Market view from a former day trader.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CRMH Eagle

Reaction score
I decided to write this after reading the posts on the market in the topic "How are those employed doing in this economy?"

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=114746

Let me preface this by saying I have studied the book stuff in college and out of college due to my profession. Also I daytraded full time for almost two years back in the late 90's when daytrading came into its noteriety. I am NOT an expert on the economy or the market or daytrading. However I've learned a few things that may help some here on this forum.

While daytrading I learned how things really work in the stock, options, and futures market. It's very ugly, unfairness is common, and illegal actions are part of it. Back in 1998 a fund manager was going to testify about illegal actions in certain penny stocks. The day before he was to testify he was found in his apartment with a bullet in his head and no gun in the vicinity.

When a professor or economist speaks who has no experience in the market or the business world then take what's being said with a grain of salt. Their view comes from academia which doesn't always translate to the real world. If you want real-time status on the economy and the market then listen to the people who have a successful track record and that track record has been in the market and/or business. Someone who qualifies would be Jim Cramer on Mad Money. He has both the elite educational background and a sucessful track record in the market. Some of the people on CNBC's show "Fast Money" are very successful traders and fund managers. These are the types of people YOU SHOULD BE LISTENING TO.

Who are those who you should take their viewpoint with skepticism? Journalist w/out the above credentials, the economics teacher at your local college, those speaking on behalf of the administration, those speaking on behalf of investment funds, etc. (Caveat: journalist without the "credentials" but really really know what's going on can be trusted, ie Maria Bartiromo.)

Here are facts you need to understand:

* The housing market was stated as overvalued since the early 1990's. The housing bust shouldn't be a surprise. When the Nasdaq and the technology sector crashed in 2000-01 it wasn't a surprise to traders or fund managers. We all knew it was going to happen. At that time we all knew the last thing to be brought back to reality was the housing sector. Just a matter of time. The pressure from gov't administrators to push mortgage approval for those who didn't qualify only increased the bubble.

* Markets are always brought back to "street" value. Doesn't matter if it is gold, housing, stocks, your car, orange futures, etc. If the value is out of whack then usually there is a huge swing in the other direction, past the street value, and continuing on. Just like a pendulum, it's gotta swing all the way to the other side before coming back to equilibrium.

* As a whole, the market is governed by two factors: greed, & fear. This is wisdom that is quickly learned by traders and fund managers. What about earnings, sector growth, great balance sheets, etc? Yeah, what about it? There are plenty of stocks NOW that have great balance sheets, earnings, etc, but the price has taken a beating. Why? Citigroup's news this week of decent earnings pushed the market up. Why? If you run your technical analysis you will see the Dow was overvalued over a year ago but people kept buying. What's the answer?

--> when people are greedy they buy, when they get fearful they sell.

* Consumer spending accounts for over half of our GDP. When this stops so does manufacturing, service companies, etc. And when companies don't get the orders they lay off people. Then people can't spend. Layoffs and decreasing output makes people fearful. When people are fearful they don't spend their money. What makes them buy? When there is a need or confidence. So this is a cycle that needs to remedied before our economy recovers.

* Many stocks can be controlled by large investment/hedge funds. Many times news is released or withheld for the large holders, NOT YOU. I've seen Merril Lynch recommend Cisco to their customers 2 weeks before it lost half it's value. I've seen analyists at Goldman Sachs put out unsubstantiated press releases on stocks just to protect their holding. I've watched our international trading club push a $7 stuck up to $30 in two trading days just so we could make a killing.

* The market with all of it's complexities should be viewed with simplicity: when there are more buyers than sellers (greed) the price goes up. When there more sellers than buyers (fear) the price goes down. Right now most of the money that was invested in the market a year ago is now in CASH. But there are still more people who haven't sold their positions and will do so in the next month as they realize they can't take any more pain. How do we know this? Because there are still more sellers than buyers.

* When the stock market rallies it should rally fast. Usually when the market moves in the other direction and past the equilibrium point, then the return back towards equilibrium is just as strong as the initial move. This is why the smart money is in cash. Is smart money trying to predict the bottom? No. Should you attempt to predict the bottom? Definitely not. Never go against smart money. Smart money is looking for confidence to return substantiated by reliable market and economical indicators. Confidence will breed greed. Greed will move the market it back up. Be patient and listen to the guys (as mentioned above) who know what they talking about. It's better to be patient and miss the first part of a true rally than jump in at the beginning of a fake rally that goes up and then quickly retreats and goes lower.

* There is a consensus among noted and successful traders and that is there is a pyschology to forces behind the market. The market doesn't run on it's own but by people like you and me. Because we are human then emotions are a huge part. Thus human greed and fear should be understood. If you were in a movie theatre and someone shouted "Fire!" then most people would quickly run out without substantiating the evidence. If you were in a store and someone shouted "everything on this shelf only a buck!!!" Of course you would go inquire.

Does greed and fear govern the actions of the big guys on wall street? Of Course!!!

