Maybe there really is something to that Strada "E"!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put the non E spec Diablo Strada on my FJR before the E rear was available. I have 3,200 miles on it and it is just now starting to flatten out in the center. I've got a 3,000 mile trip coming up in a week and a half. These reports kind of make me wonder if it will make it. It barely looks worn. I really don't want to replace it before I leave.
GP :unsure:
A week ago I'd a told you to go for it, but now I'm not so sure. Being that your going on a trip you'll probably be carrying a pretty good load of luggage. I had both the saddlebags full, and a small top box with light bulky stuff like overpants and my electric heated gear. Not overloaded by any means. I was running 40 PSI front, 43 PSI rear. I know it's a PITA, but you'd probably enjoy your trip more if you weren't worrying about your tire. By the way, the front tire looked fine and about what I've come to expect wear-wise for 5600 mi. Be careful and have a great ride!

5,000 miles on "E" Strada and not nearing the wear bars. Yes... there are wear bars on these tires!

Love the tires but did notice on a recent blast through B.C. that tires slipped/skipped a bit running hard over ctr. line stripes (slightly cutting corners on open visibility, non trafficed roads). It was much like hitting tar snakes. The roads were dry. :blink:

My 020's, Pilot Roads and Conti R.A.'s never did that but each had their own unique characteristics as well. Other than this quirk, I'm enjoying the handling and mileage so far.

I've got an E spec rear tire on mine with standard strada front. I just turned over 10k miles with mine but they are toast. No cords showing but in the next week it'll get replaced. I did another track day at Barber and did ride the FJR for a couple of sessions two up, and the tire still worked well. handling is good even though it is a bit worn. I might ride to work a day or two this week and see how long it takes to see cord. front tire still has plenty of tread. I got about 5k out of the OE Bt020's (front cupped bad, so I removed it), and about 4500 out of the diablo corsas. The roads around the SE are pretty smooth and I tend to get pretty good mileage out of my tires. on my R6 I was usually able to get 5-7k miles out of sport tires, even with a track day or two thrown in.

At the recent SFO I was talking to folks about the rear Z6 and how I had 3500 miles on it and it looked great. Sunday of the meeting was shocked at a gas stop to see cord and metal at 3600 miles. No warning with these tires. They are there and then gone. Trying the Pirelli E now. Hope it's better. Only get about 4500 from Avons on the rear.

Al