Maybe there really is something to that Strada "E"!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangerous Dave

The older I get, the faster I was...
Reaction score
Ok, so I bought a Diablo Strada rear (not the FJR specific "E" spec) while they were having the free front tire promo. I scoffed at those who said the FJR is supposed to get a special "E" spec tire...perhaps I should have listened. My Strada rear has been on the bike now for a total of maybe 3k miles, probably a tad less. I'm one of those who will always take the twistiest route possible when on the bike. My initial impresssions with the Strada were good, other than I find it to be more sensitive to tar strips than any tire I've ridden on, wet or dry. Tire wear has been nice and even around the tread until now. The wife and I just did a 900 mile highway drone from Ohio to Florida and the tire is REALLY flat down the middle now! Running your hand around the tread you can feel how squared off it is. I checked the pressure and it was within 1 psi of where I set it before leaving Ohio...that being 42 PSI...the max recommended for the FJR. The wife and I combined are under 350 lbs, and the luggage wasn't overloaded. So I'm at the in-laws house and fairly bored right now, so I called Pirelli and explained my concern with the tire wear at such low mileage. Of course, the first question out of the guy's mouth was "is it the "E" spec or the standard Diablo. You already know my answer. He says the standard Diablo just can't stand up to the weight and torque of the FJR, hence the "E" spec tire. Ok...lesson learned. We'll be taking the scenic route home next week out the Cherohala, through the Dragon, up to Cumberland Gap, and home. I guess I'll just have to hope that a little flogging through the Smokies will help reduce that flat-spot down the middle on the way home. I'm still just as happy with the ME-Z4 front as I was day one. That tire was on the bike when I bought it used, and I've put over 5k on it since. It'll probably be a throw-away by the time we get home, but that's ok...it will have earned it's keep, and I've got a brandy new Strada in the garage waiting to go on. Safe to say that if I do buy another Diablo Strada rear (a big question mark), it WON'T be the standard one. So if anyone finds themselves pondering the question of whether or not the "E" spec tire is worth the extra $$$, I'm gonna have to say 'probably so'. :(

MHO,

Good post. Interesting data. I now have ~6,200 on my 'E' and it's about done... but it's been run hard and fast in HOT weather and loaded down. I'd say give the 'E' a try on the next go round.. if nothing else I'd like your opinion on it..

I have about 5,000 on my E and still looks good to double that, so I'm very happy with the performance and wear of the Stratas, I know I'll get the same tire next time.

Almost 7K on my set of "E"'s and they should be good for another 4 or 5K. They were run long, hard and fast to WFO and back and have held up very well. Probably will buy another set when they are toast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost 7K on my set of "E"'s and they should be good for another 4 or 5K. They were run long, hard and fast to WFO and back and have held up very well. Probably will buy another set when they are toast.
7k? Damn, that's good. I must weigh more than you... :D

I have to second the Strada's mileage smilie. Tad over 9000 miles and still plenty of tread. Shape holding up well front and rear though both beginning to flatten through the middles over the last few weeks.

I got the E spec rear and free front.

Looking to get another several thousand out of these unless the wear accelerates something terrific at some point.

My best wearing and looking tire so far but as others mentioned a little squirrely over tar snakes and not as confident inspiring in turns as other brands I've had. Turn in seems to take much less effort than any others but stability holding a line suffers by the same token.

I have a little over 3100 on my rear Strada "E". Still looks pretty much like new, but that tread design is deceiving. At 5k, my rear "B" spec Metz (same tread design) gave out within 250 miles. Before that, it looked like it woud go another 1000 or so.

Be careful, Dave. Keep an eye on it.

I have a little over 3100 on my rear Strada "E". Still looks pretty much like new, but that tread design is deceiving. At 5k, my rear "B" spec Metz (same tread design) gave out within 250 miles. Before that, it looked like it woud go another 1000 or so.Be careful, Dave. Keep an eye on it.
Me too on the careful part.. I know it's about toast and the new one is being shipped as I type.. I'm very curious to see how the E responds at end of life as compared to the Z6.. which was miserable. I got off work early today, took the long way home... 100 miles of twisties :D and it is still is ok.. no cords yet.. It seemed like the original z6 went to the cords within a very quick 100 miles.. interested to see how long the E lasts...

