Memorial Day

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radman

R.I.P. Our Motorcycling Friend
Reaction score
Memorial Day is their day, isn't it? It is supposed to be the day a

grateful nation pauses to quietly thank the more than one million men

and women who have died in military service to their country since

the Revolutionary War.

Or is it the day the beach resorts kick into high gear for the summer

season, the day the strand is covered by fish-belly white people

basting themselves in coconut oil, the day the off-season rates end

and the weekend you can't get in a seaside seafood restaurant with

anything less than a one hour wait.

Or is it one of the biggest shopping center sales days of the year, a

day when hunting for a parking space is the prime sport for the

holiday stay-at-homers?

Or is it the weekend when more people will kill themselves on the

highways than any other weekend and Highway Patrol troopers work

overtime picking up the pieces?

I think the men and women who died for us would understand what we do

with their day. I hope they would, because if they wouldn't, if they

would have insisted that it be a somber, respectful day of

remembrance, then we have blown it and dishonored their sacrifice.

I knew some of those who died, and the guys I knew would have

understood.

They liked a sunny beach and a cold beer and a hot babe in a black

bikini, too. They would have enjoyed packing the kids, the

inflatable rafts, the coolers, and the suntan lotion in the car and

heading for the lake. They would have enjoyed staying at home and

cutting the grass and getting together with some friends and cooking

some steaks on the grill, too.

But they didn't get the chance. They blew up in the Marine Barracks

in Beirut and died in the oily waters of the Persian Gulf. They

caught theirs at the airstrip in Grenada in the little war everyone

laughed at. They bought the farm in the I Drang Valley and on

Heartbreak Ridge, Phu Tai and at Hue. They froze at the Chosin

Reservoir and were shot at the Pusan Perimeter. They drowned in the

surf at Omaha Beach or fell in the fetid jungles of Guadalcanal.

They died in the ice and snow of the Bulge and the Vosges Mountains.

They were at the Somme and at San Juan Hill and at Gettysburg and

at Cerro Gordo and at Valley Forge.

They couldn't be here with us this weekend, but I think they would

understand that we don't spend the day in tears and heart-wrenching

memorials. They wouldn't want that. Grief is not why they died.

They died so we could go fishing. They died so another father could

hold his laughing little girl over the waves. They died so another

father could toss a baseball to his son in their backyard while the

charcoal is getting white. They died so another buddy could drink a

beer on his day off. They died so a family could get in the station

wagon and go shopping and maybe get some ice cream on the way home.

They won't mind that we have chosen their day to have our first big

outdoor party of the year. But they wouldn't mind, either, if we

took just a second and thought about them.

Some will think of them formally, of course. Wreaths will be laid in

small, sparsely attended ceremonies in military cemeteries and at

monuments at state capitols and in small town's squares. Flags will

fly over the graves, patriotic words will be spoken and a few people

there will probably feel a little anger that no more people showed

up. They'll think no one else remembers.

But we do remember. We remember Smitty and Chico, and Davey and the

guys who died. We remember the deal we made: If we buy it, we said, drink a beer for me.

I'll do it for you, guys. I'll drink that beer for you today, and

I'll sit on that beach for you, and I'll check out the girls for you

and, just briefly, I'll think of you. I won't let your memory spoil

the trip but you'll be on that sunny beach with me today.

I will not mourn your deaths this Memorial Day, my friends. Rather,

I'll celebrate the life you gave me.

This Bud's for you, brother!

-Author Unknown-

From one vet to all you others-thank you. My flag hangs proudly for those I (we) left behind. Especially you, Papa D.

flag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No Shit, I had just proposed and drank a toast with my fiancee to "those whom had given the ultimate sacrifice for our country so we could live the life we live"...then I read your post and you have me in tears you son of a bitch (I mean that in a good way, but the tears are real) :D ...Had just told Penny (my fiancee) how I've been having sentimental type feelings regarding those that have given their all, and those who are presently doing the same every day. I guess I'm just a patriotic sentimental sap, but if so, so be it!

God speed...

Toophast

Rad,

I couldn't agree with you more. That was a beautiful post and one that I hope more of our fellow riders will read and heed.

