Marin County ("Shiny Hiney") Ride Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
After velcroing to my dashboard all my special trip accessories (see photo), suiting up, and pulling away from my house at 7:55 am, I arrived back home at 6:10 pm, having put (only) 187 miles on the Feejer. So while it was a lot of hours (about 10), it was not that many miles, which should ensure my membership in the Candy-Butt Association for a while longer. Nevertheless I was beat, and a cold beer as soon as I closed the garage door on the Feejer sure hit the spot.

476385933_5bdcbbcbde.jpg

After leaving the house at the start of the ride, I stopped at the Rockridge BART station before crossing into San Francisco to meet up with jwhite518 and the Mrs. (Jerry and Sally). But after waiting about 20 minutes they didn’t show by the agreed-upon move-on time, so I pulled away and headed into the City. I was running late, so I moved pretty briskly across the fast-moving Bay Bridge and then through San Francisco.

I pulled up to the rendezvous point at the Presidio at about 9:15 am, worried I was late. But when I looked ahead to the parking lot of the rendezvous area, I was disappointed to see there were no bikes there.

I stopped at a booth with an attendant before parking the bike, and as I was "discussing" :glare: with the lady in the booth why the 20-minute parking limit didn't apply to me and my no-show buddies (and how it wasn’t what her colleague had said during my scouting ride), up behind me appears a parade of three 2005 FJRs—it’s was the Sacramento contingent: Weekend Rider, rsvlfeej, and FJR Hopeful.

We parked (photo), and I heard how Hopeful had taken them on the "scenic" route, somehow managing to miss the Bay Bridge (uh, it's the size of the Empire State Building on its side :blink: ), with the result that they took a tour of Berkeley before finding their way across the bridge and into the City. And even after getting into the City they somehow managed to visit all the sights before apparently by accident stumbling on the rendezvous point. Okay, so here's lesson 1: Choose a more convenient rendezvous point (thanks for the tip, Silent).

2005 FJRs Lined Up at the Presidio Rendezvous

476203039_b07d3e6929.jpg

But the weather and the rendezvous location (photo) were beautiful. I handed out the free-coffee passes and the route maps, got emergency contact information from everyone, and sent them off to get coffee.

Presidio View Toward the Palace of Fine Art (View From Coffee Shop)

476203043_90e687766b.jpg

Then Lisa showed up on her Suzuki 650 single-banger, and we got her introduced all around. But still no word from jwhite518, not even a call. But just as we finished our coffee and headed back to the bikes to suit up and head out, here comes Jerry and Sally in their matching red-and-black Aerostitch’s. I talked to Jerry about the rendezvous, and it seems we were an hour off on our understanding of the rendezvous time. My bad :headbonk: —mistake and lesson number two: Make sure everyone’s clear (including yourself!) on the time.

In the mean time I got a call from Kurt. He would meet us at the Golden Gate Bridge overlook on his Sportster. So I gave the ride briefing, saying how we were going to take it real easy because we had a fairly new rider (Lisa), and jwhite518 was with his wife who hadn’t been for a ride in a while. Boy, would I catch hell for taking it easy!

We were finally off at about 10:30 or so. We did a quick tour of the Presidio and Fort Point, then got on the GGB and headed up to the overlook. We stopped for a couple of pictures, and picked up Kurt.

Golden Gate Bridge Overlook (L to R: Weekend Rider, rsvlfeej, the jwhite518s, Lisa, FJR Hopeful, Kurt)

476203053_db96fdfcd3_b.jpg

Yours Truly with (at left) FJR Hopeful (I'm actually standing on a boulder, which is why Hopeful looks shorter ;) )

476203055_37e3337c4b.jpg

Soon we were back on Hwy 101 north heading for the Hwy 1 exit. But because it was such a beautiful day, and all the tourists were out, the off-ramp and the two miles from there to the Hwy 1 turn-off was completely backed up. With nods all around we exercised our God-given right :innocent: as Californians to “share lanes,” and toodled through the stopped traffic to gain a large space and time advantage.

