Mapping software

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the nice things about Mapsource was that I could have multiple routes. If I have 10 day trip planned, I like to break my routes into days of 400-600 miles with riding day times of 7-10 hours. This makes it easier to make adjustments for weather, side trips etc.
This ^^^

BaseCamp is the only offering (other than DeLorme which few use) that will let you display and manipulate more than one route on the same screen.

The last Rally I planned was based around the scenic routes on the Colorado DOT website ... So before you even started you needed about 13 routes plotted and visible.

Those who feel BC is poor, and I would agree that the interface could use work, actually just don't know how to use it. Planning a route is simplicity itself and can be done with just a few quick mouse-clicks. Refining it is equally easy, as is exporting the result to a Garmin GPS.

The thing is, not everyone needs that amount of power and flexibility, and if you are one of them then Google Maps and other alternatives work very well. But the idea that BC is either difficult or "useless" is simply a myth propogated by those who have never learned how to use it
biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Google Maps is good for a quick fairly simple point-to-point routing. The inability to use off-line, the limited number of waypoints possible and the lack of export to GPS (without a program such as Tyre) makes it pretty much useless for serious trip planning. I use it if I want to do a start here, end here and route via a couple of points along the way or to do a quick compare between two routes. The best thing about GM is the street view! I use that regularly when routing over unknown roads; even when I have crafted my route using Mapsource or Streets & Trips. Traffic and construction features are also helpful.

Haven't learned Basecamp yet but it is on my "to do" list for the winter.

RossK, same here. Plus, really like street view when checking out motels
smile.png
This you can do directly from within BaseCamp. It is one of the most helpful features.
Street view in Basecamp? I think the idea is to see what the outside really looks like (or looked like when the Google vehicle made its pass). Although the Garmin POI is pretty good I like the visual display on GM when looking for a campsite or motel. I fully admit that my Basecamp knowledge is sketchy but I am working on that.

Google Maps is good for a quick fairly simple point-to-point routing. The inability to use off-line, the limited number of waypoints possible and the lack of export to GPS (without a program such as Tyre) makes it pretty much useless for serious trip planning.
Go check motogoloco.com (again).

Google Maps is good for a quick fairly simple point-to-point routing. The inability to use off-line, the limited number of waypoints possible and the lack of export to GPS (without a program such as Tyre) makes it pretty much useless for serious trip planning.
Go check motogoloco.com (again).
I will have a look, thanks.

smile.png
This you can do directly from within BaseCamp. It is one of the most helpful features.
Street view in Basecamp? I think the idea is to see what the outside really looks like (or looked like when the Google vehicle made its pass). Although the Garmin POI is pretty good I like the visual display on GM when looking for a campsite or motel. I fully admit that my Basecamp knowledge is sketchy but I am working on that.
Sorry, some times brain gets ahead of fingers. I meant the street view in Google maps...

Used mapsource for years. Recently tried Basecamp but just haven't got the hang of it nor do I really want to. Started using Tyre at the end of this summer. Easy to use and worked great for what I needed.

smile.png
Sorry, some times brain gets ahead of fingers. I meant the street view in Google maps...
Yes, you can view StreetView, the Google one, directly from BaseCamp. As I said, it is very useful.

Yes, you can view StreetView, the Google one, directly from BaseCamp. As I said, it is very useful.
Good to know, thanks. I haven't gotten into Basecamp very much and did not realize that this was possible. One more reason to drop Google Maps.

Good to know, thanks. I haven't gotten into Basecamp very much and did not realize that this was possible. One more reason to drop Google Maps.
You need Google Earth installed on your PC.

Then, anything you highlight in BaseCamp can be seen directly in Google Earth, and Streetview, from the "View" menu in BaseCamp. It's awesome for planning.

BaseCamp also has the ability to generate map error reports to Garmin Navteq. It's not uncommon to encounter a new roadway or ramp that is not updated on the Garmin GPS maps. In BaseCamp you can see your track log and identify locations the map in in error. A right click generates a map error report. I usually use the Google Earth link as the reference in the error report as Google maps and satellite are usually updated long before Navteq.

Map errors on the GPS can really be confusing because I get used to the maps being generally right, and when an intersection is wrong in an unfamiliar area, it can really throw you. You still have to pay attention to road signs and the real world.

The nice thing about being able to see your route in street view is that you can tell (pretty accurately) whether or not your route is taking you on dirt roads. Well, I like leaving dirt roads out of my routes anyway.

BaseCamp was sort of a chore for me to learn, but now that I have been using it, when I went back to MapSource the other day, I forgot how to use that LOL

This weekend I decided to give Tyre a try. What a great piece of software when compared to Basecamp. It is easy to understand. Easy to create and modify routes and very easy to download a created route into a Garmin GPS. I'm sorry I waited so long to try it. It does seem to have one issue that I can't figure out. It seems to have a limited number of waypoints on a given route. When you drag and drop a route to a more interesting road, it counts that as a waypoint. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a work around?

I have been playing with Furkot recently and it can create routes, like Google Maps does, that can be exported in a file format that Basecamp or Mapsource can read.

Then you can load it into Garmin GPS device. Seems to work just fine.

I tried Tyre but when opening the file in a Garmin map, it was a mess!

Spent more time fixing the waypoints than making the map in the first place.

I'm off to check out Motogoloco now.

Checked out Motogoloco and I have a new favorite mapping software.

It will export DIRECTLY to my Garmin and has added features that are quite useful.

Routes can be submitted for others to download.

As it is a web site based program, you can open it up on different computers.

One problem I have is that after "saving" my route, it doesn't show up in "My Routes"

Must be stored somewhere....

I was just playing around with the Motogoloco mapping and it seems easy to understand and to make a route. I will have to try and download it to my 660 and see if it recognizes it, once I figure out how to get it on my gps