Maybe I'm Getting Paranoid

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muleskinner

Reaction score
I just installed my Freeway Blaster horns the other day and had a blown fuse that took a little while, and some help from forum members to identify and fix the problem.

Well maybe I'm just worried over nothing, but I took the wife for a short ride tonight and as I pulled into the garage, my bike smelled like it was getting a little warm. The ambient air was about 72 and I have about a half mile uphill before my driveway which becomes quite steep. At that point the temp gauge was reading about one half.

I let it idle in the garage for just a bit and the temp indicator went up another mark and the fans never came on. The gauge was showing a couple of marks above half way at that point. Does anyone here know at what point the fans normally kick on?

Also, with my messing around installing the fans and rooting around getting my windshield auto retract disconnected, could I have disconnected the wiring going to the fans? Anyone familiar with where the fan wires are located?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Well maybe I'm just worried over nothing, but I took the wife for a short ride tonight and as I pulled into the garage, my bike smelled like it was getting a little warm. The ambient air was about 72 and I have about a half mile uphill before my driveway which becomes quite steep. At that point the temp gauge was reading about one half.
I let it idle in the garage for just a bit and the temp indicator went up another mark and the fans never came on. The gauge was showing a couple of marks above half way at that point. Does anyone here know at what point the fans normally kick on?
Normal.

7 bars equates to 191-205 per the Bin O' Facts and doesn't necessarily trip the fan. Probably in the 8th segment around boiling point of water. Worried about the fans try getting to 9 bars as that's still in the warm to hot range.

First, did you in fact disconnect the right connector for the windshield auto-retract? Did you prove it out? Did you disconnect anything else in there?

I'm not a GenII owner so I can't say when the bars come one you have more bars on a GenII then I do on the GenI. Mine comes on in four or five bars, but I only have six total, I believe you have eight. What does your manaul say about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Go into the diAG mode, press SELECT until you are at Code 51, toggle the red Run/Stop button on the right handle bar Off then back ON. When the button is turned back to ON the radiator fan relay should energize and the fans run for 5 seconds. Toggling the Run/Stop button again will deliver another 5 seconds of run time. The fans are real amp eaters, be kind to your battery.

'beam,

Ya beat me to it.

diAG mode is your friend. Can tell you a LOT about your Feej.

Just can't straighten valves. <_<

"diAG mode" ......... does this require a code reader? If not, what is the process to enter it?

Never mind - I found it in the Bin-O-Facts.

Is there a list of codes available on the forum?

Thanks, Dave

Look here for codes 'n more.

Edited to add: Hmm, I suppose I should add the Gen II codes to this page.

Thanks to all of you....I'll check things out later today when I have some free time. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: