Looks like the '06+ VStream is finally available

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Called to order one from University today and they informed me they

will not sell anymore because there is something wrong with them

and they dont fit right.

All are going back.

Saga continues ....

Called to order one from University today and they informed me theywill not sell anymore because there is something wrong with them

and they dont fit right.

All are going back.

Saga continues ....
well that is curious as two folks (at least)with them already have them on :blink:

Like I posted in my notes:

"Holes that catch the top cover line up OK on left side, but right side missed and can pull top away from windshield (but did not notice it move while riding)."

I called on Tuesday to inform them of:

1) How much I liked the windshield - wish I had it last season

2) the deflection at the top when in down position. With such a tall screen and all connections @ bottom it is expected - that's why they use the material they did.

3) Holes that catch the top cover do not line up.

I suspect that the 2nd is the reason, if any. I am emailing Nation Cycle to see if they infact are recalling/reworking.

Hmmm....I just ordered one from U Motors this morning from the parts manager- he didn't tell me about any problems.As long as I've been waiting for the "eerily silent" V-Stream. I hope I don't have to return it and wait some more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a word about the National Cycle V-Stream. High quality product that unfortunately doesn't fit. The "cut" holes for the decorative top piece are mis-aligned and the only thing that holds that piece are the two hex screws. Disappointing considering I have waited for this for some time now. Sending the windshield back to National Cycle tomorrow or as soon as I get their O.K to do so. Sam

Disappointing, but I'm glad to have heard about it here- I called U Motors just now and the parts guy said they were sending the shipment back to National.Another shipment should arrive in 2 weeks.Somehow that sounds familiar...I guess if the delay becomes unbearable I'll cheap out and get the new Yammie shield.I may never post here but I learn alot and appreciate all the members here who keep the rest of us informed.Thanks!! :)

Spoke with Steve from National Cycle this morning. He advised me to keep the current shield while the new shields with the "accurate" holes are being made. The process should take two weeks and then they'll ship them out to the current owners. Didn't seem intersted in having the old defective shield shipped back to them. Guess there is not much point in returning those, but I am keeping mine off the bike for now. Sam

Well, I just installed the V-Stream on my '06 and can confrim that the holes in the windshield do not match up with the FJR face plate.

The problem is that the faceplate holes - not the shield mounting screw holes - are machined too low on the shield. The hooks on the face plate enter the holes but don't engage the lower edge of the holes so as to fix the faceplate to the shield.

The mechanics of this are that the clip nuts (and their tangs) on the faceplate come down against the fjr shield mounting bracket before the hooks can engage the shield. I.e., the clip nuts stop the downward movement of the faceplate before the hooks engage. Both sides. So, the face plate is held on only by the two lower up-facing screws leaving its arms unsecured. I suppose it will function but just a matter of time until it break either in the wind or from cleaning, IMO.

IMG_0031.jpg

Too bad, too. The shield is a very nicely formed and manufactured piece.

Test ride report and photos to follow.

Bill

Also, it appears that the shield is a little too long on the bottom, preventing the faceplate from "dropping over" the bottom of the shield. That could be fixed with some stock removal. The holes, on the other hand, would seem to be irrepairable.

Oh WOW!!! Three photos of me in a row.

Ride test report. CalSci v. Rifle v. VStream

Bike: 2006 A California model. Stock suspension with unaltered settings. Rick Meyer seat in high position.

Rider: 6’3” 210 lbs. Long arms and legs.

Weather: clear, dry, calm, 70 degrees

Speed: 0 to big numbers.

I’ve had the Cal Sci tall, Rifle +3 and the VStream screens. None is perfect and each varies from the others.

I could never get the CalSci tall to be right for me. It seemed about 2” short of eliminating wind noise. At the top setting the edge of the screen split my vision. However, there was very little back pressure, no doubt because of the hole. But, I sold it and moved on. I hope the buyer is happy with it.

The Rifle provides a very nice noise reduction at the tall setting. Quieter than the Cal Sci tall and almost noise free. I look over the top of it at that setting. However, the back pressure is significant and bothersome – despite the Rifle tilt block. Maybe I’ll put a hole in it. IMO it’s the best looking screen, probably because of the tint.

The VStream is quieter than the Cal-Sci at the top setting but not as quiet as the Rifle. I look over the top of it as well. Some back pressure but not as much as the Rifle. Much to my surprise, it is quieter than the Rifle at the bottom setting. Both provide a relatively buffet free air stream at all settings. Neither is as smooth as standing on the pegs and putting my helmet in clean air.

So, as between the Rifle and the Vstream, in my experience the Rifle is quieter at the top and the VStream quieter at the bottom. Buffeting is not a problem with either. The Vstream back pressure is less and it’s not as bothersome as the Rifle’s.

Finally, I’ve come to the conclusion that the real difficulty with the FJR windscreen – in terms of providing dead air for guys my height - is not size but the distance between the screen and the rider. With any of these screens, if I move my head 3 or 4 inches closer to the screen there is no turbulence or wind noise. None.

I think I’ll cut down the stock screen and try it for fair weather.

The Vstream mounted:

Down:

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0023close.jpg

Up:

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

The Rifle mounted (down position)

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

IMG_0034close.jpg

Thanks for posting the pics. I hope the bugs get worked out on the screw/alignment issue. I want to order a VStream, but I think I'll hold off for a bit because of that.

Just got off the phone with Nat'l Cycle.

As previously reported, they are going to send out a replacment shield with the holes either relocated or made smaller.

The man said that they only sent out about 20 or so shields directly to consumers. They were able to get word to all but one of their distributors before the distributors received shipments and have recalled those shields as well.

Expects to ship replacments in a week and a half or so. I hope that's not a week and a half by the "2 more weeks" calendar.

Bill

Expects to ship replacments in a week and a half or so. I hope that's not a week and a half by the "2 more weeks" calendar.
Bill
Received an email from National Cycle that they have shipped me a parcel. Becasue I haven't ordered anything else from them it must be the replacement screen.

Bill

Looking forward to the evaluations. My CalSci got scratched up by my wife while she was cleaning it (a good deed gone awry). So either it's get another shield or work out the scratches. At least now my options are a little wider than before.

Just got off the phone with Mike Barth at U-motors. The new (redone) Vs arrived today and will ship on Thurs for those that have already ordered.

Just got off the phone with Mike Barth at U-motors. The new (redone) Vs arrived today and will ship on Thurs for those that have already ordered.
My new one (told to keep the old one) arrived from National Cycle today and I hope to get it installed tomorrow or Friday -- don't know when I'll get to ride it to test it out, however, as it is snowing here Thursday and Friday, and I'm heading out on a motorcycle trip (on the Gold Wing) on Sunday. Later this month for sure!!!

I did open it today and the shield looks very nice -- can't wait to see it on the bike and to then ride to check improvements.

Ordered mine a couple of weeks ago from U-motors. Looking forward to getting it; the stock one is quite turbulent, regardless of position.

Ordered mine a couple of weeks ago from U-motors. Looking forward to getting it; the stock one is quite turbulent, regardless of position.
How much taller than stock is the new V-stream?

GreyGoose