McCruise install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbacon

Reaction score
Just completed the install of a McCruise electronic cruise on my 07 FJR with mega help from my fellow FJR rider friend, Bob Price. It took us about seven hours to get the job done but we went slowly, carefully checking every step. I've heard it called, "plug and play" but that might be a slight over-simplification. The work involved installing the throttle cable, actuator and cable interface unit are more like surgery performed in very limited spaces. Even the special tools provided are unusual but they do work. The directions are very clear and precise--more like a cook book recipe you follow step by step. The diagrams are also most helpful in routing the various cables and cords. When we got the job done we were pretty confident as we started the diagnostic testing. However, we failed the first test. Somewhat disappointed, we read the next section which warned that LED brake lights would cause a problem with the actuator. Sure enough, the former owner had installed LED's. Once OEM bulbs were in place, we aced the diagnostic tests. Buttoned the bike up to launch the road test which went perfectly. After a couple minor tweeks, we were down the road. The thing works flawlessly, holding speed up and down hills, so I could not be happier. Because of some problems with my right wrist, the cruise was essential for continued use of the FJR--especially on long stretches of interstate. While a bit pricy, I am very satisfied with the product, the materials, directions and results. I hear that customer support is outstanding but we stumbled through without the need of help.

Great report. Thanks for your description of the process and the outcome.

I, too, have an McCruise unit on the FJR. It's an addiction for me; I couldn't ride without it any more.

The Guymer brothers are great at providing customer service on the McCruise.

Good on ya! ;)

I love mine too and would not ride without it now. I do have some slight problems holding speed on the downhill. I just have not got around to diagnosing the problem yet.

Happy trails.....

Just ordered mine yesterday.

I must say, I'm feeling anxious about installing it. I'm what I'd call semi-mechanically inclined but this will be my biggest project by far.

With all of the fantastic technical information available from this forum and a couple of others, I've managed to get pretty good at taking off & putting on all of the fairing parts as well as the gas tank.

Surprised myself when I actually was able to complete a throttle body sync with only a minor hissy fit, and even installed Magnum Blasters including a relay harness without blowing anything up.

It's encouraging to read your report - thanks! You can bet I'll be reading those directions front to back and back to front, many times.

BigChunk

Just ordered mine yesterday.

I must say, I'm feeling anxious about installing it. I'm what I'd call semi-mechanically inclined but this will be my biggest project by far.

With all of the fantastic technical information available from this forum and a couple of others, I've managed to get pretty good at taking off & putting on all of the fairing parts as well as the gas tank.

Surprised myself when I actually was able to complete a throttle body sync with only a minor hissy fit, and even installed Magnum Blasters including a relay harness without blowing anything up.

It's encouraging to read your report - thanks! You can bet I'll be reading those directions front to back and back to front, many times.

BigChunk
I can't stress enough, READ the directions completely, BEFORE you do anything else. Then start to take thing off the bike to install it. Take pictures as you go for reference. Take your time, and don't be surprised if it takes more than one day to install. You probably will run into some issues when you do the calibration. This is NORMAL. usually it is something like having the polarity reversed on the clutch switch or LED's installed in the brake lights and needing to install a resistor in parallel so it will sense correctly. McCruise's customer support is excellent.

EDIT: Just realized you are here in the PNW. If you need help or a place to install, you are welcome to come over to my house. I have the system on my bike so you can look at it too. I did install my actuator in a different location then MCC suggest. You may want to look at that as it leaves your under seat area completely open. Also see the PNW tech meet coming up April 12th at my house. (this is too much to do at the tech meet, but we can schedule it some other time). PNW Spring Tech Meet

Last edited by a moderator: