Maximum speed for original top box w/o passenger?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perus

Reaction score
Hi!

The previous owner told me that there is a speed limit (max 65mph?) when riding without passenger with the original Yamaha top box mounted, has anyone heard of this?

I'm going for a longer ride this weekend and don't want to miss all that space :unsure:

Br,

Per

Hi!
The previous owner told me that there is a speed limit (max 65mph?) when riding without passenger with the original Yamaha top box mounted, has anyone heard of this?

I'm going for a longer ride this weekend and don't want to miss all that space :unsure:
havent heard of it 'Down Under' but then again I havent read the owners manual word for word either . There where some issues with early top boxes but a revised mount on later models has apperntly fixed it ( I Hope).

Mine has seen well above that speed and is still attached. :rolleyes:

I don't think the speed hurts the box it hurts. The stabality of the bike my fjr handles poorly with the top box and no passanger in the higher speeds.

I suspect there is probably some legal-ese about how fast you can go with it attached.

probably same paragraph that says you shouldn't have the side cases + top box attached at the same time..... :blink:

If you open your top box a warning sticker is under the lid. States 120kph/80mph. Definitely legal eagle stuff. I usually cruise at or above that area and I am still here( and so is the box). It is a smoother ride without the box but I have heard of 130+mph with a top box, but thats just a rumor. :unsure:

Thank you all,
Mine got a revised mount so I'll go for it

(With a little bit of caution of course :rolleyes: )

/Per
Just be aware that cross wind affects the bike more with the top case installed. AND there is the possibility the bike may have a bit of weave at close to "sonic" speeds caused by the vortex created between the rider and the top case. When on long trips with all the luggage installed I used to put a tail bag on the pillion seat that would block any wind currents between me and the top case, but I've never had an issue.

I can personally attest to the characteristics of the OEM Yami top box, on both Gen-I and Gen-II designs, at speeds from 0-152 mph. (On a closed course of course. ;) :rolleyes: )

It's a aerodynamically ugly beast in a solo config at anything over 100 mph. It has very little to do with the design or lines of the box, mostly it's because of the downforce and drag on the box itself.

You should be able to burst into triple digits without much problem, but there's no way I would plan to ride there for very long. You will definitely feel the presence of the box in the form of "wiggle" at anything approaching open highway speeds.

Just fit a 5'6" pillion to the back seat and it all smoothes out.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: I’m going for a medium long ride (apprx 700miles over a couple of days - is that long for you over there?) so based on the experience of you guys I realize that something smart should be placed on the back seat to prevent strange things from happening.

Thanks again,

Per

It seems that I remember some of the PNW guys talking about 150 plus on the way to NAFO. I didn't think that there was a closed course in that part of Colorado but I must have missed it. :D