Lowering links and ride height adjusters......

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous Dave

The older I get, the faster I was...
Reaction score
This may prove to be a dumb question (glad it's not Friday!), but I'll ask it anyway. My Penske shock raised the rear of the bike quite a bit over the stocker, even with the ride height adjustment all the way down. Enough so that it's a bit cumbersome for my 31" inseam to back the bike out of a parking spot. I've put up with it for quite awhile now, so it's not a huuuge issue, but if I could resolve it cheaply.......

Anyway, I found some cheap steel lowering links for a 1st gen at an appropriate price, but they claim to lower the bike 1.25", which is probably way more than I need. But as I said, my Penske is adjusted all the way down, and if I remember right, there's an inch of adjutment to it. So my question is (from a geometry standpoint), is there anything wrong with using these links to drop it a bunch, then using the shock adjuster to bring it back up as much as I comfortably can?

Yes, I realize I can buy links with less drop...for 3 - 4 times the price. Yes I realize that lowering compromises ground clearance, but I didn't buy the FJR to drag pegs...I have other bikes for that. I bought the FJR to have fun while hauling lots of "stuff". :) My concern here is that the lowering links will change the leverage ratio at the rear enough to screw with my spring rating. If it just means resetting preload and fiddling the damping adjusters to suit, I'm ok with that. If I'm truly asking for trouble with this idea, maybe I'll just shave a little seat foam instead.

Informed answers please...I can speculate on my own. B)