Lucky catch- snapped penske 8983 rear shock

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe that the Penske shock is different than the Wilbers in that the hole on the right side is larger in diameter than the right side (just like it is on the stock shock) so the Penske Shock does use the OE bolt. At least, as far as I can remember, it did for mine.
For gen II Penske shocks, they use the stock bolt with the shoulder on it.

I don't think is is possible to put the STOCK bolt in wrong and get the nut started. I could be wrong.

Gen 1 looks just like that and you can't thread the nut if you put it in wrong. Thanks Mr Auburn!

Is this the lube you use? Looks like it would work on the axle around the wheel bearings too.

I believe that the Penske shock is different than the Wilbers in that the hole on the right side is larger in diameter than the right side (just like it is on the stock shock) so the Penske Shock does use the OE bolt. At least, as far as I can remember, it did for mine.
For gen II Penske shocks, they use the stock bolt with the shoulder on it.

I don't think is is possible to put the STOCK bolt in wrong and get the nut started. I could be wrong.

Gen 1 looks just like that and you can't thread the nut if you put it in wrong. Thanks Mr Auburn!

Is this the lube you use? Looks like it would work on the axle around the wheel bearings too.
It might be. Here is where I get it at McMaster-Carr on line. Part number 10625K11 for $16.71 for a 1 lb container. https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/118/2166/=kwm2ey NOTE: the name has changed to Dow Corning but the part number and specs are the same as the Jet lube I use.

Here is a picture of the label of mine (I repackaged into an old silkolene container)

Moly_zps49eed530.jpg

Moly-back_zps6048977e.jpg