MagKnight Color Match Tank Protector for 2007

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HaulinAshe

Reaction score
MagKnight does give a return guarantee for 15% restocking fee, no matter what. Well, losing 15% of $100 is better than losing $100. So it arrived today and is going back tomorrow. No need to even pull a piece completely out of the package. It's that far off.

In fact, the color is so far off that even my partially colorblind old fart vision can see the difference immediately in low light. "A shade or two light" my ass! It's Candy Apple Red, not Black Cherry.

Do not buy this product and think that it is even close to the same color as a 2007.

Jeff Ashe

Editing to post MagKnight's response. They sent a very encouraging and fair response. I plan to send them pictures.

Jeff, If you would like to trade you kit for a matte black, we can do so without

at 15% restocking fee.

Just ship it back to us and we will trade it in for a matte black.

Pictures of the cherry red would help us greatly if you can get a few before

sending it back. We match our tank bra colors to the show bike sent around

the country during the winter. Yamaha has been known to change it a shade

or two on the production bikes.

Thanks for your understanding...

Daniel B. Wolanski

President / Mag-Knight Inc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am sorry to hear that Jeff. Personally I do not think you should have to pay for the 15% restocking fee if the color is off by that much. I would take photo's with it on the bike and share them with your credit card company when you issue the charge back for the $15 restocking fee. I just ordered the Silver one and got it this week. It matched perfectly so I am keeping it.

blue is also not a perfect match for the 06 either, but it is a great product to protect the tank from scratches.

they offer black too.

I got the matte black on my 07 Black Cherry and it blends well with the seat and black panels. Lays down perfectly. Had one on my 05 also. Great product!

I have mixed emotions about my MagKnight 2006. The color was close enough, but the color 'film' on the edges has rubbed away from the TourMaster magnetic tank bag. It now looks like crap (the magknight) but then again the paint underneath is still good.. so from a consumable perspective, the MagKnight is working.. Notice also that the MagKnigt doesn't cover the entire tank top. My dirt from the road gets underneath the tank bag resulting in scratches. So blue painters tape it is. Ugly, but it sure does work good. :rolleyes:

Cap.jpg

I have mixed emotions about my MagKnight 2006. The color was close enough, but the color 'film' on the edges has rubbed away from the TourMaster magnetic tank bag. It now looks like crap (the magknight) but then again the paint underneath is still good.. so from a consumable perspective, the MagKnight is working.. Notice also that the MagKnigt doesn't cover the entire tank top. My dirt from the road gets underneath the tank bag resulting in scratches. So blue painters tape it is. Ugly, but it sure does work good. :rolleyes:
I ordered the carbon fiber look because they said they didn't have a good color match yet (and apparently still don't), but I've got some mixed emotions too. The mag knight is cut to fit perfectly, but doesn't quite. It just barely sticks above the break in the tank, and I find dust and dirt forming there, and I think I'm gonna need some polishing compound there before too long. Is there a difference between a GEN I tanks and a GEN II? Maybe I'll try some delicate trimming on it, or maybe I'll just see if it's not too late for me to get a 15% restocking fee and I'll get me some snake skin

62-0047-SS_big.jpg

Funny, I never had a problem with the one on my'03. Color matches very nice, and not too much crud underneath. Read the instructions....they DO tell you to take it off and clean it periodically.

Hey, it's STILL better than that garbage being panned off from Tankslapper. I would've gladly accepted a restocking fee on that junk. Unfortunately, most of it blew off before I could return it. They should be embarrassed to sell such crap.

Funny, I never had a problem with the one on my'03. Color matches very nice, and not too much crud underneath. Read the instructions....they DO tell you to take it off and clean it periodically.
Hey, it's STILL better than that garbage being panned off from Tankslapper. I would've gladly accepted a restocking fee on that junk. Unfortunately, most of it blew off before I could return it. They should be embarrassed to sell such crap.
+1 !! The tankslapper ranks right up there with my worst purchases ever. On the other hand, my Magnight (carbon fiber) has served me well thru two FJR's.

I have a "carbon fiber" that has peeled. I still use the black "under color" after pulling the decal off. Even that is beginning to separate from the Yamaha touring tankbag rubbing on it. I am looking at options and after seeing Kaitsdad's set-up I'm sure I'll spend the money for the real stuff.

lookie here

Mike,

Great suggestion and link. Dad had the stuff, but did you see the price? $130 plus $176 (2x$88) to do the tank. Could almost get a used tank for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my position/response to MagKnight. Now we'll see.

I received the tank protector kit for my 2007 Yamaha FJR yesterday. It only required sliding it out of the box to see that the color match is WAY too far off. The vinyl is a Candy Apple Red color and in no way matches the Black Cherry color of the bike.
I heard today that some have used a Matte Black color from you on the same bike and liked it. I would consider paying shipping for another kit in the Matte Black color if you would waive the 15% restocking fee.

But if you insist on the 15% restocking fee than please consider this my request to return the kit for credit.

Someone also suggested that I take pictures of the product and send them to you. I am willing to do so if it will benefit your future production in some way.

Please advise how I need to handle the return.

Jeff Ashe

jeff, let me know what the response is. i just installed my red mag-knight bra on my red 07. i don't like the color mismatching, and i don't like the wrinkles, buckles and other non-conforming edges. this was despite my putting the wrap above our heating vent to keep it soft, and despite my wheeling the fjr out into the sun to warm the tank.

and thumbs down to myself, i thought i was getting a tank protector for the tank, where the tank bag sits. shame on me for not checking, this is only the wrap around where the knees go, although it offers a little protetion from where the straps come up from under the seat.

and thumbs down to myself, i thought i was getting a tank protector for the tank, where the tank bag sits. shame on me for not checking, this is only the wrap around where the knees go, although it offers a little protetion from where the straps come up from under the seat.
Yep, Dean, me too. That's why I now have blue painters tape on the top side. I am so far past what it looks like.. Funcionality #1, looks #2....

Wow. It sounds like the Mag-Knight experiences are quite varied.

I've had the color matched Mag-Knight tank protector (just the one-piece unit that covers the tank sides and back) for almost 2 years now. The color match with the '05 was pretty good, but over time it's become slightly more purple. It still looks great, but it probably doesn't see near the wear as their tank top protector some of you have. It they didn't have the color match, I'd just go with black or carbon and use that.

Installation took a bit of doing to get it to conform to the tank correctly - repositioning it a few times - using a hair dryer to get rid of those last gaps, etc. But I'm very pleased with how it turned out and how it's held up. And the best feature of all, is that it stays put until you want to remove it. And then there's no adhesive residue to deal with.

YMMV...

i've decided to go ahead and send mag-knight an email with my intention to return it. for something that costs this much, for how little i get (i mean literally how small the covering is), and the color mismatch and buckling around the curves, i just can't justify it. i think the final straw was when i saw the bagster tank cover, and i'll wait and hope that they make one for the '07, otherwise i'll opt for the black.

i know people on the list have been really happy with the mag-knight, and i understand it's just different opinions, in fact i used those positive reviews to help me decide to order it, but it's just not for me.

contacted dude at magknight and advised, he said to go ahead and send it back. i mentioned my not caring for the color mismatch or the wrinkles/puckers. he didn't offer up any solutions (i did mention doing everything as instructed), nor offer up to exchange for a better-matched color one if developed. oh well, lesson learned. i'm out, what, about $35, but i can deal with it.