Magellan ToughCase

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing the iPhone as GPS on the bike, but I'm not using the Magellan case. With the new Garmin app, I decided to just use it for driving directions in town (where I gave cell coverage). Once the new bike arrives, I plan on doing something like the Delorme PN60/Spot combo.

Very Nice! :) Albeit a bit spendy. :(

Unclear if it can be powered externally. It could be but the USB connector is likely under a cover like my waterproof camera.

Also unclear how it gets mounted. Did you get a look at that SM?

I'm surprised that they don't appear to have mic capability on the stereo jack.

My concept for such a case would not have the additional battery and would have external connectors for power, stereo audio with mic input and iPod controller as well as a good mounting system.

Oh, oh, oh... If they did this for my iPad, I'd be in for sure! :D

Pretty cool that the case has integrated battery and GPS.

If you can find a cheap iPod Touch, that would get you:

GPS

Music

WiFi device.

Still spendy though!

Very Nice! :) Albeit a bit spendy. :(

Unclear if it can be powered externally. It could be but the USB connector is likely under a cover like my waterproof camera.

Also unclear how it gets mounted. Did you get a look at that SM?

I'm surprised that they don't appear to have mic capability on the stereo jack.

My concept for such a case would not have the additional battery and would have external connectors for power, stereo audio with mic input and iPod controller as well as a good mounting system.

Oh, oh, oh... If they did this for my iPad, I'd be in for sure! :D
It was mounted in landscape orientation, and I did see a cable coming out of the bottom of the unit.(On the ToughCase website - "Specifications" tab, it does say "USB Port - Power Only", so I'm assuming that that was how the unit was being powered.) It has a headphone jack, but I'd think Bluetooth would be a better solution(..?).

Here's a video review of the unit from geek.com:

Also, I saw a Ram mount arm extending below the unit, but I didn't pay attention to how it was attached to the back.