That’s about when I noticed that suddenly there was a burgundy 2007 FJR among our group. It was Silent from San Jose, who after much tribulation trying to find us, finally caught up with us.

From there it was a beautiful, 35-mile ride to Pt. Reyes Station. That’s when I took off my helmet and ear plugs, turned, and noticed the Sacramento contingent, lead by rsvlfeej whom we all know loves to go fast and BTW goes fast really really well, like Mr. ExSkiBum himself—approaching me with torches and pitch forks (I have no idea how they got those on such short notice).

It seems I was taking it too easy, waaaaaaay too easy. Everybody was upset with me and questioned my manhood, my motorcycle-riding ability, whether my children were really sired by me, and whether I shouldn’t be shot in the back of the head right then and there. (Anyway, Sally said the pace was just fine :p .)

476390114_8e0b46cd78_o.jpg

Asking “What part of ‘take it easy’ didn’t you understand” was to no avail (we were riding FJRs after all), so instead I promised to dial it up on the next 20-mile leg of twisties to our lunch stop at Dillon Beach. Which I did, crossing over ONLY one double-yellow to pass an ass-hat who wouldn’t use the turnouts, while rsvlfeej stopped to instruct him after he lamely slowed to the right without fully pulling into the turnout. Do NOT piss off rsvlfeej—are we clear on that point?! ;) :D

BTW, Jerry and Sally had to head home from Pt. Reyes Station because Sally was getting too much pain in her knees from having been away from the bike too long. But it was great to see Jerry and meet Sally, and we’ll look forward to doing it again, only next time with Fang. Jerry was glad for the chance to have taken Sally out again.

The remaining contingent pulled into Tomales and parked in front of the Tomales deli to grab some sandwiches, and—behold!—there was a 2005 FJR parked in front, along with a BMW K1200GT. We chatted the guys up, and it seems they’re from Southern California, doing a long weekend. The FJR rider, Frank, isn’t on the Forum. But it seems he has the long-sought-after solution to the heat problem. Seems a couple of aerospace engineer friends of his scoffed at the idea of stuffing 500,000 Q-Tips down either side of your farings, and designed him a top-secret, new-fandangled, metallic mystery spoiler that somehow attaches to the bottom of the engine compartment. We gathered and gaped in amazement, while Frank nodded sagely, as cool as a cucumber (photo--rsvlfeej may have more details, as he talked to Frank at length about the fix).

FJR With Final Solution to Heat Problem (see wing under bike; background, L to R, Kurt, Silent)

476215562_32e4231f98.jpg
476215584_f4ae7be200.jpg

We got our sandwiches and took off the two miles down to Dillon Beach. We paid our $3, and gingerly husbanded the bikes through the dirt and gravel parking lot to the edge of the sand. There we lamely sat on towels or posts or just stood while eating our sandwiches, til Weekend came up and said something to the effect of how we can stand and eat like a bunch of troglodytes, but for his part he was going to sit at that nice picnic table right over there; and he trudged off through the sand. We looked after him and were amazed to see a table where moments before there didn’t seem to be any. So we all picked up our stuff and followed him over (photo).

Lunch at Dillon Beach (L to R, FJR Hopeful, Kurt, Lisa, Silent, rsvlfeej, Weekend Rider)

476215588_db764e939e_b.jpg

Silent Taking a Photo of the Amazing Bumper Sticker Car

476229880_09ef77ac27.jpg

After lunch the Sac Boys continued north on Hwy 1 to experiment with the twisties at speed and get out their pent-up frustrations after following Burleigh the Pussy for too many miles (they decided my new Forum handle should be Aunt Bessie :( --there goes my reputation! I may have to re-post my commute and "Can't Ride 55" videos to get out of the hole :glare: ), while Silent, Lisa, Kurt, and I headed southeast for some more scenic Marin County scenery (and, uh, silly cars) before heading home.

