Low down dirty 'stich

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevec677

Reaction score
After 20,000 miles last year, my Hi-viz Aerostich R3 is looking a little drab. I see that Aerostich recommends their Nik-wax products. Does anyone have any recommendations or success with Nik-wax?

Don't know anything about the specifics of using it with Aerostich products but I have used it for years on walking, cycling and motorcycling fabrics with great success. IMHO there is nothing like it.

Stick to Nikwax's recommendations.

1. Make sure the washing machine is clean (no trace of detergents).

2. Clean the garment using NikWax Tech Wash.

3. 'wash' the garment in NikWax TX.Direct.

I used Nikwax on my Goretex hiking gear and it worked well. I found using the cleaner first then the sealer worked great on my jacket & pants to keep water beading off.

Aerostich always used to recommend Scotchguard, which works well at keep'in the water off, butt eventually washes off and makes the seat slippery.
sad.png

Ya want yer 'Stich ta look tattered, that way ya get "long rider" cred. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only ever used the Aerostich-recommended NIKWAX Tech Wash/TX.Direct Weatherproofing stuff on my Roadcrafter and it worked well (using that method since 2004) as that suit rarely leaked. I got an R3 last year and plan to continue washing it with those products. Never considered Scotchguard as I figured a wash-in product designed for Goretex was more comprehensive.

Great products!I use the Tech Wash/TX.Direct for my jacket and pants and the Basewash for my underwear and helmet's liner.The Basewash Smell great!
smile.png
Αlso the visor proof works great for the rain on the helmet shield and on the windshield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the Nikwax products for all my Gore-Tex gear. Restored water repellent features of an older 'stich and didn't lose too much street cred in the process! Easy directions to follow, although the SO makes me use the local laundromat for the MC gear.
no.gif

--G

From what I've been reading Hi-Vis tends to fade from UV more than other colors. Have seen suggested to buy a spray on UV protectant.

I've only ever used the Aerostich-recommended NIKWAX Tech Wash/TX.Direct Weatherproofing stuff on my Roadcrafter and it worked well (using that method since 2004) as that suit rarely leaked. I got an R3 last year and plan to continue washing it with those products. Never considered Scotchguard as I figured a wash-in product designed for Goretex was more comprehensive.
Guess I'll have ta check out the nikwax wash. Bean run'in the 'Stich since the late '80s 'n when I got it, they used to recommend Scotch guard.
thumbsup.gif

Now that winter's 'bout over, maybe I'll waterproof this thing!

There's also a cleaner designed for technical fabrics like gore tex called Sport Wash. I use it on my hunting clothing because it does a good job washing with the important benefits of no smells and thorough rinsing. Probably the same stuff as the Nikwax wash and available at your local Walmart.

I also highly recommend the Nikwax for Stich gear. My Darien and Roadcrafter get the treatment at least once a year and it works.

As an FYI if you don't already know this Aerostich does a cleaning and restore service. Last I knew it was around $99.00.
Thought I would mention it.

Dave
I have used Aerostitch's cleaning service but forgot what I paid for it. I had it done in conjunction with a zipper replacement. Think shipping was about $15 each way from NC so it might be hard to justify unless you need something else done to the suit. It came back as close to new as a used Roadcrafter can be.