Loose Mirror Mount in Fairing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pcd

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just picked up an 06 FJR-AE today from a private seller and need to get the maintenance caught up. First thing I noticed is that the left side mirror is very loose where it connects into the fairing. I had trouble getting enough tupperware off to access the nut on the inside. Suggestions?

Phil

You need to remove the inner (black) plastic cover behind the mirror(s) to access the 2 nuts. It's tricky to remove, and don't remember how, but you should be able to tackle the job with the owner's manual's instructions and a little patience. Now that you're there, do both sides and check the battery's connections. Good luck.

JC

Thanks. Sounds like my first "farkle" will be an owners manual. Until then any specific experience appreciated as the dang thing is flappin in the breeze. It's actually too loose to vibrate :)

kaitsdad had a wonderful pictorial but I can't find it. I didn't see it referenced in the Gen II Bin-O'-Facts, either. :unsure:

This is one thing that SHOULD be linked as there are many new owners who could use the information.

Sounds like my first "farkle" will be an owners manual.
Go for the factory service manual instead, available from Gary McCoy at garymccoy at mondakmotorsports dot com (convert to an email address).

Will do on the factory service manual, but surely somebody's recently switched out mirrors on a gen II. I just don't want to break a $200 piece of tupperware trying to tighten a $1 nut. I'll give it a fresh try this a.m.

You don't have an owner's manual? It should come with the bike, and that's why I suggested it. But a service manual is better indeed.

It should be easy to figure out buddy. Your first step is to remove the headlight adjusting knob, which has a small set screw on the side. Turn it until you see it. Once off, remove the big nut holding the assembly. Don't be surprised if it's broken; many techs break them during assembly for not being careful. You have to bend it pretty good to put it back; that will probably be your biggest challenge. Other than that, the lockable cubby is your next challenge. After that, just remove the obvious screws (look for ones facing the fork tubes, on the inside) and just wiggle the parts out. I did mine over a year ago, so can't help you with step by step instructions, but I did it without any instructions at all, so it's not that hard. Good luck.

JC