main key/steering/ignition lock failing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phugedaboudet

Reaction score
Besides the bald tires, worn brakes (thanks, economy!) My 07 is having a new problem. It's been going on awhile but now it's getting critical.

Inserting a key, the lock does not turn and unlock the steering. Or once steering is unlocked, does not turn to "on". It started over a year ago but a little jiggling would allow the key to turn and it never stuck past the steering unlock point. Now it takes 5 minutes of fiddling just to get steering to unlock and a couple more minutes to power on the bike.

Pretty sure it's the lock mechanism and not the key. can't find my spares but that's the next test.

It's been missing the little spring loaded cover that's supposd to close the keyhole for over a year now. Bike lives under the edge of a carport, and has been sitting since cords started showing thru the rear tire and the money for new rubber won't be around until tax refund time.

The question is, if the problem is the key lock (already had the ignition switch recall done less than 2 weeks after the recall was issued) how does one actually get the lock out? Can a replacement lock be ordered that uses the same keys I already have (so the luggage and ignition can be a single key still)? Am I going to have to yank the entire upper clamp to do this? has anyone else had to do this?

Looking for how much the part will cost but I keep getting hits regarding the ignition switch recall and not the lock part I need.

Haven't ridden since after Thanksgiving. *twitch* *twitch*. having withdrawals.

More spiders? Where do you guys come up with these things? You may have a combo of things going on....but what do I know....I've a genI scoot.

it's not electrical or spider related. it's the mechanical portion of the lock that's buggered. If I can get it to turn far enough, everything runs fine.

Do you have a lot of other stuff on your keyring? I've been told that can accelerate wear.

Mine have done similar, but what I have found it to simply put some rearward (if the bars are centered) pressure on the key when turning it and it works just fine then.

I have the small plastic keyfob from the dealer and a house key, nothing else.

the rearward pressure thing doesn't work anymore
sad.png

anyone have a parts list with prices for this?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can't fine the spare key, get a new key made asap and try it. That will definitely answer your question. Sounds like the switch assembly is fubar'd. Yes! You can get it rekey'd if you want to.

A local locksmith was able to make and new key for me when the only key I had wore out and was difficult to use. Cutting a new one from the orignial was a failure. He looked at my key, asked the make, year , and model, and pulled a code from a book. He used this info to make a new key that worked perfectly. It only cost 15 bucks,

Have you had recall M2009-002R completed? This recall will replace your complete switch and if done correctly the key tumblers changed to match your current key.

Check with a Yamaha dealer and he can check your vin number to see if it is included-all 2007 were included.

Sorry, see you completed the recall.......

A local locksmith was able to make and new key for me when the only key I had wore out and was difficult to use. Cutting a new one from the orignial was a failure. He looked at my key, asked the make, year , and model, and pulled a code from a book. He used this info to make a new key that worked perfectly. It only cost 15 bucks,
+1!! My local locksmith has looked up and made keys for me for many things from toolboxes to vehicles without the tumbler in hand, just the number stamped on it.

Also- my '07 does the same thing as far as becoming difficult, usually about once a yr. And it comes from the wear in the key, not the tumbler. I use a new key and it works fine.

But I have always considered bike keys to be a normal wear item like the brake pads and the windshield wipers. My OEM keys never get used on the bike, only copies. OEM key is $15 at the locksmith, a copy of a never-used OEM is $2.15. Plus my OEM key won't fit in my helmet locks where a copy key will.

When was the last time you did basic PM on all your locks?

At least yearly get in there with some aerosol silicone lube. Use the straw to get past th "gate" of the lock, spray the hell out of it, then gently work the lock using the key. If you've never done it before you may have to repeat the process a few times to get it working smoothly.

I don't recommend WD-40 because it wasn't designed as a lube. Water Displacement v40 leave a film behind that gums up in the harsh environment of vehicles. When the carrier chems evaporate it leaves nasty stuff behind. When the carrier chems dry with the aerosol silicone lube it leaved behind a dry lube that doesn't create its own problems later.

I haven't done it on an FJR, but when I was young and poor and had no garage, I had two bikes get vandalized from someone trying to steal them. One hammered a screwdriver into the lock screwing it up. Another broke the triple when trying to break free the steering lock. In both cases I had to change out the lock mechanism and it was a huge PIA.

They use some type of safety screws to bolt it to the triple to keep thieves from just swapping the lock on the fly. On my first, it used bolts that had a star protrusion on it and you used a star socket to install them. When enough torque was applied the stars snapped off leaving a smooth rounded surface. Right pain in the rear to drill those out. I think the second one I did had a simple saftey torx bolt...the one with the star insert and a pin coming up out of the center. You can order those tools and it's not too bad. Not sure what the FJR uses. Hopefully you can find a solution in the above posts, but I figured I'd give you an idea of what you could potentially be up against.

+1 on the key. The ignition key for my FJR is getting kinda worn - been thinking aboot getting a new one cut.

And +1 on lubing the switch. Mine gets all persnickity from time to time. A little lube (all I had handy was WD-40 and it worked - the bike did not spontaneously explode or anything) and all is well. Aboot time to do it again, though...