Magnetic tank bag harmful to paint?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xc1974

Reaction score
Looking for a new tank bag and i'm very picky about my paint. It drives me crazy listening to people slap magnets in their tanks. Just wondering if anyone has had any bag experience or damage from a magnetic bag.

Yep, once upon a time I set the dm thing on the floor and it picked up a screw unbeknownst to me.

Guaranteed eventually any bag will scratch any surface. I check my magnets each time but I do have tiny scratches where the magnets touch, after 3 years and many miles. I pick up little pieces of stuff on the road, works its way under the magnets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guaranteed eventually any bag will scratch any surface. I check my magnets each time but I do have tiny scratches where the magnets touch, after 3 years and many miles. I pick up little pieces of stuff on the road, works its way under the magnets.

I was looking at rapid transits web site and they say could be harmful to metallic paint and not to use when it's really hot out...

gunny

+1

I don't wash Izabella and scratch it up at every opportunity :rolleyes:

bought it to ride, not show off :yahoo:

I went to the local fabric store and picked up a piece of material of similar color to the tank along with some magnetic material like you find on refridgerator magnets. Cut the magnets into strips, sew into the edges of the material which I had cut to be just slightly larger than the bottom of the bag and you will have a thin shield that has no impact on the ability of the bag to stick to the tank. I've used my Yamaha tank bag on 4 FJRs this way and not a scratch to be had so far.

If you are that concerned about paint damage, may I suggest the tank bag that clips to a ring mounted to your gas filler cap.

Not sure of the brand but it seems to work well by keeping the bag elevated about a 1/4" off the tank.

Someone here will know the brand.

Mark

If you are that concerned about paint damage, may I suggest the tank bag that clips to a ring mounted to your gas filler cap.
Not sure of the brand but it seems to work well by keeping the bag elevated about a 1/4" off the tank.

Someone here will know the brand.

Mark
I was looking at them this morning..Twisted throttle

They have tank bags from Bag Connections that us the quick lock system. From what it seems the bag does not touch the tank at all. I am gonna get me one of those soon.

The one I am looking at

Be really careful.

Used to use my tankbag for work and placed it on a table.

Bugger, I didn't realise it picked up a heap of swarf, bugger.

Only use it on tours now.

I picked up some of that no slip mesh matting used to keep things in place on tables.

Works a treat but I still check the magnets each time.

I guess my experience is out of the ordinary, from the above posts, but I've used magnetic bags for years with no ill effects. Prior to putting it on each time, I run my hand over the magnets, set the center of the bag on first, then let the wings down so as not to shift the tank bag around. I use Honda Polish regularly and keep the tank fairly clean all the time. FWIW, this has worked for me on the FJR alone for 5 years with no scratches that I can see.

I gave up on the magnetic bag on my previous bike when even after being so careful, I was noticing fine scratches on my finish at every contact point. I bought a Tourmaster Cortech Mini Tankbag that utilizes a strap system and has a nice neoprene pad. Suzuki replaced my tank on a recall shortly after the change but now I use the bag on the FJR and I have been scratch-free for well over 2 years. I've noticed it's getting harder to find non-magnetic bags.

https://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Mi...g-p-143_31.html

Dcarver mentioned on another tankbag thread a great idea. Put some blue or green painters tape on then attach the bag. Or for those that don't want any tape showing keep a roll with ya and apply new tape to the magnets for each use. That's what I'm going with next time I use mine.

Looking for a new tank bag and i'm very picky about my paint. It drives me crazy listening to people slap magnets in their tanks. Just wondering if anyone has had any bag experience or damage from a magnetic bag.

Magnetic tank bags are all I've ever used, yeah they will eventually put tiny scratches on your tank if you aren't

religious about cleaning the tank and bag magnets often, yeah they will pick up ferrous materials and really scratch your

tank if you aren't careful. But they are so damn handy for around town and short trips I'd never want to strap on

a tank bag.

I can live with the tiny scratches for the convenience.

I have a Givi magentic and have used it and others for years with no significant scratches. Last few years I have been giving the tank a quick spray and wipe with a detailing spray. I keep the flaps of the tank bag closed when not on the bike. I love the convenience of the magnets and never had any problems with movement or thief.

I use a first gear silverstone and love it. I have the clear Tankslapper film on my tank so I don't worry about the sratches. but stuff happens.

These bikes are appliances - to be used for adventure and eventually discarded. Just ride the shit out of it.

go with a tank bra from bagster.. looks amazing custom made in france and then you can buy a tank bag that clips onto the bra.

the sherpa looks awesome.

gunny+1

I don't wash Izabella and scratch it up at every opportunity :rolleyes:

bought it to ride, not show off :yahoo:
Indeed! The scratches and scuffs on mine are battle scars, and the ones that the magnets caused are under the tank bag anyway.

If you are really concerned about it though (and you said you are) try a product like Snyder's Paint Guard or similar... it is a clear plastic film that protects paint from scratches and you squeegee it on without adhesive. Some folks use it on the side bags as well to prevent scuffing them with their (or more often, a pillion's) boots. If you wear cordura or other rough-surfaced gear you'll find they scuff up some of the paintwork on the side panels too... and Snyder's will help there also.

But I'm with Mike... mine is for riding, not looking at.

Griff