lower cost internal ballast H.I.D. lights

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Enlighten me, if you please . . . the pic on the web site shows external ballasted drivnig lights . . . what's with the 'high beam' and 'low beam' photos in your post?

Enlighten me, if you please . . . the pic on the web site shows external ballasted drivnig lights . . . what's with the 'high beam' and 'low beam' photos in your post?
If you look on their web site they sell a high beam or a low beam unit. They are fixed beam, but you can choose one or the other

If you look on their web site they sell a high beam or a low beam unit. They are fixed beam, but you can choose one or the other
Correct. I have four (4) of these lamps for testing, 2 HID Low-Beam Cutoff, and two HID Driving Lamps.

In addition to that, I have yet a 3rd set of HID Aux Lamps I will be testing next week.

Notice that on the web page that it is Dale's Bike in the picture?!?
Yep, here is that photo in a larger size.... this is when I only had one Low-Beam Lamp, and one High-Beam Lamp. Pretty easy to tell which one is which.... B)

OneLow-OneHigh.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing the capabilities (and inadequacies) of the HID retrofitted headlamp buckets, I'm thinking the ideal setup for us non-desert warrior types would be a pair of the low beam cut-off lamps. As you may recall, one of the big problems with the telescopic HID lights is when you flip them to high beam you lose all the foreground lighting. With these babies, you'd still have plenty of foreground lighting on high, and they would supplement the low beams as well.

Having HID High beams that would turn off and on a lot doesn't seem like it would be ideal to me. I know that most Xenon lights don't come on immediately (a short firing delay) and then when they do come on they take a while before they are throwing full light. Having to switch them on and off all the time would make me a bit nervous.

In addition to that, I have yet a 3rd set of HID Aux Lamps I will be testing next week.
Here's a couple shots of this other HID Lamp.... this one looks potentially awesome. It is a spot pencil-beam, supposed to be very intensely focused. Ignitor in back of the lamp, and it uses Slim Ballasts. Note connector opening at rear bottom of lamp:

newlamp.jpg

Really looking forward to testing this lamp because of it's almost perfect size for motocycle applications: an ~ 4" round reflector housing, yet slim enough to preclude mounting problems:

newlampComparing.jpg

I have only taken this lamp from the box to examine it; I have yet to fire it up.... that's next week's testing.... B)

Dammit Dale,

Why'd ya have to go and make me lust for more? :dribble:

After you're finished testing, send a few my way for more follow-up :D

I tested those lights, and several other versions of the same internal-ballast lamps.
If you are looking for serious LD-riding auxiliary lamps, then save your money.
When did you test those specific lights? I know you tested the 4" flood. Different animal. Different reflector, arc tube, and at this point, ballast.

Exactly correct. However, they make pretty good day running lights!jim
I would argue just the opposite. They don't make a great daytime running light because of the lamp life, only rated for 1000 hours. They are however, quite bright at night. The flood isn't a good option for on-road use.

I tested those lights, and several other versions of the same internal-ballast lamps.
If you are looking for serious LD-riding auxiliary lamps, then save your money.
When did you test those specific lights? I know you tested the 4" flood. Different animal. Different reflector, arc tube, and at this point, ballast.

Exactly correct. However, they make pretty good day running lights!jim
I would argue just the opposite. They don't make a great daytime running light because of the lamp life, only rated for 1000 hours. They are however, quite bright at night. The flood isn't a good option for on-road use.
So, to be clear, you like the SCMR16 better than the SC4, correct?

Which one has a life expectancy of 1000 hours?

For the type of riding we're doing the SCMR16 *spot* is a better choice. This is the lamp with the 1000 hour life.

I'm not going to say it's the brightest light on earth, but for the size it's pretty damn bright.

The SC4 has it's place, but not on our machines with it's current reflector.