So be smart. Spend only when necessary. Review your retirement accounts with a trusted advisor. If you are in the market or will be then put a tight hold on your greed and fear. Same applies to buying a house, car, or whatever. Don't let the realtor entice you that the fixer-upper in the bad part of town is going to triple your investment. Don't let that shiny new thing in the dept store window entice your greed to buy it. And lastly don't let fear get the best of you and sell everything and move up in Montana in the mountains and live like a hermit.

This economy will recover. The stock market will recover. When? Only God knows. There is some very good advice available, for free, if you are willing to learn and challenge everything you hear.

Traders have a saying that if a dumb sap is willing to put his/her money into the market then they are very willing to take it from them.

Here's a proverb for thought: "A wise man will test but a fool always rushes in."

Thanks Eagle for the primer...I appreciate the thought put into your post.

Now...anyone up for some roulette with the IRA Funds?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post Eagle. I, like most find this market pendulum really confusing,especially after many years of consistent gain. Theses 401k losses hit home for most right now. The reality is what do I actually have when a person wants to set up an annuity for the rest of his or her's life.

First let me say I agree with 99% of what you had to say. I was a trader for 20+ years in Chicago.

The only comment I would add/correct is that the talking heads on CNBC spend a majority of their time endorsing their own agenda. Selling advertising. They are not market gurus (and you did not say they were, I know) Successfull traders? Questionable. Cramer? I've seen studies (briefly read by me) Citation & Citation that show his accuracy around 46%. Not good. What he IS good at is creating space to sell advertising. The greatest traders I've ever known have never gone one TV or written a book. Why would they? They make more money trading. Maria Bartiromo? I'll give her the fact she was a pioneer for women reporters on the trading floor, but she has been accused on conflicts of interest more than once (Google it) and she definitely conducts softball interviews. The rest of them? I could analyze each of them and point out how they use the forum they have to further their own gains. I wouldn't call them credentials. CNBC is mostly people who talk a good game, that's it. They're not even reporters. They completely missed the biggest story of our lifetime. They simply push their own agenda - selling whatever you’re buying.

Honestly? I can't say I blame them. People have been selling snake oil to suckers since the beginning of time and they will be doing so until the insects take over. My trader mentality? Absolutley. The simple fact that everyone should know about any market (or life for that matter) is that past performance does not predict the future. Read the book "Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. He gets it.

Stop blindly investing in "The Market". It will not always go up. And no "over time" it will not necessarily go up either. And No, your house is NOT an investment - it's where you live.

My Point? It's really to endorse yours: Question what you are told. When it comes to the world of Finance it's a brutal winner take all realm. If you're not prepared to lose, don’t play. If you bring your money into my world I WILL take it from you. We used to call that "fresh meat" and the best traders were carnivores. And don't whine about how it's unfair. You don't get to play in the NFL just because you want to and I didn’t get to be a Rock Star.

Here's a story for you. Everybody knows who Joe Kennedy was right? By September 1929 has was not in the stock market. He was mostly cash. He was a notorious short seller. Meaning he and his buddies would sell the Sh*t out of a stock until it was near worthless and then turn around and buy the company for nothing.

So after the crash of '29, FDR starts the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) to oversee the "crooks" on Wall St. and guess who gets appointed to be the first Chairman. You got it-- Joe kennedy. What's the first thing old Joe does? He outlaws Short Selling Pools. The game is fixed - it always has been - and always will be.

Money doesn't care who you are, what color you are, whether you’re a straight or not, what your politics are, and it certainly doesn't give a rats ass what the pundits on CNBC have to say. And neither should you.

So YES the people at CNBC should be listened to. Just don't believe them.

For a good laugh: Click.

Thanks for the write up, good info (even if I'm hesitant to believe all of it, right? :D )

Saw Cramer on Daily last night. Took a while but I finally figured out Stewart was after the reporting methods and content, not necessarily the individual reporters. Much like some radio and TV talk show hosts, in it for the ratings and entertainment, not necessarily the content accuracy. The only publication I've seen that is halfway balanced is "The Economist" (but still has it's own problems) but not unlike reading the phone book or dictionary for entertainment value.

Jeezbus....I don't even want to look at my I.R.A. right now.....you fuckers.....you die....you die and go to hell..........

First let me say I agree with 99% of what you had to say. I was a trader for 20+ years in Chicago.
The only comment I would add/correct is that the talking heads on CNBC spend a majority of their time endorsing their own agenda. Selling advertising. They are not market gurus (and you did not say they were, I know) Successfull traders? Questionable. Cramer? I've seen studies (briefly read by me) Citation & Citation that show his accuracy around 46%. Not good. What he IS good at is creating space to sell advertising. The greatest traders I've ever known have never gone one TV or written a book. Why would they? They make more money trading. Maria Bartiromo? I'll give her the fact she was a pioneer for women reporters on the trading floor, but she has been accused on conflicts of interest more than once (Google it) and she definitely conducts softball interviews. The rest of them? I could analyze each of them and point out how they use the forum they have to further their own gains. I wouldn't call them credentials. CNBC is mostly people who talk a good game, that's it. They're not even reporters. They completely missed the biggest story of our lifetime. They simply push their own agenda - selling whatever you’re buying.

