Lowering the handlebars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casanewt

Reaction score
So, in searching, I haven't been able to find much on people putting different bars on the FJR to lower the riding position. Plenty of you raising it higher, but I want to lower it. I did find someone selling clip-ons in the classifieds that look like exactly what I want. Any input? I probably haven't searched here exactly right to find the info.

Found more info:
Lower bars
newt,

based on evilhenchman's reply in the attached thread (for gen I), i'm betting a 6-pack of newcastle that jon cain can make us some gen II clip on bar thingies. back in april or so he mentioned that he was looking for a donor fjr to start doing some mod projects, but my acquisition was still a secret, so all i said to him was i knew someone that likely would be interested in a month or so (after the fj rally). of course, now i can't get him to reply. he's heading over to the isle of man any time now, so i guess he's allowed to be distracted. but anyway, he should be making us up some cool bits for the fjr once i can get it over to him and he can look it over. he recently acquired a cnc machine and is looking forward to making parts for fj's and presumably fjr's. if he can slice, dice, add, and modify an st1300 to this,

https://photos1.blogger.com/photoInclude/he.../1024/04411.jpg

he can get us some lower handlebars... ( :

Last edited by a moderator:
newt,
based on evilhenchman's reply in the attached thread (for gen I), i'm betting a 6-pack of newcastle that jon cain can make us some gen II clip on bar thingies. back in april or so he mentioned that he was looking for a donor fjr to start doing some mod projects, but my acquisition was still a secret, so all i said to him was i knew someone that likely would be interested in a month or so (after the fj rally). of course, now i can't get him to reply. he's heading over to the isle of man any time now, so i guess he's allowed to be distracted. but anyway, he should be making us up some cool bits for the fjr once i can get it over to him and he can look it over. he recently acquired a cnc machine and is looking forward to making parts for fj's and presumably fjr's. if he can slice, dice, add, and modify an st1300 to this,

https://photos1.blogger.com/photoInclude/he.../1024/04411.jpg

he can get us some lower handlebars... ( :
Deano, just an FYI, but mine's a Gen I (2005). I'm sure Jon could hook us up, but if this other guy is already making them & he's here in Cincy I'm definitely going to scope them out ASAP. I'll report back here as soon as I make contact, meanwhile, have you tried to tweak the settings on the stock suspension yet??

-G

Deano, just an FYI, but mine's a Gen I (2005). I'm sure Jon could hook us up, but if this other guy is already making them & he's here in Cincy I'm definitely going to scope them out ASAP. I'll report back here as soon as I make contact, meanwhile, have you tried to tweak the settings on the stock suspension yet??
-G
ah, yes, i forgot about yours being gen I. those a/m clip ons do look sweet. at the spring fj rally jeff hoffman (not sure if he was there when you attended) adjusted my suspension for me. he used to work at traxxion and is pretty good on that stuff. i have no idea what the settings are, he "test rode" my fjr, came back, and told me what to do adjust and how much. odd, he came back from the test ride, and it's the only time so far i've heard my radiator fan(s?) on. ( :

ah, yes, i forgot about yours being gen I. those a/m clip ons do look sweet. at the spring fj rally jeff hoffman (not sure if he was there when you attended) adjusted my suspension for me. he used to work at traxxion and is pretty good on that stuff. i have no idea what the settings are, he "test rode" my fjr, came back, and told me what to do adjust and how much. odd, he came back from the test ride, and it's the only time so far i've heard my radiator fan(s?) on. ( :
Deano,

Got in touch with Ramblin Man. I am going to set up a time to check out his bike with the clip-ons installed. Would you like to tag along? If they are trying to develope a version for Gen II, you could be their guinea pig????

Deano,

Got in touch with Ramblin Man. I am going to set up a time to check out his bike with the clip-ons installed. Would you like to tag along? If they are trying to develope a version for Gen II, you could be their guinea pig????
hey sure. tho i spoke with hippie cain, and he's all for taking my bike in and doing some mods to it. but he's leaving for isle of man race and won't be back for a couple weeks. when were you planning on going?

I installed the clip-ons I bought from Ramblin Man last night & took the FJR out for a 10 minute ride to check them out. I've got to say that they have made a huge improvement. I will need more seat time to get them adjusted perfectly to me, but I immediately felt much more connected to the bike with lower & more forward bars. Worth every penny to upgrade IMHO & the clip-ons are very well made.

I installed the clip-ons I bought from Ramblin Man last night & took the FJR out for a 10 minute ride to check them out. I've got to say that they have made a huge improvement. I will need more seat time to get them adjusted perfectly to me, but I immediately felt much more connected to the bike with lower & more forward bars. Worth every penny to upgrade IMHO & the clip-ons are very well made.
More miles & more smiles. The stock bars felt like ape-hangers to me. These clip-ons have completely transformed my 2005. Now I am connected to the bike the way I need to be. Lower, more forward & wider. Absolutely awesome.

More miles & more smiles. The stock bars felt like ape-hangers to me. These clip-ons have completely transformed my 2005. Now I am connected to the bike the way I need to be. Lower, more forward & wider. Absolutely awesome.
stop it, greg, you're killin' me. i just put just under 400 miles on the bike today going up to northern indiana and back. still waiting on a couple people who have the potential to use my bike as prototype for the gen II bar mods. waiting, waiting, waiting...

waiting, waiting, waiting...
As am I -- for somebody with more brains, more tools, and more free time than me, to make just the right set of bars for the GenII. Anyone?
either ramblinman's brother is going to contact me, or i have a buddy, jon cain, that does motorcycle modification with a cnc. he said he's interested in doing up pieces for an fjr, wanted to use my bike as the guinea pig.

i haven't picked it up yet, but in this month's motorcyclist magazine, page 22, he and a highly modded st13 (i think? st11?) are featured, if you want to see the work he can do.

i guess both of the dudes are pretty busy. tic toc tic toc....................................