Max loading for GIVI top boxes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
The factory says not to load more than 13 lbs. in these pups. Is that for real? Any experience loading more? Engineering perspectives? What I want to put in it easily weighs 25 or 30. Urgggh.

I carried a ~40lb car battery in my v46 for 10 miles. Box and battery were still there when I got home. Made wheelies even easier. :eek:

Yes, I read that as well in the instructions...I've packed in 20-25 lbs. before in my V46 numerous times with no issues. Ridden with it that way solo, 2 up, and at *ahem* nominal FJR speeds with no problems thus far. I have kept an eye out for mount fatigue/cracks/etc; nothing to report. The case mounts/dismounts the same (empty or with load) leading me to believe there is no flexion/distortion going on. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I would venture to say that is a disclaimer by GIVI to avoid stability problems/lawsuits they perceive might exist if overloaded. Anyone know what Yamaha says is limit on rack? I'm sure it's low also.

I carry my loaded backpack with laptop everyday I ride to work. no problems with handling.
+1 and my bag can weight a ton...

I'm sure I've had up to 20lbs in my top box many times... :glare:

Last edited by a moderator:
I carry my loaded backpack with laptop everyday I ride to work. no problems with handling.
+1 and my bag can weight a ton...

I'm sure I've had up to 20lbs in my top box many times... :glare:
I have been looking at the GIVI trunks and somewhere I saw a 22 LB load limit for the MonoKey and less for the MonoLock. It appears that the MonoLock models are made a little less heavy duty. A friend has a MonoLock E450 mounted to a ST1300 rack and it shakes a little at road speed.

Bob

So how much does 3 six packs (bottles), 1 Cuervo, 1 Bushmills, 10lb bag of ice, and my weather gear weigh? The Maxia handles it well.

The factory says not to load more than 13 lbs. in these pups. Is that for real? Any experience loading more? Engineering perspectives? What I want to put in it easily weighs 25 or 30. Urgggh.
That's the lawyers and engineers putting their heads together to be "safe" and minimize risk and liability. Load it up until you're comfortable, as long as you're not packing gold or lead bars in it, you'll be fine. With regularly packed items in it, you'll affect the bike's handling before you'll worry about breaking anything, methinks.

Out to WFO mine was so heavy I got tired carrying it into the hotel room every night. Clothes, gear, laptop, everything I couldn't fit into the side bags or the camping duffel.

No problems going out or back. YMMV, etc etc.

Guys, remember that Yamaha warns not to run with a top box and side bags at the same time to avoid overloading- yeah right, I have run my FJR with at least 25 lbs in all 3 bags and never had a problem. I guess you might have a problem if you were a 300 lb guy...or maybe not. I ride two up frequently with combined weight of 320 lbs and there is no problem with the FJR handling the weight- its just important that you try t keep the most weight possiible low in the side bags and balanced.

By the way, I have gone up to 140 mph with all three bags on and loaded and didn't notice any weird hanlding of the FJR or the bags wobbling.

When I load my laptop and school books in my V46, which is easily 15 lbs, it turns my blue bullet into a wheelie machine.