Lowrance GPS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qmotion

Reaction score
I had a Garmin 610 on my 2005 FJR. When the bike was totaled I decided to go with a 2820 for the bluetooth and XM-radio controller features. Now I'm actually considering getting the Zumo 550 which has better harness intergration to the J&M CB-2003-DU which I'll be using as controller for audio and radar detector.

A friend of a friend of mine has a Lowrance GPS that the swears by. I do like the MP3, FM modulation and hard drive storage that they have. If only they had bluetooth and XM-radio.

Still seems nice enough and resonably priced that others might want to consider them.

https://www.lowrance.com/Products/Automotive/default.asp

Which Lowrance model? Some have hard drives and hard drives are 'no no'. The 500c is no longer, replaced by the 600 (which has a hard drive) as does the 350c.

I like my 276c and I have a separate Mp3 player (Ipod Nano) with a remote control - that way I only have one MP3 player to keep updated. Others might prefer the 378, which has a full load of streets and lakes as well as the option for detailed weather and XM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an iWay 500 (I think) for the car. It was big and heavy but otherwise it was a nice unit. I sold it when I bought the Lexus with built in GPS.

I had an iWay 500 (I think) for the car. It was big and heavy but otherwise it was a nice unit. I sold it when I bought the Lexus with built in GPS.

I had the iWay500c in my truck a few years ago and used it traveling from Alabama to California and back during a 10 week work assignment. It was very nice but it is a heavy unit. I used it for about 6 months and it performed very well the whole time. Since then I'm using a Garmin C340 and I like it pretty darn well also. I just got my hands on my Zumo 550 and just from messing with it I feel it will be better on a motorcycle based on size and ease of use. I plan on using it in the truck also. ;) After the Zumo I won't go back to the Lowrance.

I was told from a guy who does installs that the hard drive definately isn't a good idea on a motorcycle. Lowrance is the way to go if you were installing on a boat. Oh well, it was just a thought.

I also have a i-Way 500 for my car(s); very nice unit. As far as boats go, I believe all of the Lowrances' are waterproof so that's a plus. For your Feejer, you'll probably want to look elsewhere.

I use a Lowrance iFINDER Expedition C. It works great for me. It uses a SD card and I am able to load roads for half of the US on the chip (512 MB). The screen is a bit small so I use a ram ball mount with a 6 inch extension which places it in my field of view right below the tach. The unit has the mapping features that I wanted and the capability of using it while hiking or fishing also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used an Iway. It works pretty good but right side handlebar vibes when going over 70 MPH disturb it's hard drive.

Probably a good idea to get something smaller ....Iway heavy. It does play mp3s so if you get it best to put it on the left side handlebar (I think has less vibes ) or get ram ball on stem .

I have a IWay 500c which I had before my FJR '06 came in.

I have mounted it on a SportBikeCam Mount on the gas tank. I have had ZERO problems with vibration and find it real easy to work (left to right side buttons cross, even). It mounts in my line of sight right below the stock gauges.

I have had to send it back to the factory because the touch stopped working, but they sent me another unit.

The Lowrance being a marine unit is watersealed and was great when I rode 4 hours across NC through the tail end of Tropical Storm Barry this year.

I would upgrade to 600C if were to get another - it switches from Street to Marine & losing 5GB of music storage is not a big deal.