Honestly? I can't say I blame them. People have been selling snake oil to suckers since the beginning of time and they will be doing so until the insects take over. My trader mentality? Absolutley. The simple fact that everyone should know about any market (or life for that matter) is that past performance does not predict the future. Read the book "Fooled by Randomness" by Nassim Nicholas Taleb. He gets it.

Stop blindly investing in "The Market". It will not always go up. And no "over time" it will not necessarily go up either. And No, your house is NOT an investment - it's where you live.

My Point? It's really to endorse yours: Question what you are told. When it comes to the world of Finance it's a brutal winner take all realm. If you're not prepared to lose, don’t play. If you bring your money into my world I WILL take it from you. We used to call that "fresh meat" and the best traders were carnivores. And don't whine about how it's unfair. You don't get to play in the NFL just because you want to and I didn’t get to be a Rock Star.

Here's a story for you. Everybody knows who Joe Kennedy was right? By September 1929 has was not in the stock market. He was mostly cash. He was a notorious short seller. Meaning he and his buddies would sell the Sh*t out of a stock until it was near worthless and then turn around and buy the company for nothing.

So after the crash of '29, FDR starts the SEC (Securities and Exchange Commission) to oversee the "crooks" on Wall St. and guess who gets appointed to be the first Chairman. You got it-- Joe kennedy. What's the first thing old Joe does? He outlaws Short Selling Pools. The game is fixed - it always has been - and always will be.

Money doesn't care who you are, what color you are, whether you’re a straight or not, what your politics are, and it certainly doesn't give a rats ass what the pundits on CNBC have to say. And neither should you.

+1 Amen to your remarks about Cramer...I was very surprised that the OP mentioned Cramer as a voice to be listened to and to believe what that clown says...I was just about to reply when I encountered your post...

plus I venture to state that the dramatic decline of stock values is 80% due to people selling out of fear and their willingness to take a loss rather than riding it out and retaining the value of the investment.

Alfredo

I venture to state that the dramatic decline of stock values is 80% due to people selling out of fear and their willingness to take a loss rather than riding it out and retaining the value of the investment

I agree totally with this comment. I have not sold any of my stocks and actually bought some Harley stock and Alcoa in the last 2 weeks because its dirt cheap these days.

Mick

OFace. Dude, I don't know if I should congratulate you or give you my sympathies! :) That's awesome you were able to hang in there that long. After two years I was emotionally and mentally burned out.

I wanted to put a caveat to what I said about cnbc/journalist but didn't. So my bad. I agree with you. Yes, I don't trust what is being said on CNBC or MSNBC or CNN, et al. When I want to get the general feel of the market I will listen to only a select few on CNBC. But, I do NOT take their trading advice. Jim Cramer has a way of bluntly telling it like it is which I like. But I don't trust his trading & investing advice. Does that make sense?

I don't like the people on Squawk Box - bunch of morons. When I come home from work I listen to the select 2-3 people for 15 mins and that's it. If I want details, facts, etc then I stay away from the large news companies. Their reporting is late, usually misguided, and full of bias. I don't mean to sound contradictory. It's like when I go bike riding I'll go outside and feel the temp. But then I go to specific weather radar and forecasts online to get the details.

Your statement that "the game is fixed" is SOOOOO true dude. I agree 200%. This is why I like to trade and not invest. I take my small gain and get out. The reason why people don't understand the market, as already admitted by some here, is that they are trying to put REASONING into it. You can't. Greed & fear - it's that simple. Big money controls the action.

Hey Eagle-I learned a new definition of financial liquidity today. It's when you look at your retirement fund and pee your pants.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanted to put a caveat to what I said about cnbc/journalist but didn't. So my bad. I agree with you. Yes, I don't trust what is being said on CNBC or MSNBC or CNN, et al. When I want to get the general feel of the market I will listen to only a select few on CNBC. But, I do NOT take their trading advice. Jim Cramer has a way of bluntly telling it like it is which I like. But I don't trust his trading & investing advice. Does that make sense?
Did I forget to say I listen to CNBC all the time... whoops. I do. But then again I'm the nut who yells at the TV all by himself.

For anybody who cares: Calculated Risk is a very informative site. The guy knows what he is talking about. I don't always agree but he's nobodys fool.

If you want to know about Housing and WTF happened there, this is the guy only I ever heard warn people years ago. Read this, The Great Housing Bubble. He writes a blog here: Irvine Housing Blog

There is also a book written in the 50's I think, called "The Richest Man in Babylon" it should be required reading in grammer school. Too bad I only discovered ot a few years ago.

Oh yeah I just remembered something...

It's always darkest just before the dawn...

That or I banged your sister I can't remember which...