Mars Spectacular!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatNakedGuy

Reaction score
MARS SPECTACULAR!

The Red Planet is about to be spectacular! Earth is catching up with

Mars in an encounter that will culminate in the closest approach between

the two planets in recorded history. The next time Mars may come this

close is in 2287. Due to the way Jupiter's gravity tugs on Mars and

perturbs its orbit, astronomers can only be certain that Mars has not come

this close to Earth in the last 5,000 years, but it may be as long as

60,000 years before it happens again.

Mars will look as large as the full moon to the naked eye. Mars will be

easy to spot. At the beginning of August it will rise in the east at

10p.m. and reach its azimuth at about 3 a.m. The encounter will culminate

on August 27th when Mars comes to within 34,649,589 miles of Earth and will

be (next to the moon) the brightest obje! ct! in the night sky. It will

attain a magnitude of -2.9 and will appear 25.11 arc seconds wide. At a

modest 75-power magnification.

By the end of August when the two planets are closest, Mars will rise at

nightfall and reach its highest point in the sky at 12:30a.m. That's

pretty convenient to see something that no human being has seen in recorded

history. So, mark your calendar at the beginning of August to see Mars

grow progressively brighter and brighter throughout the month.

Share this with your children and grandchildren. NO ONE ALIVE TODAY

WILL EVER SEE THIS AGAIN

Now where did I put my Acme® Z-27 Space Modulator?

uploaded_Marv1.jpg

You do those brake lines yet?

Hmmm, that is just the way Mars did it in 2003, same dates and all. Is it doing it again? :huh:

Watched the last close encounter from University of New Hampshire's observatory.

Alan

Hmmm, that is just the way Mars did it in 2003, same dates and all. Is it doing it again? :huh:
Watched the last close encounter from University of New Hampshire's observatory.

Alan
Interesting. I thought that wasn't supposed to happen except for something like once every 75 years or something like that (closest distance between the 2 orbits).

I saw the 2003 event from the middle of the desert between Primm, NV and Kingman, AZ.

saw the 2003 event from the middle of the desert between Primm, NV and Kingman, AZ
Nice Big Sky country! Spent some nights in the fire tower that looks down over Williams, AZ, at >7k feet it is above almost all ambient light and a good portion of the lower atmosphere. Where'd all them starz come from and why don't I see them in NH?

Now where did I put my Acme® Z-27 Space Modulator?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Alan

Last edited by a moderator:
Confirmed that Mars' closest approach to earth in modern times occurred in August 2003, when Mars and Earth were 34 million miles apart. This year, the closest they will get to each other is 43 million miles on October 31st.

Here is info about the recycled email: Mars email recycle

Confirmed that Mars' closest approach to earth in modern times occurred in August 2003, when Mars and Earth were 34 million miles apart. This year, the closest they will get to each other is 43 million miles on October 31st.
Here is info about the recycled email: Mars email recycle
I AM GOING TO KICK THAT BITCH'S ASS FOR SENING ME THAT CRAP!!!!!!!! haha

sorry guys

Bummer :erm:

I wanted to see Mars as large as the full moon. You could probly see the martians walkin' around on there from that close.

Bummer :erm:
I wanted to see Mars as large as the full moon. You could probly see the martians walkin' around on there from that close.
Yes, but they are too stupid to do microbiological research before they invade us, so we shouldn't be scared of them. Even though their technology well surpasses ours, they are too stupid to consider illness as an issue when taking over another planet. Heck...we earthlings put our first astronauts that visited the moon into a chamber for three days of tests to make sure they didn't bring home some kind of incurable illness! We are so much smarter than aliens!

Sorry...just a rant about how stupid the War of the Worlds movie's ending was. I know this has nothing to do with the original post...