Losing my hearing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyahouse

newbs need the forum
Reaction score
Dad passed away about 4 years ago. I still miss him every day. I'm sure many of you know how that is. I find myself remembering the things he used to say. "Son?" "Yeah, Dad?" "Don't EVER get old, son." I was never sure how to answer that one. But it looks like I'm not following Dad's advice too well.

The other day I tried to turn up the treble a little... in the car. We all know what incredible stereos most cars today have. My 6 speaker Camry is no exception. However, the treble control wasn't working. I turned it all the way up, but it didn't seem to work. I tried a different station. I tried different songs. I turned it all the way down, then all the way up. Wait a minute: it was indeed working, but just not very much. Then it hit me. It's not the radio. It's me. I'm losing my hearing. I turned the bass up and then down. Huge difference. Midrange? Same thing. But it's very hard for me to hear any difference when I turn the treble up and down. I remember years ago that when I turned up the treble, it was irritating. All the cymbals and that awful tinny sound, I rarely liked turning up the treble. But now? I can't hardly hear that stuff on ANY radio I listen to. Talking to a friend, he mentioned that your ability to hear the treble is the first thing you lose.

Have any of you ever noticed this same thing?

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
Get them professionally checked and not at some strip mall that sells hearing aids. If you do have significant hearing loss and need aids, then do it, move on and enjoy hearing life.

I have it too. I recently went to a local audiologist for my second pair. We wanted to sell me a pr for $7200. See ya. I went to where I bought the first pr - she wanted $5400 for same ones. I went on-line and bought them (Seimens Micon) and other options for $3600. They were set up per my hearing test. I plan to buy the equipment to adjust them myself as it takes a number of trips to get them dialed in - cost will be about $500. If it's your first pr, I suggest buying them from a local audiologist.

Yep. My hearing is not good due to too many loud motors, rock concerts, and shooting guns. I now wear hearing protection whenever I'm near any loud noises. I never ride without ear plugs. Hearing loss is cumulative and permanent. Look up tinnitus if you want to know what's next if you don't protect your hearing.

Scuba killed my hearing. Wear really good earplugs and get your hearing checked. Dont skip the earplugs ever, not while riding, not at the Barry Manilow concert, never.

Most of us "Mature Gentlemen" will have a high frequency loss from to many loud toys and/or tools in our lives. It sucks big time and sounds like you are a classic example with not hearing the treble. I agree with others, seek out an audiologist at a local clinic that is not dependent on sales of aids. Good Luck.

...Good Luck.
biggrin.png
biggrin.png
biggrin.png

Where's Garrett Morris when you need him?

For others reading this thread:

Ear plugs when riding. Ear plugs of muffs when mowing the lawn or using any other power tools.

ALWAYS. It's better to save it than to try and recover the loss with tech.

Scuba killed my hearing. Wear really good earplugs and get your hearing checked. Dont skip the earplugs ever, not while riding, not at the Barry Manilow concert, never.

Your right on that Eric. All those ear squeezes & equalizing under pressure. I hated riding with ear plugs most of my life, couldn't hear my pricey pipes!! I am used to them now and if I ride to get fuel and back without them the bike sounds unusually loud.

My uncle was a corporate pilot for his entire career.

Over the decades of being in aircraft with the APU up and running, he lost the upper range of his hearing.

A lot of people have said goodby to tweeters, the upper end of the mid range and (for better or worse) most of what their spouse say because many types of hearing aids are not covered by insurance. Repeat after me, "WHAT?" "Say that again please!" "Sorry, I missed what you just said because my hearing aid battery just died."
wink.png

Shooting and working in a noisy environment did it for me years ago. I've lost a lot in certain ranges and had tinnitus for years. I wear plugs now (had to try a lot to find some that wouldn't irritate my small ear canals), but there's not much left to save at this point, I'm afraid.

Yep. Tinnitus, and the associated high frequency sensitivity loss, is almost unavoidable to some degree as we age.

And yeah it is definitely accelerated by exposure to loud noise (like in a motorcycle helmet) or music (like from in ear speakers). But how does one go through a life with no exposure to loud sounds?

I've got it (tinnitus). More so in my left ear than the right one, probably from that ear being closer to the driver's window in the car. I noticed that when I'm laying on my right ear I don't hear the birds chirping outside in the morning. When I roll over, oh... there they are. ;)

I can't ride without wearing earplugs anymore or else it stresses me out both mentally and physically. About 15 minutes after putting in some 33 dBA plugs I can hear conversation somewhat, the music in my helmet's earspeakers no problem, and the bike / engine adequately.

Been to the audiologist and she told me what I already knew. No need to go back (for me). Just need to take care of what is left.

What? :unsure:

Our dad was a machinest for close to 30 something years. He listened to the TV so loud I could feel it. He had lost most up his upper range hearing from all the machine noise. His low range hearing was fine. It drove him nuts because he could hear the bass coming from a car next to him, but couldnt hear me talking from the passenger seat. He taught Patch and I to protect our eyes and ears.

During the day, I wear Oakley sunglasses and love them. When I work at night, I wear clear Oakelys. I have since I started this job. Never had blood, spit, glass or anything else in them. Patch and I wear ear protection for everyting: Chainsaws, motorcycles, air tools in the garage, and especially at the range. At the range, I run plugs and ear muffs. Remember that if you are shooting, ear plugs are not doing enough. The over-ear muffs help protect the vulnerable bones around the ear. The compression will damage the surrounding bones and you will suffer significant hearing loss. I shoot with lots of older guys that can't hear shit because back in the day, everyone thought plugs were good enough. I use electronic ear muffs for every activity I can. Obviously, MC riding doesn't lend itself to that.

Several years a s the Weapons Officer on A Destroyer did my hearing in, just not quite enough to get any VA disability when i got out 20 years ago.

Working now to see if the VA might just recognize both my Tinnitus and the High Frequency hearing loss. Thankfully I xeroxed my Heath Record before I retired and have the Audiology exams that document the loss from 1981-1983.

We were the school ship for training a bunch ofNaval Gunfire spotters and i stood on the bridgewing for days with one ear covered by the S/P phone and the other exposed so i could listen to the Captain etc....

We'll see, I'm a hell of a lot better off than a whole bunch of young men that have served repeatedly in harms way in these last two debacles.

Hearing Aids are damn expensive.

I bought my first set through Sam's Club, with an Audiologist etc digital programmable etc for about $2K.

Lost one here recently and as i hope the VA is going to pick me up and cover me i bought a pair of Generic instruments https://www.mdhearingaid.com/shop/mdhearingaid-air/ for $699. They seem to work just as good as the $2K jobs, will be interesting to see how they compare if the VA takes me on and fits me with the "Good Stuff".

My wife loves me alot more when i wear the damn things too!
smile.png
TV and radio Volume about half of what they are without them.

I have worn them for over 30 yrs. I have always bought the best. I now have some that Bluetooth the phone and TV direct

To the aids. Expensive, yes but I am worth it. It is also good for your friends and family. You should not be cheep with something that will make your live soooo much better. I say get the best you can afford, you will love them. Also go to someone you can trust, not some group that is only out for profit. This is all just my opinion as a long time user.

Big John, the VA should pick it up although they may classify you as a disabled vet with 0% disability they will take care of your hearing aids and misc costs associated with that, batteries, ear exams etc. You may get rejected first time but definitely appeal.

Garyahouse, If you are still working the state of FL has(had?) a program through vocational rehab which will pay for your hearing aids if an audiologist can document your hearing loss is extreme enough that you need hearing aids for continued employment.