Mapsource/Mapsucks whatever you prefer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSrider

Reaction score
I have been playing around with mapsource and my Garmin 2820 since I got it last week. Since I am attending CFR in June I thought i would try and plan a route that would end at the Kuskanax Lodge. Well mapsource cannot find the lodge, in fact the only lodging it finds in Nakusp is the Leland Hotel. Can anyone else with mapsource find the lodge or is it such a small out of the way place that it is not listed in the POI's?

I have been playing around with mapsource and my Garmin 2820 since I got it last week. Since I am attending CFR in June I thought i would try and plan a route that would end at the Kuskanax Lodge. Well mapsource cannot find the lodge, in fact the only lodging it finds in Nakusp is the Leland Hotel. Can anyone else with mapsource find the lodge or is it such a small out of the way place that it is not listed in the POI's?
It's pretty common for places to NOT be in Mapsource. But no worries, do you have a street address? Program that in.

If you can find it in Google Maps, you can get it into a GPX file which then is readable in Mapsource. You'll need this little website to help with that.

It's pretty common for places to NOT be in Mapsource. But no worries, do you have a street address? Program that in.

If you can find it in Google Maps, you can get it into a GPX file which then is readable in Mapsource. You'll need this little website to help with that.
+1

I also was going to suggest programming the address in.

Nakusp is small enough you are lucky it can find it...*LOL*

Try www.POIfriend.com for additional POI's you can download to your GPS..lots of Canadian content.

NSrider, after about 5 yrs. with Garmin (276C) & Mapsource I've discovered that the POIs are usually pretty inadequate. Don't every rely on them being either current or thorough. If it's a Holiday Inn, and it's been in operation for 4 years or more, good chance it will be listed, though it could have been in operation 4 yrs ago, but has since gone defunct. If it's the town hall or police station, it's probably good. If it's a B&B or small local hotel or cafe... chancy. Gas stations or gas/convenience store, be careful, if there's only one listed at the next town and you've got just enough gas to get there but no further, you could be setting yourself up for some trouble.

Garmin isn't real great about keeping the POI's up-to-date. Even getting the newest map updates isn't any guarantee of anything. I've purchased the latest upgrade, only to find some POI like a new chain hotel that's been in existence for 3 years still isn't listed.

Not saying that the POI's are worthless. Just always keep in mind their limitations.

Same with roads. Not always real current on changes.

Have to say though that most of what I hear indicates that the other GPS companies are often even worse.

As has been said, a good rule of thumb is, always get the address when you can.

If you take trips often and always bring your GPS, you WILL eventually have stories of how it saved your bacon. Like 2 occasions when I was on long trips with a friend and one of us got a flat, only to discover that either the tube of plug glue had dried out, or we needed gummy strips instead of plugs, and the GPS located an autoparts store in the middle of nowhere. Glory gee to beezes.

Have fun.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks JD - been looking for that....