Mag Knight Tank Bra

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had mine on for three years already. Still looks and works perfect.

Much better value and performance than that "clear" junk.

Did you order Blue or Black? Let us know how it looks and works. GREAT FIND!

ordered the blue one to match the color of the paint. I'll try and take pictures as soon as it arrives so people can see what it looks like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a blue one on the 06. the color match is decent and the fit is pretty good. I still haven't been able to get the pieces to lay perfectly flat around the curves at the back sides of the tank, but am still happy with the results.

My mesh riding gear has already scratched the back end of the tank bra - so it's probably paid for itself already.

I have a blue one on the 06. the color match is decent and the fit is pretty good. I still haven't been able to get the pieces to lay perfectly flat around the curves at the back sides of the tank, but am still happy with the results.

My mesh riding gear has already scratched the back end of the tank bra - so it's probably paid for itself already.
A tip on application, use a hair dryer to heat that thing up, so it will conform to the shape of the tank. You may have to readjust the side pieces that go forward to get the rear part to fit smoothly. It takes a little feckin around but its worth it to have the tight fit. Mine has been on since Sept '03 and it still looks and works well.

Well, I've got a MagKnight cover, with the carbon-fiber look. After riding with it for about a month, the pattern started to wear off near where my knees gripped the tank <_< . I also had similar problems gettin the transition between the front and sides to completely lay flat (yes, I know all about the heat gun/laying in the sun/hairdryer/warm it up/stretch it out routine). Worst of all, is now the base near the seat apparently is in contact with the leather at the front of the seat, and over time, it has actually seperated the top layer (giving it the carbon fiber look) from the magnetic portion... making it severely wrinkled. :huh:

I've got a couple ideas for trying to fix the issues, but I may try some of the Gripster pads and the previous type "spider" tank protector instead.

I have one on my '06 as well. The color match looks good most of the time but at certain angles or certain lights the bra looks very purple against the paint. I gave up on trying to get it to fit right, so I cut mine into 3 pieces and trimmed it until it layed down flat. Works good now.

I gave up on trying to get it to fit right, so I cut mine into 3 pieces and trimmed it until it layed down flat.
+1

That's basically what I planned to do, along with cutting the portion off that's rubbing against the front of my leather seat.

I've been looking hard at this system, and appreciate the feedback. I saw an '05 with a MagKNight on (blue) and the color match was pretty good and the bra seemed to fit perfectly as I walked around it. Unfortunately I didn't see the rider to ask questions. I'd like to hear what anybody has to say about black on the blue '06 if they've seen it. Sounds like the '06 color match may be a bit off. I definitely won't get carbon look -- thanks for the heads up. And can somebody say more about alternative systems pro's and con's like the Gripster and Spider, etc? Thanks.

I've got the carbon fiber on the 05 blue, and it looks (IMO) very good.

I had no real problems getting it on, took it slow, did the sunshine & hair dryer bit, used two people one with gloves doing the smoothing (so hands didn't get too hot).