Lowering an FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who has lowered their FJR or can send me a link about the same. Are there any downsides?
McG
I lowered mine really quickly once.

Then I raised it back up with the help of some friends.

See, I had forgotten to put down the side stand.

I would have to say, all in all, it was great. It made it possible for me to comfortably reach the ground, I can't flat foot on both sides, but I can flat foot on one side no problem, ...
You know, I've never heard of a bike that can't be flat footed on at least one side. :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I lowered mine and 1" in the back and a 1/2" in the front and I did have shorten my kick stand. I ride pretty hard and haven't any real problems after making the suspension adjustments. I'm thinking about bring the back up a half inch to match the front. Without lowering it the bike is just to tall for me. I work in a machine shop with a water-jet so play with the length of the dog bones is pretty easy. I cut a few sets for people on this forum. More to raise than lower.

I just lowered mine today. Does anyone know if the kickstand on the FJR interchanges with another Yamaha? The sell short kickstands for pretty much all of the sport bikes ( I have on on my Hayabusa). If say an R1 or R6 kickstand was able to bolt to the FJR and work the switch then a adjustable kickstand for the same bike could be installed on the FJR with minimal modding.

Instead of replacing it, why not just grind down the "stop" so it folds forward a bit more and effectively shortens the stand? Some folks like to do that even without thge lowering links so it's not like you'd be ruining your sidestand...

Instead of replacing it, why not just grind down the "stop" so it folds forward a bit more and effectively shortens the stand? Some folks like to do that even without thge lowering links so it's not like you'd be ruining your sidestand...

I am sure that is what I will end up doing. An adjustable kickstand is usually pretty cheap ($120 or so). If I could find one I would do it just so I could get the lean the way I want it.