Looks like the Gen II is Faster

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my video is so awesome that a forum member found my video on youtube and posted it on the forum before finding my thread on the forum about the video... what does it mean!?!?!?

Nice job! Were you using a Gopro HD camera?
Yup. Instrument panel was shot in the 1080p, 127* viewing angle mode and the other views were shot in the 720p, 170* viewing angle mode. The 720p clips were actually recorded at 60fps and look surreal, but both YouTube and my video editing software don't do 60fps, so you don't get to see that :(

Oh boy, here we go....
I love how some people seem to take this seriously. I thought it would be pretty obviously an unfair comparison with my list of mods.

Stock vs. stock, the GenI definitely has the advantage:

acceleration_compare_fixed.png

...but that just goes to show that my mods resulted in a significant improvement. I'd love to see a 2003 with the same mods... in my rearview mirror :assassin:

More details here.

Although I do believe the Gen II may be a little faster, I would like to have seen a video hooked to both bikes showing the tachometer, because I tend to think the rider on the Gen I just wasn't getting on it like the rider was on the Gen II. For the Gen I to get a head start and still be run down and passed in the 1/4 mile is hard to believe, unless the Gen I rider was much less experienced than the Gen II rider. Or possibly his bike wasn't running at maximum performance.

Although I do believe the Gen II may be a little faster, I would like to have seen a video hooked to both bikes showing the tachometer, because I tend to think the rider on the Gen I just wasn't getting on it like the rider was on the Gen II. For the Gen I to get a head start and still be run down and passed in the 1/4 mile is hard to believe, unless the Gen I rider was much less experienced than the Gen II rider. Or possibly his bike wasn't running at maximum performance.
I agree and thought the same thing when I watched the video. Reminds me of when I thoroughly beat a R1 on my stock Bandit on the drag strip. The guy had no idea how to drag race. Bill

Does no one read anything?

A stock GenI is definitely faster than a stock GenII as shown by the chart I made showing acceleration vs. speed of the two bikes based on dyno data and taking into consideration the different weights and gearing of the bikes, assuming a 170lb rider on each bike. There's no arguing against this:

acceleration_compare_fixed.png

My bike is a GenII with a modded air box, slip-ons and a tuned fuel map. That's why I was faster than the GenI. By the end of the day, both of us were launching very similarly, as evidenced by our 60' times, so difference in skill was most likely not the cause for the 0.2s and 3mph difference in our best runs (which is much more significant a difference than it sounds).

Also, the video is from multiple runs to get multiple angles. The GenI got a bigger head-start (reaction time) and actually beat me to the end in the run that was recorded with the camera facing the speedo, so the video makes it appear that my bike is faster than it really was. Here's the full run from that view:

Again, much of what is being discussed here and more has been discussed in great detail already on another thread, including pictures and analysis of time slips: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=133290

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha, yesterday I took my bike out onto an open road and had planned to see "what she would do". I had no idea how powerful that motorcycle is and I have a new respect for the speed of the FJR. It was scary fast and I can tell you that I've been that fast on a car before, a Dodge Charger, but on a bike, that's a completely different thing all together.

Way more power than I will ever need, but amazing and how quickly the bike is going that fast. It is great to read this forum and see how much research has been done on this particular subject. As another member said, "good stuff". :eek: )

Gen 1's are faster than Gen 2's. Gen 2's weight more and have taller gearing. Yamaha went for more touring less sport on the Gen 2's. I rode a Gen 2 liked it!. I like my 05 more. Try wheeleeeing a Gen 2 then Wheeleee a Gen 1,much easier!. Gen 1's corner sharper, shorter swing arm. On the highway they feel the same. How can the same bike that weighs more and has taller gearing be faster,no way Jose!!!

Gen 2's are faster cause their owners weigh less than fat old middle-aged balding gen 1 owners, jes sayin' :****:

Your video should be titled Gen 2 is fast than Gen 1 with modes. So what know kidding ! Do a video both bikes the same, apples for apples. And if both riders are good the Gen 1 will always win. One of the best ways to make something go faster without going to the motor is make it lighter. My son was trying to make his YZ250 faster to win races. I said to go faster we can modify the motor or make it lighter. He said how can I make it lighter. I replied put Helium in your tires. He wins all the time now. Maybe I should put Helium in my tires on the FJR and run it at the drag strip. I bet I will shave two or three seconds off in the quarter mile instead of using STOCK AIR.

Your video should be titled Gen 2 is fast than Gen 1 with modes. So what know kidding ! Do a video both bikes the same, apples for apples. And if both riders are good the Gen 1 will always win. One of the best ways to make something go faster without going to the motor is make it lighter. My son was trying to make his YZ250 faster to win races. I said to go faster we can modify the motor or make it lighter. He said how can I make it lighter. I replied put Helium in your tires. He wins all the time now. Maybe I should put Helium in my tires on the FJR and run it at the drag strip. I bet I will shave two or three seconds off in the quarter mile instead of using STOCK AIR.
Yer kidding, right?

GP

Yer kidding, right?

GP
Of course he's kidding,everyone knows the stock GenII YAMAHA air makes the bike faster. :matrix: