Maine Chowder / Sightseeing Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Because the previous thread discussing this ride was started as a poll by CJ (De Oppresso Liber), got to be over 300 posts long, and has now evolved into a full on 3 day weekend ride, I thought it would be best to lay out the full itinerary for the weekend here in a separate thread.

Many folks have posted that they may be able to participate, but to be perfectly honest, I haven't been keeping score on who is coming or going when. So, attendance will not be taken before we set out. IOW, you will want to arrive at your intended departure point well before the scheduled departure time or risk being left behind. :eek:

[SIZE=14pt]The First Annual Maine Chowder Ride [/SIZE]

Friday May 21st through Sunday May 23rd 2010

Itinerary:

Friday May 21st

Chowder day baby!!

"Adding to rider girth in a most enjoyable fashion." :bike:

Or, "How to take all day to cover only 111 miles." ;)

We will be departing from the Kittery Trading Post at 9:00AM sharp.

note: there will be no breakfast stop Friday AM, need to save room for chowder.

Intended stops will be:

Nubble Lighthouse

Maine Diner

Alisson's Rest. (Lunch stop)

Clambake Rest.

Lobster Shack at Two Lights

Portland Head Lighthouse

Casco Bay Inn

Alisson's Restaurant will be the sit-down lunch stop. All the other chowder stops (all restaurants besides Alisson's) will be fairly brief stops. We'll try to just grab a cup of chowder (or whatever else you want to try) "to go". The lighthouse stops will be short photo ops. We'll try to make each of these ~15-20 minute stops.

Dinner Friday is planned to be at Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster in South Freeport. The "lunch counter" closes at 7:45PM, so we'll want to get over there soon after arriving in Freeport or else have to make alternate plans.

Saturday May 22nd

Coastal Sightseeing day.

More miles, less filling.

235 miles. ~6 1/2 hours saddle time.

Departing from Casco Bay Inn at 7:30AM sharp!

Breakfast at Mae's Cafe and Bakery in Bath from ~8:00-9:00AM. For those joining the ride on Saturday, meeting us here is an option.

Planned stops:

Boothbay Harbor

Pemaquid Point Lighthouse

Owl's Head Lighthouse

Rockland Cafe (lunch Stop)

Prism Glass Gallery (if open)

Fort Point Lighthouse

Bar Harbor Motel

Dinner is unplanned as of yet. But there are a gazillion great places to eat and drink in "downtown" Bar Harbor. Most are within a short walk from the Bar Harbor Motel. It'll be a good chance to work off some of Friday's chowder... ;) If we have a big number that want to go to one particular place we should call ahead and warn them that we are coming, as most are relatively small places and this will be Saturday night.

Sunday May 23rd

Acadia National Park

There are a whole lot of things to do and see in the park. I suggest that folks form their own plans for places they want to stop and just use the GPS route as a general guide. We used to bring the kids up and spend a full week vacation on the island every year, did that for several years running, and we never ran out of things to do and see. Note that there is a park access fee of $5 per person to use all of the park roads and facilities. It is possible to get around MDI without paying the park fee, but you can't go on the park loop roads.

I have a couple of short GPS routes pre-planned for Sunday. A loop around both sides of Mt Desert island for the morning and a short out and back loop to the section of Acadia on the north side of Frenchman's Bay on the Schoodic Peninsula. Those that have to make a run for home on Sunday may want to make their departure after a lunch stop at the Trenton Bridge Lobster Pound. :thumbsup:

I plan on stopping and taking the short hike up Gorham Mt. It's only a short hike and you get to some exceptionally breathtaking views for such a small investment in time. If you are interested in doing that be sure to bring along some shorts and "sensible shoes" as you won't want to walk up in riding gear. :nono: There are also a lot of other trails that are both longer, tougher and more strenuous trails or flatter and less challenging ones. Almost all result in spectacular photo opportunities.

A stop at the Jordan Pond House for pop-overs and tea is highly recommended. There is also a very nice little loop around the pond that can be walked there, or you can get onto the Carriage Trails system (bicycles or walking only), which is all fairly level for those not up for the cardio challenge of more vertical hikes.

No trip to MDI would be complete without a ride up Cadillac Mountain. The auto road is paved all the way up, but is fairly steep, and the view from the top cannot be beat on a clear day. A favorite thing to do is to ride up and park at one of the turn-outs along the road to watch the sunset.

