Love my Pirelli's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Afast03nNJ

Reaction score
I can't believe I've been riding for 25K miles on the garbage BT020's that came on the bike. Had the usual issues with the BT020's, front cupping and tread noise once the cupping started, but they always seemed to handle nicely.

The Pirelli's have made a huge improvement in overall ride quality. They are very smooth and the biggest thing I notice is the lack squirming over tar snakes. The winding road up to my development is covered in tar snakes. They are horrable when the sun is shinning down on them. Don't even notice them now. Handling seems excellent, they hold a nice straight line through the curves too. Overall I'm extreamly pleased with these.

I can't believe I've been riding for 25K miles on the garbage BT020's that came on the bike. Had the usual issues with the BT020's, front cupping and tread noise once the cupping started, but they always seemed to handle nicely.The Pirelli's have made a huge improvement in overall ride quality. They are very smooth and the biggest thing I notice is the lack squirming over tar snakes. The winding road up to my development is covered in tar snakes. They are horrable when the sun is shinning down on them. Don't even notice them now. Handling seems excellent, they hold a nice straight line through the curves too. Overall I'm extreamly pleased with these.
25,000 on the BT020's that came on the bike ?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: (j/k ,,,it is Friday isn't it )

Good information to know on the Pirelli's .....

Last edited by a moderator:
Might try them next-the PR2's that I have now will be toast at 7k which is not bad but less expensive shoes can do that. Don't know how some guys get 10-12k on them.. My 020's went 6k but bite on tar snakes and gave a good wobble with hands off the bars- the PR2's are much better.[yeah I know-don't take your hands off the bars]

Best tire I've ever run on the FJR. Still the standard by which all others are compared to in my garage.

When you see the rear start to look a little "chewy" on the middle surface, RUN to the nearest replacement, do not walk. You have less than 300 miles left before steel shows.

I can't believe I've been riding for 25K miles on the garbage BT020's that came on the bike. Had the usual issues with the BT020's, front cupping and tread noise once the cupping started, but they always seemed to handle nicely.The Pirelli's have made a huge improvement in overall ride quality. They are very smooth and the biggest thing I notice is the lack squirming over tar snakes. The winding road up to my development is covered in tar snakes. They are horrable when the sun is shinning down on them. Don't even notice them now. Handling seems excellent, they hold a nice straight line through the curves too. Overall I'm extreamly pleased with these.
You might want to try an arced line through the curves...I find it works soooo much better!

Sorry! It's Friday, so I thought I'd get in on it!

Best tire I've ever run on the FJR. Still the standard by which all others are compared to in my garage.
I am going to give these a try when the pr2's need replacing. I noticed there are two different specs for the 180/55/17. One has a letter designation and costs about $14 more. I am guessing a higher load rated tire. Which tire do you run?

thanx

...I noticed there are two different specs for the 180/55/17. One has a letter designation and costs about $14 more. I am guessing a higher load rated tire. Which tire do you run?
Well, that enigma doesn't have a clear answer in this Forum. I run the E spec, ride with a pillion most of the time, bomb the roads when alone and get ~12k miles per rear tire. The E spec tire has ever so slightly less tread than the non-E but it has much stiffer sidewalls which helps the tire run cooler, which promotes longer tread life. Also, the stiffer sidewall helps handle the extra pork of the FJR.

One faction says that the E is only intended to price gouge the user and is a ripoff. Many of the non-E users complain about only getting ~6k miles from their Diablo Strada rear tire. Most people are alarmed that the E has less tread than the non-E. One intrepid person says to pump up the non-E 4-6 psi over Pirelli's maximum pressure rating and you will be fine. Hmm, well, that will stiffen up the sidewall and make it run cooler, like the E.

If you do your own tire mounting, the E can be a lot harder to install. There are tales of bent and damaged manual tire changers.

Best tire I've ever run on the FJR...You have less than 300 miles left before steel shows.
Every one of my rear Diablos were run until the silver wear bars showed up ;)
No shit Alan, I have run 2 rear Stradas, myself. I thought this was the norm until 2nd rear went to cords in the middle of a trip. The fact that you get 12,000 miles to a rear floors me. I do not think that I've gotten much over 5,000 on one.

Be aware that the rear tire shags pretty darn fast. When it flat spots leaning in feels like falling off a hill. If you even suspect that rear is done, chances are it is. Keep a good eye out for the "chunky" look that Jeff speaks of.

Did I mention that I will never run a rear Strada again if I have a choice? Their fronts are A1 in my book.

I've been running Roadsmarts for the last three rotations on the rear, I HATED the way they cupped and wore on the front. I swapped to a Strada on the front and I am really pleased with the difference. At 8K, no cupping and not wearing bad.

...I noticed there are two different specs for the 180/55/17. One has a letter designation and costs about $14 more. I am guessing a higher load rated tire. Which tire do you run?
Well, that enigma doesn't have a clear answer in this Forum. I run the E spec, ride with a pillion most of the time, bomb the roads when alone and get ~12k miles per rear tire. The E spec tire has ever so slightly less tread than the non-E but it has much stiffer sidewalls which helps the tire run cooler, which promotes longer tread life. Also, the stiffer sidewall helps handle the extra pork of the FJR.

One faction says that the E is only intended to price gouge the user and is a ripoff. Many of the non-E users complain about only getting ~6k miles from their Diablo Strada rear tire. Most people are alarmed that the E has less tread than the non-E. One intrepid person says to pump up the non-E 4-6 psi over Pirelli's maximum pressure rating and you will be fine. Hmm, well, that will stiffen up the sidewall and make it run cooler, like the E.

If you do your own tire mounting, the E can be a lot harder to install. There are tales of bent and damaged manual tire changers.
Thanx for the quick and thorough reply. It is suprising that there is not a consensus of the board on this topic...we all usually agree on everything!

...I do not think that I've gotten much over 5,000 on one...When it flat spots leaning in feels like falling off a hill...Keep a good eye out for the "chunky" look that Jeff speaks of.
Did I mention that I will never run a rear Strada again if I have a choice? Their fronts are A1 in my book.
If you were running the E spec Diablo Strada and only got 5k miles something is wrong. I'm getting the ~12k miles including some days at the drag strip. I really don't know how anyone could run a rear tire under much worse conditions than I do. While it gets really hot in WV, it's the humidity that makes it suck so bad, the guys in TX, AZ and CA actually run their tires in much hotter temps. There is no doubt that a Pirelli Diablo will have a very short life, but Diablo Strada should do much better and a Strada E really ought to deliver at least 10k miles. I dunno why you got such crappy mileage
shrug.gif

~~I hope you are back to wearing out tires very soon!~~

I am also floored by the milages reported on this board, 25k, 12k, even 6k on Pirelli's or any tire for that matter!!!!!

I just dont get it! :unsure: 3 - 4K if I'm lucky and I have run the Stradas (dont know what spec) Powers, PR2's, Storms, BTO's and cant remember what others. I'm always 1up and never a heavy load (except for my big butt).

Well I guess it is what it is!

As of today I have 10,500 miles on a set of Avon Storms. Rear is down to the wear bars but tread in the same part of the middle of the tire is still 1/4 inch deep I would say. The front does not even look worn. No cupping on either, PSI of 42 always. I was getting less than 3000 on BT021 in the front and 7000 on the rear BT021.

I am staying with the Storms for now.

My 2c.

Well I've got a set of Angels coming-$257 shipped. We'll see how they go-I miss my Azarro's, but life continues.

Stradas on my '04 FJR --

11950 miles on a standard, non-E rear, all center tread gone.

11010 miles on front, bad side-to-side low speed oscillation last 750 miles or so.