Lisa and James Burleigh Stand in Front of Odd Car Sighting No. II in Nicasio

476229886_cd2e90a691.jpg
476229890_9c529c8541.jpg

All told it was a great day. We had good weather and a good turnout: eight bikes altogether, mostly 2005's, with Silent on his new 2007 (with the light scratch that'll just buff out from its parked encounter with a bus the previous weekend); and then there was the 518's BMW and the two cruisers. Here's who made it:

• James Burleigh
  • jwhite518 & wife
  • Silent (San Jose)
  • Weekend Rider (Woodland)
  • rsvlfeej, Roseville
  • FJR Hopeful, Sacramento
  • Lisa (colleague from work on a Suzuki LS 650), San Francisco
  • Kurt (buddy from high school on a 1200 Sportster), San Rafael
Thanks to all those above for making the effort to participate on this ride. :clapping: I hope you had a good time overall. This was my first organized ride. I made some mistakes and learned my lessons. I’ll do it better next time. And I hope you’ll all join me again!
Hans

a.k.a. James Burleigh

Last Look: JB's '05 and Silent's '07 FJRs

476229912_cf784c2717.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like ya'll had a great ride! Next time JB...

Edit - almost forgot... Nice CBA ride dude!

Ahhh, the joys of being a ride leader/organizer! <_< Good on yuh. :thumbsup: It looks like you guys had a gorgeous day and a great time. :yahoo: BTW, idiots were on the roads everywhere, not just in the Bay area. :angry2:

Its good to know that the Sacramento contingent is keeping up the rebellious-independent spirit! I wonder who started THAT?

Thanks for organizing the ride. It was great meeting everyone and had a good time. The pace was a little slow, but you said it was going to be a slow cruise. It was...lol. The Roseville, Woodland, Sacramento contingent had a nice, but even longer day. I rolled in at 9pm last night with 421 miles for the day. RSVLFeej keeps a very face pace and rides it like he stold it. I did my best to keep up, but would meet him at the next stopping point. The ride up hwy 1 was superb. We lost Bob at our Geyserville stop as we didn't see signs for Geyserville and wound up in Healdsburg where we fueled up. We went back to Geyserville to find Bob and no Bob. So we headed down 128 where about 25 miles later we came up behind a very familiar '05 Feejer. Yep it was Bob. Stopped at some place called the Corners and chatted for a bit. Followed Bob to Winters and then headed for Sac. Anyway thanks again for organizing the ride and the great weather this time. I enjoyed the ride day recap.

Thanks again. Look forward to the next ride with a few more mph next time.

Cheers!

A most excellent ride indeed, and a very good writeup too! Good job JB! :clapping: I believe a good time was had by all, and a chance to meet some new faces and see some new farkles. I could actually feel the cobwebs clearing out of my brain by the time we hit the cows :p I needed that B)

A most excellent ride indeed, and a very good writeup too! Good job JB! :clapping: I believe a good time was had by all, and a chance to meet some new faces and see some new farkles. I could actually feel the cobwebs clearing out of my brain by the time we hit the cows :p I needed that B)
hope to see some of you guys for the Tahoe ride in 2 weeks. See here

Richard

A most excellent ride indeed, and a very good writeup too! Good job JB! :clapping: I believe a good time was had by all, and a chance to meet some new faces and see some new farkles. I could actually feel the cowwebs clearing out of my brain by the time we hit the cobs :p I needed that B)
Fixed it for yah Silent! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the ride That is a well kept secret that road off the golden Gate thereand backthrought the valley heading.

The ride up north on the coast is always good. The road that rsvlfeejr found to take is quite some road I t will make a good fall run before the rains. I was home by 8:30 .

Jb glad you the chance the to experience the thrill of putting on a ride.Next time will be betterand we will go faster....... ah-ha

good job jb

From there it was a beautiful, 35-mile ride to Pt. Reyes Station. That’s when I took off my helmet and ear plugs, turned, and noticed the Sacramento contingent, lead by rsvlfeej whom we all know loves to go fast and BTW goes fast really really well, like Mr. ExSkiBum himself—approaching me with torches and pitch forks (I have not idea how they got those on such short notice).
It seems I was taking it too easy, waaaaaaay too easy. Everybody was upset with me and questioned my manhood, my motorcycle-riding ability, whether my children were really sired by me, and whether I shouldn’t be shot in the back of the head right then and there.
NOW you know why I hand out maps and let the er...uhm...faster guys :unsure: go first. Besides, that way THEY can find the Chippies! :coolsmiley:

Thanks for sharing this interesting ride report. Well done!