Two of my children served in the Marines, my Dad was a corpsman, my beautiful wife's dad is a master gunnery retired, Marines that is one of the "frozen Chosin" and I am humbled by their service to our country and their selfless sacrifices to keep us free.

I will remember them tomorrow and everyday that I breathe.

God Bless Our Men and Women in uniform, and forgive our leaders who know not the sacrifice, for they live in golden palaces.

dfp :(

Monday morning I'll be heading to a local cemetary to see the annual display of 1000 flags. I'll bring back some pics. I hope it's breezy, they look so much better waving all at once. Coincidentally, my friend and firefighting brother Kirk lays at rest there, so I'll have some business to attend to as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Radman,

God bless you for posting that!! Moved me to tears! Although I personally didn't have

the opportunity to serve due to certain issues that shall remain nameless, I appreciate

and thank God for each and every man and woman who serves currently,and I honor

those who have gone before to allow me to have the freedom I enjoy.

My Dad served in World War II and Korea in the Navy.

My step-son did a tour in the Marine Corps, including a tour in Iraq...wife (her son) and

I are extremely grateful he made it home.

I flew my flag today, and will fly again tomorrow and Monday.

I can't get up to Oregon (I'm in NorCal) to get to my Dad's gravesite (buried in a Veteran's

cemetery in Eagle Point, OR), but I certainly appreciate the fact that he served.

Obviously I don't post much, but I've gotta tip my hat to Rad, and say thanks. You really hit it on the head.

The best way to honor vets is to live unselfishly, and well. And remember that what we enjoy, was bought for a price that somebody else had to pay. When I came home on leave last month, we were met by people at the airport who said "Thank You" . Back in '74 I got spit on. Right now my job is basically IED bait, but, if I were home, I'd step away from this desk, grab the wife, and go ride my bike.

The Medevac birds go directly over my little office daily....

Scott

Monday morning I'll be heading to a local cemetary to see the annual display of 1000 flags. I'll bring back some pics. I hope it's breezy, they look so much better waving all at once. Coincidentally, my friend and firefighting brother Kirk lays at rest there, so I'll have some business to attend to as well.

TC, Please tell all of them "Thank You". They are not forgotten. And this includes Kirk.

God Bless.

Right now my job is basically IED bait, but, if I were home, I'd step away from this desk, grab the wife, and go ride my bike.
Scott,

Thank you for being there and doing your best. Let your mates all know we all appreciate what they're doing as well. There won't be any spitting this time around, at least none that won't be soon followed by some clobbering.

It looks as if we may get to ride the bike to the cemetary tomorrow morning. We'll have you in our thoughts and prayers. Coincidentally, it's also Eve's birthday tomorrow.

Obviously I don't post much, but I've gotta tip my hat to Rad, and say thanks. You really hit it on the head.
The best way to honor vets is to live unselfishly, and well. And remember that what we enjoy, was bought for a price that somebody else had to pay. When I came home on leave last month, we were met by people at the airport who said "Thank You" . Back in '74 I got spit on. Right now my job is basically IED bait, but, if I were home, I'd step away from this desk, grab the wife, and go ride my bike.

Scott
Hey Rad, thanks for the post.

Hey IAG/Scott, THANKS for your service to us. Get home safely and bring home your buddies, too.

My boys will march in their jr high and high school marching bands tommorrow on the way to Wheaton cemetery...believe me they hear from me WHY they are marching...

They are respectful and already knew though...

Thanks for the very moving post Rad... I'd almost forgotten how those guys, and gals, would have felt about life going on.

:jester:

Rad, great post. You hit it right on the head. I retired after 23 years in the Corp and the Army and the goal has always been to let Americans continue to lead the lifes I would like to when I retired. But it is also important to never forget the ones that payed the ultimate sacrifice. I rode in Rolling Thunder today in DC and the amount of people that turned out was amazing. The kids and people were giving us high fives as we drove by. I did not see a single negative sign or poster. Rad, thanks again for keeping us in the right perspective.

God bless the warriors and the support troops. THEY keep the rest of us free to expound on the ideals and discuss our differences.

B) Thanks Radman. God bless the Veterans. Pray for our Service men in harms way.

God Bless America. Pray for our leaders may they do whats best for Americans.

Thanks, Again. Dan in Yucaipa.