Mail-in custom seat experience

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Scooter – Happy to elaborate. I got our Rick Mayer seats in early Dec 05 and probably have about 8k on them at this point. Lorie and I were both unhappy with the stock seat - we'd be in butt torture after about 100 miles or so on the stockers. :dribble: In fact, my ass was beginning to hurt at the end of my 43 mile commutes.

I did the standard fill out the form and send in pictures and as I recall got a “build date” around 1 – 2 months later. Did have 1 hiccup – I got an email that my seat was done and would ship shortly. Waited about a week or so and then called – was told it was done and for whatever reason didn’t ship. The deal I bought the seat under included free shipping – Rick asked if I wanted the seat overnighted; I said if included under the original deal, ok and if not, I could wait. Rick sent it overnight on him. I found Rick to be an honest, stand up guy – and that’s important to me. :clapping:

Got the seats (leather/both seats done) and put ‘em on. Good quality and well made seats. I have to admit that it took me a couple of rides to get used to the changes from the stock seat, but after 2 or 3 rides the seat felt great. I was trying to stick my butt too far back in the seat, once I let myself just hop on the bike and sit where it was comfortable I was fine.

My farthest ride so far in 1 day has been 450.1 (and I rode around the block at the end to make sure it was at least 450!) and my butt was fine. 8 of us met and rode in VA in Mar of this year and I let Heidi use my seat for about 40 miles. This was after I’d ridden about 225 miles total. Within 5 miles my butt started to hurt on her stock seat and after about 15 miles I was in friggin’ agony! The stock seat is just too soft for me. The Rick Mayer is between the stock (soft) and the Corbin (hard). I don’t have any experience on the Russell and can’t comment. I think the bottom line is that everyone has different requirements for a seat and some will love seat A and some will hate seat A. I think it’s a matter of buying a quality seat and hoping for the best. I am happy with my Rick Mayer and would buy another one if the time came.

How many miles do you ride on that seat?
I did my SS1000 back before I got my RM saddle. I did RTR in February with it though (not a big test, but 300-600 mile days, total over 2K in 5 days). Rode to T-18 in Arkansas on it (about the same). A better LD test will be my BBG and SS2K leaving WFO. Going to WFO and at WFO will again be nothing more than 300-600 mile days. I'm also planning on doing a RAT (Ride Around Texas) which is 3000+ miles in under 70 hours. That should happen early next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a mail in (Winter GB, its through the Connie Owners Group-C.O.G.), I've done one SS since then............. its perfect!

+ 1 on the rick mayer,I had one done over the winter,mail in,done in vinyl.longest ride on so far 537 miles.after the ride i noticed i didn't think about my butt being sore,so i guess the seat is doing a fine job.felt like i could have have ridden another 300 hundred miles.plus this was with only 2 quick gas stops.the thing i don't like about the russell is it ruins the sport look of the bike.but this is only my opinion.look at the photos on the web sites and make your own decision.