For those staying Sunday night, we can group up again at the Motel and decide on a spot in town for dinner, or we can just go out in smaller groups. Lots of choices, but I was thinking the Cafe Bluefish would be a nice way to wind things up.

I plan on heading back to the southwest sometime on Monday morning. Since I don't get much thrill out of the Maine Turnpike (I95), I'll be taking a route comprised mostly of US 202, which parallels I95 to its west. Anyone headed my way is welcome to come along. :bike:

[SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

GPS Ride Routes (same as was posted on other thread)

For Garmin / Mapsource users, you should use the Garmin GPS DataBase (GDB) ver3 format: Clam_Chowder_Ride-2010.gdb

For all other GPS users you can use the GPS eXchange (GPX) format file: Clam_Chowder_Ride-2010.gpx

And for those that are totally GPS impaired Here are the turn by turn directions in pdf format for each route:

Friday-KitteryTradingPost_to_CascoBayInn.pdf

Saturday-CascoBayInn_to_BarHarbor.pdf

Sunday-ParkLoop,Cadillac Mt, MDI.pdf

Sunday-SchoodicPointLoop.pdf

Note: I am using Mapsource Ver 6.15.11, which I believe is the latest version downloadable from Garmin.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred, truly a great job on the summary of the chowderfest ride! It was getting hard to sift trough the posts to reveiw info. this is great!! we are looking forward to joining the group! (just need to clear away some unfortunate crap to make the full ride)

Out of this ride with the new job. :angry2: :angry2: :angry2: Praying to make the White and Green mountain ride if at all possible.

You kids have fun, ride safe at those break-neck coastal speeds, and don't forget the chowder at Alison's in Kennebunkport!

And make sure you guys keep track and do a group vote on the best chowder! Looking forward to some good pics and testimonials in ride reports!

Y'all take care!

CJ

As the self-appointed-unofficial-resident-consultant to Fred, I'd like to make a few suggestions to all the participants.

1. The temperatures in Maine are all over the place this time of year and so are the rain clouds. Not that we will have any rain following us around, however, be sure to bring riding gear suitable for ANY weather conditions.

2. Bugs! You'll likely be needing to clean your shield every hour or so like I did on a ride today. Bring some cleaning supplies.

3. More bugs! While the black flies seem to have thinned out somewhat, probably due to the crazy swing in temperatures recently, they may still have an appetite for you, especially when you have chowder breath. And also, it's just about time for the mosquitoes to come out in full force. You don't want to get anywhere near salt water mosquitoes. They will eat you and your FJR at dawn and dusk. Bring the DEET!

4. Booze is real cheap at any NH state liquor store. It's hard to get to Maine without going right past one.

Great job, Fred. Thanks for all your efforts, and to DOL for being the very capable mastermind. I think we should dedicate this ride to you. :clapping:

You all have some good fun up there, but be sure to leave me some gas in Kittery so I can make it home! :p

Fred where are people eating breakfast Friday morning?

I will be making it a day trip from Lynnfield and will be looking to eat on the way, so thought I would meet up with the overnighters if possible.

jack

Not sure about Friday B'fast. Maybe one of the folks staying Thursday night will pipe up with a rendezvous spot in Kittery? There are a lot of places along Rte 1 near the KTP.

and +1 about the rain gear and bug juice. Bring lots of both so (maybe) we won't need 'em... ;)

That is a great ride. I won't be up until October for my sons wedding. A few food places that are near and dear to me. An Italian at Sam's, Pat's Pizza in Orono, yarmouth and other locations, Fat Boys in Brunswick, Moody's Diner, Lobster Pond in Linclonville. Have fun

I am riding down from Fredericton NB on Friday. Going to be at Casco Bay Inn for Friday night and would like to do at least part of the Saturday ride with everyone. Unfortunately, I have other committments for the rest of the weekend but look forward to meeting some fellow FJR owners.

Ross

Kevin or Charlie,

I'll probably take I-95 (Maine Turnpike) to KTP to save time in the morning. What time are you waking and leaving Turner, ME?

I might visit the Friday locations tomorrow to give them a heads-up. Did not have time to pull into Mae's the other day, however. I'll call them tomorrow in case nobody else has about Saturday morning meet.

Friday and Saturday look good for weather.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products.../1/0/video.aspx

Sull

***cancel the heads-up notifying. I realized the places are used to tour bus sized crowds.*********** Will still call Mae's, though.