Looking to install Backoff XP taillight flasher without cutting into harness

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glidepro

Reaction score
I like the idea of the flashing brake lights, but I don't want to introduce the electrical gremlins that come with cuts and crimps.

Anyone know a place I can get the plugs to mate with the OEM harness for the rear lights so I don't have to cut into or crimp onto the wires? I hate doing that.

This is for a 2005 ABS.

Last edited by a moderator:
PosiTaps give the ability to use the WIRES without cutting or splicing. That's how my LED Whelen is wired in, and there has never been a problem. That Givi harness mentioned above is also a superb idea!

Edit: 'effing phone. This auto-correct is seriously on my nerves!

PosiTaps give the ability to use the words without cutting or splicing. That's how my LED Whelen is wired in, and there has never been a problem. That Givo harness mentioned above is also a superb idea!
This^^^. I used an Admore harness but have also 'Posi-tapped' many things with no issues and it's reversible with only a pin prick left in the wire that you can use liquid 'electrical tape' to seal up.

I like the idea of the flashing brake lights, but I don't want to introduce the electrical gremlins that come with cuts and crimps.
Anyone know a place I can get the plugs to mate with the OEM harness for the rear lights so I don't have to cut into or crimp onto the wires? I hate doing that.

This is for a 2005 ABS.
I know what you mean. I was hesistant about cutting into the wire harness of my present bike for the same reason. But working on my bike I've come across soldered connections that were taped up from the factory. The way I approach it now is if I can make the connection without cutting into the factory harness great. If not then I try to do my best to make it look factory by doing a good clean install. If the rare occasion you might need to uninstall just put it back together as best as possible and tape it up. If you sell the bike the next owner probably won't notice this at all unless they go to install a similar accessory. And then they would appreciate that the previous owner at least cared about what they did to the bike.

With care, you can solder without cutting. I've done this wherever I've wanted to tap into a loom wire. One example from my cruise control installation on my '10:

(Click on image for larger view)

Yellow brake wire found by slitting loom sleeving

Insulation removed for a bit by slicing with a sharp knife, avoiding cutting copper (I actually used side-cutters, eating into the insulation bit-by-bit)

Metal strip used to support wire during "operation". Both wires tinned ...

... and soldered

Insulation tape round the join, tie holds it tight

Whole bundle wire-tied either side of the join

I went right to the connector. pulled the pins and soldered to the same leads. Under the left side cover.

Dave