lower cost internal ballast H.I.D. lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DailyCommuter

Illegitimi Non Carborundum
Reaction score
I thought I would post this link because I know the HID can be pricey. I have always had good luck with the items I buy from here. And don't yell at me because they cater to the BMW crowd

HID clicky

I tested those lights, and several other versions of the same internal-ballast lamps.

If you are looking for serious LD-riding auxiliary lamps, then save your money.

I like My Hella Micro DE Xenons - external ballasts make it less simple to install, but it can be done. A larger reflector arrangement would be more effective, but would seriously detract from the look and feel.

Patience and careful shopping can significantly reduce the cost of entry.

Last edited by a moderator:
HEY, THEY CATER TO THE BMW CROWD!!!

Oh, sorry. Just read the rest of your post, DC.

Seriously, though, I appreciate the heads up on the less-expensive idea......and REALLY appreciate the input of Warchild, bramfrank and Grumpy. I've been eyeballing the Hella Micro DE Xenons, and praying that I find something cheaper (in price, not quality) before I pull the trigger. Sounds like that's not likely to happen.

HEY, THEY CATER TO THE BMW CROWD!!!
Oh, sorry. Just read the rest of your post, DC.

Seriously, though, I appreciate the heads up on the less-expensive idea......and REALLY appreciate the input of Warchild, bramfrank and Grumpy. I've been eyeballing the Hella Micro DE Xenons, and praying that I find something cheaper (in price, not quality) before I pull the trigger. Sounds like that's not likely to happen.
I saw a set out of France sell on Ebay for $150 . . . I got one of the 2 sets I've bought for $250 shipped. The other (for my last bike) was $350.

Patience is a virtue.

Patience is a virtue.
Indeed it is.

The Hella Micro DE's (which I have on my Hayabusa) are true HID Projector lens aux lamps, and are COMPLETELY awesome.

But are very, very spendy. :(

But you never know when a less expensive, true HID Projector lens aux lamp may hit the market... one that is small and compact like the Hella's.....

bling_cool.gif

frontshot.jpg

side.jpg

close_front.jpg

Well??????????
Tee-hee.....
bling_cool.gif

Truthfully, I shouldn't tease y'all with these photos, because I have not, in fact, even lit them up yet! I just recently got them installed on the Top Gun brackets.

So I actually have no idea yet how they are going to compare with the PHIDs or Hella's, etc. I am testing them out for a distributor and providing feedback to him; they may or may not want to go back to the drawing board and make adjustments based upon my feedback. Only if he allows me, will I discuss them further, and only after I have tested them under real-world conditions.

So, sorry for the tease, but, ya gotta admit.. the lamp body finish just happens to be an amazingly close approximation to the 2004 Cerulean Silver paint! :thumbsup:

I think I've seen those on Alibaba (a Chinese trade web site). Cheap. Probably cheap enough to use as throwaways if the importer doesn't mark 'em up too much.

Let us know how well they work

Well??????????
Tee-hee.....
bling_cool.gif

Truthfully, I shouldn't tease y'all with these photos, because I have not, in fact, even lit them up yet! I just recently got them installed on the Top Gun brackets.

So I actually have no idea yet how they are going to compare with the PHIDs or Hella's, etc. I am testing them out for a distributor and providing feedback to him; they may or may not want to go back to the drawing board and make adjustments based upon my feedback. Only if he allows me, will I discuss them further, and only after I have tested them under real-world conditions.

So, sorry for the tease, but, ya gotta admit.. the lamp body finish just happens to be an amazingly close approximation to the 2004 Cerulean Silver paint! :thumbsup:
I'll predict that you won't be as happy as you think at the moment. WC, there's no substitute for square inches of reflector surface when it comes to lighting projectors!!

What ever came of these lights Dale? Thumbs up or down? Or jury is still out?
Jury is largely in, save for one final test of the Full Driving Lamps this weekend.

QUICK INITIAL FINDINGS :

LOW-BEAM Lamps: I have high comments about these, though I do not think they will be primary players in the LD scene. The extraordinary cut-off definitely allows them to be used against oncoming traffic with no issues! The amount of light coming out of these bad boys is vastly superior to the FJR's stock low-beam output. They are roughly equivalent to having two Low-Beam-Only HID capsules in the FJR's headlight housing. When I lit the two off together (HIDs in the stock housing/low-beam HID Lamps), it was completely stunning.

Here is a shot of the beamcast from the Low-Beam HID Driving Lamps.... this is *just* the Low-Beam Lamps only (stock headlight off). How is this for a sharp cut-off beam?!

Low-beam_Beamcast.jpg

I see these lamps being sought by those with modest stock headlight output (which is a lot of bikes) who commute or otherwise are deal with traffic a lot.

HIGH-BEAM LAMPS: At first I thought this version was roughly equivalent to the Hella Micro DE's, however.... it is possible they are even better! I like these lamps even though they are not the massive downrange flamethrowers that most LD guys want. Like the Micro DE's, the quality of light seems much better when compared to the relatively harsh glare of the PHIDs. I'll make a final overall determination this coming Saturday evening, when I take the FJR to on a long, all-night run to Nevada.

This is the beamcast of the High-Beam Lamps only, taken from the same spot as the above photo - some pretty sunning output here!

HighBeam_DrivingLamps_beamcast.jpg

When I get down to Nevada, I will be staying with someone who has PHIDs on his VStrom, so we will take some side-by-side night photos to see how these two lamps compare in a real-world, head-to-head contest.