Magellan Frustration

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRMaineiac

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I have been pretty fond of my Magellan Meridian Gold GPS for the past few years, but....

I just decided to purchase the latest mapping software for it - the version I have (1.0) is a few years out of date now. I bought the new software online (eBay) and installed it per the instructions. The instructions include a "coupon code" which you need to use when you register it online to get your "unlock code". Until then, it is useless.

When the installation software went to the Magellan website there was the following note:

--------

We're Sorry

To provide you with better options and service in the future, we are making upgrades to our ecommerce infrastructure and cannot process purchases at this time. Please use our dealer locator to find Magellan products at a store near you, or we will be happy to process your purchase request on August 15th, when our upgrades are complete.

--------

:blink:

Imagine my frustration (or anyone who tries to install new products for the next couple of weeks) upon reading this. Can anyone explain to me what company takes their e-commerce site down for 2 weeks while they make upgrades with no other means to serve their clients? I mean, I know its a French company, and many European companies take the month of August off, but you would think that even they would have *some* business sense. I tried calling the help line - got transferred to India, and they explained that the 'website is down so that we can make improvements to serve you better'. How about finding a way to SERVE ME NOW!?. They have NO method of giving customers unlock codes until this update is done on August 15th.

Needless to say, I am going to think long and hard about buying another Magellan product in the future (although I am not naive - every company has its issues and peculiarities). In the meantime, does anyone have an unlock code they can share :ph34r:

(Frustrated) Bob in Maine :angry2:

I have been pretty fond of my Magellan Meridian Gold GPS for the past few years, but....
I just decided to purchase the latest mapping software for it - the version I have (1.0) is a few years out of date now. I bought the new software online (eBay) and installed it per the instructions. The instructions include a "coupon code" which you need to use when you register it online to get your "unlock code". Until then, it is useless.

When the installation software went to the Magellan website there was the following note:

--------

We're Sorry

To provide you with better options and service in the future, we are making upgrades to our ecommerce infrastructure and cannot process purchases at this time. Please use our dealer locator to find Magellan products at a store near you, or we will be happy to process your purchase request on August 15th, when our upgrades are complete.

--------

:blink:

Imagine my frustration (or anyone who tries to install new products for the next couple of weeks) upon reading this. Can anyone explain to me what company takes their e-commerce site down for 2 weeks while they make upgrades with no other means to serve their clients? I mean, I know its a French company, and many European companies take the month of August off, but you would think that even they would have *some* business sense. I tried calling the help line - got transferred to India, and they explained that the 'website is down so that we can make improvements to serve you better'. How about finding a way to SERVE ME NOW!?. They have NO method of giving customers unlock codes until this update is done on August 15th.

Needless to say, I am going to think long and hard about buying another Magellan product in the future (although I am not naive - every company has its issues and peculiarities). In the meantime, does anyone have an unlock code they can share :ph34r:

(Frustrated) Bob in Maine :angry2:

Thales no longer owns Magellan GPS, Shah Capital purhcased Magellan from Thales for $170M.

Magellan have done well this quarter passing up TomTom sales and they are upgrading their SAP software to make the process faster, so give these guys a chance to get better.

It's just part of the growing pain Magellan is going through, they will get better under the charge of the NEW CEO Nelson Chan.

Lots of fun stuff to be introduce this second half of the year, handheld systems is going to be so different and so much better. Can't wait...

Magellan have done well this quarter passing up TomTom sales and they are upgrading their SAP software to make the process faster, so give these guys a chance to get better.
It's just part of the growing pain Magellan is going through, they will get better under the charge of the NEW CEO Nelson Chan.

Lots of fun stuff to be introduce this second half of the year, handheld systems is going to be so different and so much better. Can't wait...
That's still no excuse for leaving your paying customers totally out in the cold like this. I'm in the computer industry and I wouldn't even think of taking production down w/o some alternative. That's just basic business sense. That's no different than your power company saying "I'm sorry, we're switching from coal-fired to oil-fired, so you'll be without power for the next six weeks." :angry2:

I'm in the market for a GPS and I'll definitely be thinking "not Garmin, and not Magellan either" - which sucks because I was seriously considering them.

I am glad to hear that Magellan is "maturing" as a company, but Crash is right - it shouldn't be done at the expense of customers who just dropped some coin on their product. As someone who owns his own business, I wouldn't dream of treating my clients that way. I would expect that they would go away, and I couldn't blame them.

The sad thing is, I *really* like the Meridian Gold. Its not the latest, greatest, sexy, color, MP3 playing, XM radio receiving, whiz bang GPS, but it meets my needs quite well. By buying the upgraded map software, I was basically committing to use it for at least the next few years (unless it decides to quit on me). In my frustration, I have started looking around. The Garmin Zumo seems like a good rig, but overly laden with a bunch of features I don't want or need to inflate the price. Of course, I have also seen some negative press about Garmin similar to Magellan. Maybe a dark horse will appear and win my business when I am back in the market.

In the meantime, I'll wait (im)patiently to unlock and use my new software.