Hey JWhite518, get a set of these for your wife. She'll ride with you all day! My SO said they made a big difference and is no longer bothered by knee pain when we ride. :yahoo:

Charlie

JB,

Sorry about handing the mob pitchforks and torches - Must learn the art of the gentle tug on the sleeve and the whispered aside...

Some very pretty country and good travelling companions throughout the ride. Rode at my rendition of "The Pace" after leaving the SFO locals, with about a 10 mph over the limit cap on speed (until we got to those big sweepers on Skaggs Spring Rd.). Weekend Rider obviously knew his way around his bike, and FJRHopeful kept reappearing in my mirrors after every series of turns. When we stopped for gas in Healdsburg, FJRHopeful tells me he's only had the FJR a month and has only been on street bikes about a year! Holy Crap - All I could think was what's he gonna ride like when he gets the necessary saddle-time to feel comfortable?

Frank's FJR (the strange '05 we ran into) heat fix is an "L"-shaped piece of aluminum affixed under the bottom front fairing with about a 2" tall by 4" wide flat part sticking out below the fairing - Picture pretty much sums it up. The theory is that the air will swirl behind this mini-airfoil and take away a lot of the engine heat from the lower part of the motor and exhaust. I believe the bonafides of the guys who thunk it up are that they did fairing/airfoil design work on the BMWs for the CHP. This trip was the first test run for Frank and he was already talking about trimming it a bit shorter (to maybe 1 1/2" tall) because it kept getting bent. - I squatted to look at it, but didn't slide all the way under to see what the attachment points were.

Thanks for setting up the ride,

RsvlFeej

.......he was already talking about trimming it a bit shorter (to maybe 1 1/2" tall) because it kept getting bent. - I squatted to look at it, but didn't slide all the way under to see what the attachment points were.
C'mon, man! You should be willing to get a little dirty for "the cause" and you FJR brethren. I can see where the idea would work. When I looked at the size my first though was, "I'll bet that's interesting going over speed bumps." A concept that might be worth a try. I'm guessing the size is so it will work at slower speeds, say 25 mph, as the bike cools pretty quickly at 45 mph. I wonder if a spring-loaded-hinged flap might work?

Thanks JB for a great day. The weather was good, the scenery was good, the riding was good (maybe a bit slow, Aunt Bessie :) ) and it was nice to meet a bunch of new people. I know you put a lot into organizing this and I appreciate your effort. After we split from you guys, we bought some sandwiches in Pt. Reyes Station, then headed home through Nicasio. We missed the funny car from your photo. Traffic totally sucked once we got back to the east bay, so we got off the freeway and wound our way through Berkeley. Sally didn't complain any more about her knees. I think she just needs some more time in the saddle. When's the next ride?

Hey Charlie, who posted a link to a passenger footpeg lowering kit -- Thanks for the idea, but that particular kit is for an FJR and I'm the guy on the BMW.

518 , that message is correct that picture showing that peg is so you will know what and where to get lowering pegs. Of course you know you have to trade in that bmw and then you will be just like the rest of us.........only kidding weekend rider :D

What an awesome ride and a great story - hope to join you guys one of these rides - last weekend I was at Point Reyes with the motorhome - and very envious of the riders that zipped by - I want Rsvlfeej to know I do use the pullout.

Thanks for the ride report. Enjoyed the pics. Lisa needs to kick that Savage to da curb and get a real bike. :rolleyes:

Btw, was that heat thingamajig made out of stainless or aluminum, how thick and can you find out how it was attached?

Lisa needs to kick that Savage to da curb and get a real bike. :rolleyes:
She splits that 650 very well, she even split past me crossing the 'Gate. It's a good ride for San Francisco, nimble and narrow.