Lowered Footpegs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Once in a while on longer rides I get minor leg cramps (sort of like a binding behind the knees), you know, the kind that gets you to stand up on the pegs for a bit and than your good to go for a long while again. I have always felt fine on my FJR but you are sort of locked in. I do not want cruise pegs but a friend of mine discovered after lowering his foot pegs on his vfr and now his ninja it increased his long term leg comfort. He never thought he needed it either till he rode a friends bike with lowered pegs now it is SOP for him. What is available to accomplish this on my 2013 fjr, and who has done it, and how do you like the results? 1 inch may make a difference?

"They came in today. Put them on very easy install the toughest part was taking off the old cotter pins. I wear a size 13 shoe and only had to lower the brake petal one spline from stock. As soon as i took off i knew this was the best thing I've done to the bike. So much more comfortable for me than stock. The items are excellent quality and workmanship. This should have been the first item i bought for the bike.."

https://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index...042nn2851m2ah2

James, thiat is a quote from another rider. They don't work for me because they drag in the tight corners. And you know that I'm old and slow.

Last edited by a moderator:
MCL Lowering Brackets would do the trick except for the constant dragging.

Panman might even have a set in his parts bin...they lasted one day of twisty road riding!
laugh.png

--G

I put them on my Gen1. In addition to lowering the peg, they moved my feet out far enough to bug me. Had to pigeon toe to shift and brake. I took 'em off.

James, I see you're in Snohomish. I'm just down the road in Duvall. You're welcome to try them out and see if you like them, they only take a few minutes to install.

Thanx folks, went out and eyeballed the pegs to earth distance and 1 and 1/2 inches would seem to be a real loss of clearance on the FJR. Think I will attack from a different direction, raising the seat a bit somehow, or riding with my Gel pad more often.

James,

I installed a set of MCL highway pegs several years ago and I love them. I'm 69 years old and live to ride the twisties of S E Ohio. The problem is, I have a 2 1/2 hour slab ride down(which is not bad). But after 4 or 5 hours of hard riding, the 2 1/2 hour slab ride back home is killer.

I flip them out one at a time and ride with one leg out and one on the original peg for the ride home,I feel more in control with only one leg out. I fold them in when riding tight corners and I have yet to drag them on the ground.

I don't know if this will work for you, but it works very well for me.

On mine, I replaced the long stock foot peg feelers with short bolts from the hardware store. That gave me an extra inch or so. I ride moderately aggressive at times and I've never dragged them at speed. I wear a size 14 Boot, and if I keep my toes on the pegs with my heels up, they don't drag. My boots will drag at sharp turns from a stop if I don't pull my feet back.

Thanx folks, went out and eyeballed the pegs to earth distance and 1 and 1/2 inches would seem to be a real loss of clearance on the FJR. Think I will attack from a different direction, raising the seat a bit somehow, or riding with my Gel pad more often.
I put the MCL lowering kit on 'bout 6 weeks ago, removed the "hero" blobs, and still had real bad issues w/ ground clearance. Butt, I also have Soupys Performance raising links, (And remote adjust Wilbers shock.) and have been adjusting the rear up, 'n up, 'n up, 'n up.... (Now when I put the bike on the center stand, the rear wheel isn't even off the ground!)

I've gotten to when the pegs scrape, I'm on the edge of the rear tire, (No chicken strips) so I'm purdie much be'in all I can be. Because I've raised the bike, so much, now have a higher center of gravity, so I have the seat in the lower position, and still have more leg room than stock.
thumbsup.gif
(IT's easy to raise the seat back up if'n I'm gonna be touring or riding two up.)

I'm 54, ride 1 to 2K mi. a month and these have helped a lot.

I also got the MCL fork brace while there; I'd highly recommend it.

Back in '09, when I went from a cruiser to the FJR I installed lowered pegs. Riding through the twisties in Kernville they damn near killed me... Rounding a rather tight curve, the peg caught the road, dug into the pavement and launched my bike into oncoming traffic (along with bruising my foot). Yes, I had to stop and collect myself after that... From that day forward, I realized that I just needed to get used to the FJR's sitting profile, and never looked back. I understand the leg cramps on long hauls, but after my experience with lowered pegs, I'd rather just stop and stretch my legs.

If you want to go this route, Russell can add up to 1 1/2" extra height to their seats upon request.

A quick and easy fix is to use beads on the seat which brings you up almost an inch. I bought these : beadrider.com

Airhawk air inflatable seat cushion. Add or remove air to adjust height/cushioning. Comes with straps to hold it in place but also has a non-slip backing which has worked just fine for me without the straps.

The model R has no cushioning done the middle, relieving pressure on the prostate for us "older" riders.

https://www.motorcyclecushions.net/?gclid=CJfG_8Cd9sQCFQsJaQoduVUAow