Maintenance Parts Availability

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BkrK12

Reaction score
This week, none of the five dealerships in southern New Hampshire could produce an FJR air filter. Last week, none of them could produce an oil filter. I'm supposed to show up at a dealership next Thursday morning to get one of the two air filters they are expecting. They won't hold it for me, or let me buy it in advance. I just have to show up before someone else does.

One wonders how they are doing maintenance for their customers if they have no filters in stock. I know times are tight, but how do you generate revenue if you have no parts to sell.?

OK, rant is over. I don't expect anyone do actually do anything. It just annoys me when people who run businesses have no idea how to run a business. BTW, had problems finding stuff on-line, also. And, when you add in shipping, things like filters wind up costing more than at the dealer, anyway.

Dan

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan, I agree with your little [SIZE=8pt]rant[/SIZE].

So far Hudson Cycle hasn't failed to have the parts I'm looking for or has been able to get the parts within a day or so. They even had a stator cover gasket in stock when my second ElectroShit stator burned up earlier the year. Plus they have had all the other odd bits and pieces whenever I've called. Hate the drive over but when they are the only game in town... Due to the distance I always call first. I now have an interesting GPS map that gets me there without having to suffer Rt 111 or Rt 102.

Thats pretty bad not being able to get something as basic as an oil filter. I am lucky enough to have a neighbor who works at a Yamaha marine shop, as long as I can give him a part # I can get it for cost +10%.

I used to buy all my Yamaha parts from a local shop to help keep them alive but they went under anyway, so now i shop around. I just bought a new K&N airfilter on ebay for 1/2 of retail and probably less than the dealer wants for a stock replacement.

This week, none of the five dealerships in southern New Hampshire could produce an FJR air filter. Last week, none of them could produce an oil filter. I'm supposed to show up at a dealership next Thursday morning to get one of the two air filters they are expecting. They won't hold it for me, or let me buy it in advance. I just have to show up before someone else does.
One wonders how they are doing maintenance for their customers if they have no filters in stock. I know times are tight, but how do you generate revenue if you have no parts to sell.?

OK, rant is over. I don't expect anyone do actually do anything. It just annoys me when people who run businesses have no idea how to run a business. BTW, had problems finding stuff on-line, also. And, when you add in shipping, things like filters wind up costing more than at the dealer, anyway.

Dan
BkrK12,

Fjr Goodies will send you that stuff cheaper and come right to your door. They are in the vendor section. I hope they are still around?

Dan
How do they do it, they keep the bike for a week that how..I called about 5 dealers on the filter finally found one with 1. Bought it. When I checked the filter on the bike it looked brand new. Most dealers can get the parts in a day or 2. Call it Just in Time Supply Management. You are not part of the equation. I just ordered brake pads as a reserve from BikeBandit.

Willie

Ron Ayers was cheaper than a (somewhat) local dealer for the air cleaner, even with shipping.

I use the ST7317 oil filter.

Just bought 4 oil filters on fleabay for $10 per including shipping. Got them 2 days later (of course, the seller was in So Cal and me in No Cal). I have heard about the how it can be difficult to get them locally so I went to the fleabay route. Still plenty up there (for 11.55 incl shipping - I snagged the cheapest ones already!) Just a thought if you get desparate.

Advanced Auto stores carry Purolator filters. When I go there I buy a few PL14610 to keep in my own 'stock room'. If I forget to keep that filled. I stop at Wally World and grab a couple ST7317 filters. Both of these after market filters get high marks on these interweb sites. The only Yamaha oil filter I've used is the one that came with it. That was 24 oil changes ago.

I bought one air filter a couple years ago from and independant guy in Salisbury MA (Rick Claxton Powersports) who has a supplier for Yamaha parts. Usually I just clean out the air filter with a air hose once a year and re-install it. Rather pricey item and I don't think it needs replacement too often.

Just bought a K&N from D2Moto. They had a 25% sale going on. Don't know if it is still going. I will check.

Edited to add: Use coupon code "WS25". It still works. Final price is $54.60 shipped. Got mine in 3 days.

Amazon is pretty competitive on price of the Purolator oil filters $10.55 and if you have Amazon Prime the 2-day shipping is free. They also often run sales on these where you pay something like $6 per filter, so just stock up then.