Michelin...bad, very bad. No Michelin's on bikes I own. Bad experience with Michelin tread deciding to flee the carcass it was supposedly vulcanized to on my Venture while I was on it at speed. 2 others I know had the same problem. No more Michelins.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll be watching them alright. I'm actually watching the front more than the rear. I figured it would JUST survive this trip and be ready for the trash pile when I got home. I'm not concerned about a failure of the rear Diablo, just shocked at how much it flattened out in 900 highway miles. Hoping to even it out a bit on the Cherohala and the Dragon...wife permitting. :D

Well, I don't know how you guys are getting the big miles on the "E" spec diablo strada. Remember, I get big miles on my rear Avons - generally 11-14k, but I was showing metal belts on my rear "E" spec after 3700 miles. Granted, that was my White Pine Fever tire and was run really, really, hard, but I was disappointed.

I will also say that there is no warning when the tire is about to go (as in metal belts showing), so be careful.

I recently bought another "E" spec and will give it one more try. I still think I prefer the handling characteristics of the Avons.

Love them Avons. Because of the front for free, ok $25 for shipping, on the Perelli Corsa III, I decided to give them a try. $175 mounted and balanced.

I have about 5,000 on my E and still looks good to double that, so I'm very happy with the performance and wear of the Stratas, I know I'll get the same tire next time.
2247302-plus1.gif
Mine's at 4000+, and it looks like it'll go quite a ways further. My last (regular) Strada was done at 4000.

:) mine are a little over 4000 as well and still look new to me, but I can not say I am the greatest at looking over them. The best thing was that as soon as I put them on the wobble of the front end went away.

If I get over 10000 I'll be happy with them.

I have a little over 3100 on my rear Strada "E". Still looks pretty much like new, but that tread design is deceiving. At 5k, my rear "B" spec Metz (same tread design) gave out within 250 miles. Before that, it looked like it woud go another 1000 or so.Be careful, Dave. Keep an eye on it.
Same scenario as on my non "E" spec Pirelli Diablo Strada. The E's weren't available when I mounted this one up, so hopefully this won't happen to them. Like Randy, I had checked my rear tire at about 250-300 mi. before the photo below was taken, and all looked well. Imagine my suprise when I was unloading the bike and caught a glimpse of what is shown below. I'm sure the E spec tires are better, but I went back to my tried and true Michelin Pilot Roads. I may give the Strada's another chance in the future as I really liked the way they performed, but right now I'm playin' it safe with what I know works. Forgot to mention mileage was 5600 mi. I normally average about 7500mi. on a rear tire and never approach the severity of wear shown on the Pirelli.

Pirelli_2.jpg

I have a little over 3100 on my rear Strada "E". Still looks pretty much like new, but that tread design is deceiving. At 5k, my rear "B" spec Metz (same tread design) gave out within 250 miles. Before that, it looked like it woud go another 1000 or so.

Be careful, Dave. Keep an eye on it.
Same scenario as on my non "E" spec Pirelli Diablo Strada. The E's weren't available when I mounted this one up, so hopefully this won't happen to them. Like Randy, I had checked my rear tire at about 250-300 mi. before the photo below was taken, and all looked well. Imagine my suprise when I was unloading the bike and caught a glimpse of what is shown below. I'm sure the E spec tires are better, but I went back to my tried and true Michelin Pilot Roads. I may give the Strada's another chance in the future as I really liked the way they performed, but right now I'm playin' it safe with what I know works. Forgot to mention mileage was 5600 mi. I normally average about 7500mi. on a rear tire and never approach the severity of wear shown on the Pirelli.

Pirelli_2.jpg
I recently took off on a 3000mi trip with 2500mi on my Dunlop 220's, 2750mi's into the trip I rode thru the cords till the tire went flat, 250mis's before the flat the cords were not showing. what a surprise. I guess I can't expect to get the same tire mileage on the FJR as I did on my VFR Honda. danvforce

I put the non E spec Diablo Strada on my FJR before the E rear was available. I have 3,200 miles on it and it is just now starting to flatten out in the center. I've got a 3,000 mile trip coming up in a week and a half. These reports kind of make me wonder if it will make it. It barely looks worn. I really don't want to replace it before I leave.

GP :unsure:

As of today, just about 5k on it. Looks just like it did at 3100. The Metz was showing a flat center when the cords started showing through at 5k.

I've been riding it REAL hard lately too. I think Pirelli got it right this time.