Magnetic Drain Plug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patriot

Isabella is Lazarus
Reaction score
anybody know for sure if this Goldwing magnetic crankcase oil drain plug is compatible to our FJR's ???

it's description is: You are purchasing one (1) 14mm magnetic drain plug with washer that replaces both the oil drain plug and the final drive drain plug for all Goldwings 76-10.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnetic-Drain-Plug-Goldwing-76-12-GL1800-Gold-Wing-/110761952186?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D110760261662%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3634393084877774520

it seem to me a reasonable assumption and somebody might be interested in these

I had checked purchasing a new Yamaha final drive drain plug which is magnetic unlike the stock crankcase oil plug, but is an exact replacement

the final drive magnetic plug new is $24 plus shipping

btw, if anyone needs a new stock (non magnetic) crankcase oil drain plug (was under $5), I have one and you are welcome to it

I somehow purchased two over the years and carry one on the bike as a backup for me or a follow rider

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be comfortable with one of those super strong magnets on exterior of the Yamaha drain plugs after tigening? Maybe another on the oil filter???

I know we aren't talking about spending a whole lot of moolah on any of these things, but the obvious (and cynical) question is: Why bother? :unsure:

The reason that we use magnetic drain plugs in the final drive (or in many automotive transmissions) is that we have some wearing steel parts (gears) that will shed ferrous particles, and there is no means available to filter the gear oil between changes. In your engine, most of the metallic particles will be from the softer alloys (non-ferrous) parts, but even the ones that are ferrous will be readily filtered out by the oil filter.

I've never heard of an FJR that had an engine seizure issue attributable to oil contamination by ferrous particles. ;)

OTOH, for a double-sawbuck, knock yourself out!! ;)

A double sawbuck, Whoa!

BTW the one on the FJRs final drive also fits the oil pan, thats what I use.

I know we aren't talking about spending a whole lot of moolah on any of these things, but the obvious (and cynical) question is: Why bother? :unsure:

The reason that we use magnetic drain plugs in the final drive (or in many automotive transmissions) is that we have some wearing steel parts (gears) that will shed ferrous particles, and there is no means available to filter the gear oil between changes. In your engine, most of the metallic particles will be from the softer alloys (non-ferrous) parts, but even the ones that are ferrous will be readily filtered out by the oil filter.

I've never heard of an FJR that had an engine seizure issue attributable to oil contamination by ferrous particles. ;)

OTOH, for a double-sawbuck, knock yourself out!! ;)
+1