Mail-in custom seat experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayshaw91

Reaction score
Well, no good local saddle customizers in Michigan that I know of, so my options are a standard Corbin or do a Mayer seat with me on the bike and mail everything in.

So... who's done a mail-in seat? Anyone? How well did it work out?

And if anyone knows of a good saddlesmith within about 200 miles of Detroit, I am all ears and will make the ride!

I got my Rick Mayer seat done through the mail. Have thoroughly enjoyed it, and may have him tweak it a small bit at WFO... not sure. In any regard, he did it on schedule, and actually got it back to me faster than I imagined. I was only without a saddle for a bit over a week.

I've done mail in to Russell for my previous Concours and Rick Mayer for my current FJR. Both were no problem what-so-ever. I will say that I personally talked to both before sending the seats in so everyone knew what was expected, timeframe, etc.

Well that's three Rick Mayer votes, so I guess I know where I'm going!

Side question: What's the whole Rick/Bill Mayer thing? Anyone know the story?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think TWN got the Rocky side when he had his saddle made. Basically 2 sons, each wanting to build saddles like good old dad, both thinking they're doing it the "right" way. Family politics... :rolleyes:

I think TWN got the Rocky side when he had his saddle made. Basically 2 sons, each wanting to build saddles like good old dad, both thinking they're doing it the "right" way. Family politics... :rolleyes:
My information is only hearsay and the way I hearsayed it was: Sibling rivalry got dad pissed enough to sell the bidness to his accountant and the boys went out on their own. Rick took a detour to learn how to change bed pans, or sumpin' and now he's (I believe) a full time nurse and a part time saddle maker. Bill is a full time saddle maker and supplements his income by picking up the dropped avocados before the rats get 'em in the orchard that surrounds his home and shop.

I'm neither pro or con on either, but I have a Bill Mayer for two reasons: First, he's damn near next door to me and I was able to do a ride in; second, of all of the 'I had to return my Mayer saddle for tweaking' comments - and there have been many - only one was made in reference to Bill's saddle that I have heard of (well, I guess that technically makes me pro Rocky, doesn't it?).

To clarify, I didn't ask Bill about this, nor did he offer anything accept when asked how he came to his talent, he merely said, 'I learned most of my saddle making skills from my dad.'

I seem to remember someone mentioning a wintertime group buy on custom seats. Does anyone know if it is a Mayer or is it a Corbin, Sargeant, etc... Like JAYSHAW I would have to do a mailorder since I'm on the other side of the earth. After riding two up to Nova Scotia last week on the stock saddle I feel like I should get some kind of dumb ass award.....

I seem to remember someone mentioning a wintertime group buy on custom seats. Does anyone know if it is a Mayer or is it a Corbin, Sargeant, etc... Like JAYSHAW I would have to do a mailorder since I'm on the other side of the earth. After riding two up to Nova Scotia last week on the stock saddle I feel like I should get some kind of dumb ass award.....
None of the above. It's Russell that's had the GB in the past. Keep an eye out for Bounce to post - he's been giving the heads up in the past, IIRC.

Excellent info, TWN. I just didn't know if maybe one of them was sorta like the forgotten Mondavi kid (SNL reference for those who don't get it!).

I've previously had a Rick Mayer (ride-in appt.) and now have a Bill Mayer (ride-in appt).

Although both are fine products, I prefer the Bill Mayer, cause it happens to be a better fit for me. My Rick M. was not comfortable even after a re-do, but, different seats for different butts.

So --- +2 for Bill Mayer. Maybe Pawtracks & TurboD. will chime in?

I can't see enough about Corbin... including the fact they are darned expensive. This is my fifth Corbin and I love it.

smuggler.jpg

This time I told Corbin how I wanted the seat made and they delivered it the way I wanted. I guess I got exactly what I wanted because I was able to tell them exactly what I wanted... does that make sense?

EDIT: Oops... this picture show more of the Smuggler than the seat. I'll post a better picture of the seat tomorrow.

Mail order for any of the custom shops shouldn't be a big concern I'm sure that's how the majority of their seats are done. I did a mail in on my first Russell and it was great right out of the box. Pick the seat maker you want and mail it in.

My Russell

P1010017.jpg

I am not satisfied with my Rick Mayer seat. I did a ride-in to avoid having to re-do it. Well, I still had to send it back. It was much better the second time around, but still does not meet my expectations. It is still not a 1000 mile a day seat. Close, but not there. I am not going to fool around with it any more. I will be getting a Russel this winter. Until then, its back to using the Airhawk. a frigging $$$ whoppee cushion that works extremely well.

I know of three others on this board that are/were not happy with the Rick Mayer. Two went with the Russel and have been more satisfied, and one is currently trying to get Rick to do a 2nd re-do.

Obviously these things vary from butt to butt, but Rick Mayer does not seem to have an outstanding track record despite many satisfied customers. A question for those who are happy with their RM seat - how many miles a day do you do? I would like to know max, and typical for a long trip. Don't bother telling me about commuting and local riding. 500 miles? 800? 1000? 1500? 2400?

Helluva nice guy though, and my ride-in experience was a great one, other than the initial attempt at the seat did not work very well. And for your fyi, he is now no longer a nurse, but a full-time saddle maker.

Oh, and BTW, this forum has an excellent search function that you would be well advised to use. If you would have done so, you would have found a plethora of threads on custom saddles. Seems like just a few days ago I was posting about this.............. :glare:

I am not satisfied with my Rick Mayer seat. I did a ride-in to avoid having to re-do it. Well, I still had to send it back. It was much better the second time around, but still does not meet my expectations. It is still not a 1000 mile a day seat. Close, but not there. I am not going to fool around with it any more. I will be getting a Russel this winter. Until then, its back to using the Airhawk. a frigging $$$ whoppee cushion that works extremely well.
I know of three others on this board that are/were not happy with the Rick Mayer. Two went with the Russel and have been more satisfied, and one is currently trying to get Rick to do a 2nd re-do.

Obviously these things vary from butt to butt, but Rick Mayer does not seem to have an outstanding track record despite many satisfied customers. A question for those who are happy with their RM seat - how many miles a day do you do? I would like to know max, and typical for a long trip. Don't bother telling me about commuting and local riding. 500 miles? 800? 1000? 1500? 2400?

Helluva nice guy though, and my ride-in experience was a great one, other than the initial attempt at the seat did not work very well. And for your fyi, he is now no longer a nurse, but a full-time saddle maker.

Oh, and BTW, this forum has an excellent search function that you would be well advised to use. If you would have done so, you would have found a plethora of threads on custom saddles. Seems like just a few days ago I was posting about this.............. :glare:

Same here with the Mayer. Ride in and one adjustment a no go. Had a Corbin, again no go. Russell ride in, now there's a seat. Best seat my butt has ever sat in. WC really likes his Bill Mayer though.

did mail in on both my Russell's. each was great. the 2nd was better because i sent extra photos and spent time writing to them to describe what were the trouble areas of the OEM seat (better description than i did the first time on the other bike).

--update--

first russell - several ss1k's (documented and otherwise), at least one bbg (1611 mi/day), several undocumented BB, multiple rallies.

second russell - several undocumented ss1k's, some 24 hour rallies, the 2003 ibr.

both russells - many, many a 500+ mile day

Rick is the part-time saddleman. Rocky is the full-time saddleman. Bill was their Dad who has now passed on. Bill created the Russell design which he then sold with a non-compete and admited that his new designs couldn't do some things as well with various foams as his Russell design can.