• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Lost my 06 heat shield

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik6417

Reaction score
A local dealer mentioned that an 06 heat shield will fit my 05 and he has had one in stock that another guy bailed on, "Had it for months". Figured I would pick it up when I had the new Road Smart skins mounted.

Well as it turned out it was sold and shipped to CO (Wednesday) the day before I arrived for the new tires.

Had plans of slipping it in place before my ride to Houston on Thurs. Now that I am back and the ride was :blink: hot on the boys , to say the least. I am looking for a used one or a part # to search the interwebs for the best price.

Thanks

Rik

OEM PARTS

Above is a link to a Texas dealer - I've checked brake pads and their prices seem pretty good.

I looked around and couldn't find the blanket, couldn't figure out under what system it's listed; good luck!

Like you, I've got an 05 and have tried many of the usual tricks to reduce tank heat. I think our (Gen I) problem is that there isn’t any appreciable air circulating under, or over, the tank to carry away any heat. And this is basically a closed system in that we can’t reduce the heat from one area without sending it somewhere else (and the fuel tank is a pretty good heat sink). I have used a blanket and it didn’t provide a significant improvement. I’ve used (still do) pipe insulation to fill the spaces to the rear and sides of the tank – that does keep the heat from seeping out onto my other brain area – but in my humble opinion it also keeps more heat under the tank that contributes to the tank heating up. And again, I think our main problem is that there isn’t any airflow over or under the tank to dissipate the heat. I originally put the Frost King insulation on the bottom of the tank and found that that did work to some extent. I have since bought some 2000 degree heat shield (sticky on the back that Haulin’Ashe wrote about) that I’ve applied over the frost king stuff on the bottom of the tank. I think that has helped. And I’ve done the complete Cromeit mod and that probably did some good, but to be honest I didn’t really have the problem that was supposed to fix.

Here’s what I think and have found after 3 years of fiddle-screwing with this challenge – as long as I’m moving, the tank gets some air movement – not much, but some, and the heat is bearable; regardless of outside temperature. HOWEVER – once I stop for a minute or two (in ~85 degree wx and above), or get into slow moving traffic, it’s friggin’ over! And although the global warming fanatics discount this effect, I actually think the sun beating on the tank contributes to the heat challenge – yeah, I know, radical thinking showing a complete lack of political understanding. Once the tank heats up, there’s not a damn thing I can do about it – except add fuel to cool it down if there’s enough room in the tank. Gotta tell you, one of the best feelings in the world is filling a hot Gen I tank with cool gas and wrapping your sweating overheated legs around that tank – yeah, it feels that good!! I think the insulation I’ve added to the bottom of the tank does keep it “cooler” than it otherwise would be, and I think adding insulation is worth the effort, but I also think that without added airflow over and/or under the tank, we of the faster Gen I clan are fighting a battle of miniscule return and the most we’ll ever achieve is a Pyrrhic victory.

It’s been fun tinkering and filling gaps and sticking insulation all over the place – but in my experience, it won’t “fix” the heat problem. And let me be clear, my only problem is with tank heat, I’ve never been bothered with heat on the legs (lower), only with heat on the alternate brain site and legs wrapped around the tank.

Let me also be clear and tell you that others on this site have told of miracle fixes with one thing or another and I’m sure some will chime in here - I’m not discounting their observations, I’m just giving you my experience and results. I wish you the best of luck, and if you get a blanket, let us know how it works.

Hmmm, how about a hydration system that will release a spray of water over the tank to carry the heat away...kinda like those systems you see at 29 Palms that spray water on, well, you! I think the only challenge will be carrying the 55 gallon drum of water required...

Last edited by a moderator:
A local dealer mentioned that an 06 heat shield will fit my 05 and he has had one in stock that another guy bailed on, "Had it for months". Figured I would pick it up when I had the new Road Smart skins mounted. Well as it turned out it was sold and shipped to CO (Wednesday) the day before I arrived for the new tires.

Had plans of slipping it in place before my ride to Houston on Thurs. Now that I am back and the ride was :blink: hot on the boys , to say the least. I am looking for a used one or a part # to search the interwebs for the best price.

Thanks

Rik
_________________________________________________________________________________

I have a brand new one, in the package for an 07. Part # is 3p6-2416f-00. Paid over $100 new. $60.00 shipped in the US. PM me for further if interested. Scott