New Software & Group Builder Hello!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Angie
I am not receiving all email notifications for ‘watched’ threads.
One day I will receive one notification (even if more than one post on that thread that day) and the next day I get nothing, even when there is activity.
Can you outline the process so I can see if I have everything set up correctly?
Thx
-Steve

Have you checked your spam mail file? Since we send a lot of emails due to alerts, etc, the emails occasionally end up going to the junk/spam folders.

Check the settings in your profile. Email delivery is an unverified delivery process. You can send it and it might not get there. It's in the DNA from it's first designs (no ACKs or NAKs). Then there is the overhead involved in creating and sending it (which might not get through anyway).

Set local notifications on as belt-and-suspenders. You'll get notifications when logged in for any thread you follow.
“Check settings in your Profile”
You mean Preferences, under My Profile?

All the Content Options and Email Options are ticked. All the ‘Receive Notification when someone ..’ have the Alert box only ticked.
Anything else?

”Set local notifications on. . . “
I am not sure I know what this is, do you mean the notifications that appear in a list when you tap/click the bell (near to my username) in the top level tool bar? (When new notifications, there is a red dot on the bell)

Perhaps I should also point out that this function worked perfectly before the change of Forum s’ware. That makes me think its not an email issue, nor my email client at fault. I am hopeful its just a setting I have overlooked.
thx
-Steve

I agree that it's not on your end. I am pointing out that email noticiations are problematic even when working right on the server side. These threads are all specifically about the software change and issues to correct. I'm also NOT saying that the developers (new owners) shouldn't look into it.

What I am suggesting are work-around in the mean time.

Long ago (before moderator duties) I disabled all that (unreliability) and went with notifications while logged in. I then click on "mark all read" before leaving. When I come back, Show New works as does (local) notifications.

Have you checked your spam mail file? Since we send a lot of emails due to alerts, etc, the emails occasionally end up going to the junk/spam folders.
I think I have found the reason for the Notification behaviour I am reporting.
In the 'fine print' of the Notification email, I see this -"You will not receive any further emails about this thread until you have read the new messages."
I presume this statement means that until I log into the Forum, go to the Thread in question and view the Post that I am being notified about, I will not see any more Notifications relating to that Thread.
While not ideal for me, at least this explains what going on.
Thx
-Steve

Yes. Exactly. It's a way to reduce overhead by not sending additional notifications to a member who may no longer be active.

Systems like this are all about "overhead" the more bandwidth used, the more it costs, so the developers of server software often look for ways to reduce it.

Hello Old Friends,
I just started receiving this forums notifications once again after years of nothing. I'm not complaining, as most of my seat time is just spent reading about others adventures these days. I had to sell all but one of my Yamahas. I'm down to my old 78 XS650, and it hasn't run since 1997. Ironically, although I've talked to several FJR owners over the years about buying their bikes, I've yet to even get a test ride on one. Yep, I only had my 06 FZ1 to ride and enjoy all these years up to selling it in 2017.

For a short spell, I was employed at an Indian Motorcycle Dealership to help with customer demo rides, marketing photography, sales and conduct special promotion events, so I enjoyed a lot of runs on their line of new machines. I was having a blast doing that, but failed to take the job seriously, I guess. I forgot to actually sell any bikes during my stint there. lol

Anyway, I still wonder how my life would have been had I actually owned the FJR of my dreams. Now, retired, I just don't know if it could ever happen for me. I'm taking one day at a time, but still enjoy dropping in here to follow along with the FJR family here.
Thanks for having me!
-Roger

Latest posts