Low End GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Believe me Keith, I just walked away from a unit w/ 19meg of on board memory. It sucked! if you want to use this thing in more than 1/4 to 1/2 a state, you're going to want a decent amount of internal memory or the ability to expand using a data card.
That makes sense, the refurb 2610 says it comes with a 128mb compact flash. That should be pretty good, right? I will also almost always be planning my routes on the computer before going.

Also, it says it comes with a A/C power adapter, that means I would also need to purchase power cord to run it from my battery, or can you splice that to the battery???

I couldn't find anything that said if the 2610 was waterproof or not. The Quest-R is. I am batting those 2 back and forth. The quest R also says it has internal memory instead of a flash card. I don't know if that means hard drive, or not....

Damn this is confusing!!!!! Stupid free market!!!! Thanks for the comments and help.
The Quest is waterproof and the memory is solid state (flash?) and not a hard drive. Hard drives and bike (IMO) do not mix.
I also have a Qwest 1 and it is waterproof and really useful on rides. I haven't wired it to the bike but the internal battery will last all day and the go home feature allows me to call home with an ETA almost to the minute. I am planning a trip to Yellowstone and I just plug in where I want to go and presto I have a route and time. BTW it doesn't cost much but the mounting hardware can set you back $50 to $100. That is true for all of them. IMHO ram balls are the key. Qwest 2 had more memory (+$100)

Any comments on the Zumo 550?....good bad, indifferent?...
I did not need the 550 but have it anyway. I only use the bluetooth portion and I don't listen to music while riding so I am not using the XM function either. They did not have the 400 or 450 when I purchased mine. If zumofurom is up there is a lot of info on that site.zumoforums. I have used it in my cage for vacations and it makes a nice hands free cell phone unit as well as GPS. My unit went completely dead with in the first month but it was replaced by Garmin and it has worked well ever since. The bike mount contact cover has not held up but Garmin is replacing those with a different style so that problem should be fixed. As far as functionality as a GPS. It works great. I have let it find shortest, not quickest routes to home from places and the roads it routed me on were interesting and fun. I had avoid interstate turned on and shortest distance picked on routing. I have planned routes using mapsource and this worked out well.

This was my first full mapping GPS. Previously I only had an etrex which didn't have any maps. I would have loved it if the weather radar map functionality of the 376 could have been put into the Zumo. It would have done everything I wanted then. I currently use my cell phone for weather radars and forecast.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Replying to Low End GPS:

It's not worth it...the whole package...GPS Unit, Ram set up, hardwiring kit...etc...

It's not going to be cheap...so my advice would be spend the money on a decent unit and avoid all of the headaches that come with trying to save money. Or just wait for the good units to drop in price. Just my .02...plus I'm the guy that ALWAYS tries to find a "deal" then it becomes a disaster later and I usually will end of spending more in the long run.

Replying to Low End GPS:
It's not worth it...the whole package...GPS Unit, Ram set up, hardwiring kit...etc...

It's not going to be cheap...so my advice would be spend the money on a decent unit and avoid all of the headaches that come with trying to save money. Or just wait for the good units to drop in price. Just my .02...plus I'm the guy that ALWAYS tries to find a "deal" then it becomes a disaster later and I usually will end of spending more in the long run.
I will tend to agree with you. The zumo comes with everything you need to put it on your bike. I know a lot of the guys on this forum use other mounts but what comes in the box works and you do not need anything else except for earbuds or bluetoothto listen to it. It even comes with a car mount so you can use it in your car and you do not need anything else thier to listen to it. I believe the tomtom rider is the same way plus it has a bluetooth earpiece with it.

I would agree to find a New Overhaulled (NOH) or a good deal on a higher end unit than going for a low end unit.

Make sure it's waterproof as a minimum.

The Zumo 450 comes with everything needed to mount and wire. Nothing else required. And that's a ram mount, by the way.

Well, points taken.

I wouldn't feel bad about dropping $450 if I was going to use it often, but I hardley ever take long road trips.

I know almost every road around KY and S. Indiana, so I don't need it for local riding.

I might just wing it without the GPS and use google map directions. I mean, they tell you the exact distance until the next turn, so it won't be that hard navigate. I'll just have to bring maps with me in case I miss a turn. I'm sure after I drive a mile farther than google maps specifies, I'll realize I missed it. It just means paying more attention.

I'd rather have new front forks and a radar detector anyway!

We forgot to mention the most important thing about GPS. They're COOL. Now, put a price on that.

I recently got a Magellan Crossover from Amazon for about $330 that so far I love. My first priority for getting a GPS was I wanted something I could use on the bike, in the car and hiking/snowshoeing with the pooch. The Crossover is the first one out of the box to give a somewhat decent driving helper person thingy as well as a topographic/hiking map mode. So far it's been great on the bike AND on the trails. It isn't perfect, but I realized that for the money I could spend and such I would have to accept the fact that it was a compromise.

The biggest problem as I see it is when folks want to send me Garmin-centric route files.

consumer reports just did a review of gps units. i haven't read the article, but did scan the reviews, and they rated the magellan 2000 a best buy. i only noticed that because i bought one new from buy.com for $180, if memory serves.

If memory serves, the Magellon 2000 is way too heavy for a bike mount. I tried one, but took it back when the mapping would either show me on the wrong road, or in a field near a road. But I don't know what map version that was. It could have been outdated. This was somewhere around Christmas past.

Am I remembering the right one? Do you have this thing on your bike?

edit: Of course, the Zumo isn't exactly light. The mount is solid, though, and it never moves or shakes.

The Magellan Crossover is sometimes also referred to as the RoadMate 2500. It's mounted on my bike using the mount that came with the unit and a TechMount. I've hit some pretty good bumps and it hasn't given the slightest hint of coming off.

Crossover Info

If memory serves, the Magellon 2000 is way too heavy for a bike mount. I tried one, but took it back when the mapping would either show me on the wrong road, or in a field near a road. But I don't know what map version that was. It could have been outdated. This was somewhere around Christmas past.Am I remembering the right one? Do you have this thing on your bike?

edit: Of course, the Zumo isn't exactly light. The mount is solid, though, and it never moves or shakes.
i have the magellan roadmate 2000 on my fjr using a techmount. have it mounted via velcro, haven't had any issues of it falling off. i've ordered a clutch bracket mount for the upcoming fj rally for my fj. i've not had any issues re bad mapping, but the upcoming rally in and near the cherohala, deals gap (ugh), and TWO will indicate any issues outside of normal urban use.

I must have tried something different. Heck, I can't remember for sure what that thing was. I didn't keep it very long due to the map errors that it had.