Michelin Pilot Road 2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I wear out what is on (or waiting to be installed on) my XX and my FJR, I WILL be trying a pair of these! Somwone in Europe or Canada reproted that they have a profile more like the Pilot Power, as well -- IF that's true, they sure sound like what I've been looking for.

just got my copy of MotorCyclist and sure enough there is a road test for this tires. One complain is that when exiting corners under hard acceleration you might get a small spin. I loved that feeling on my old FZ1 while on Pilot Powers. Hmm, maybe it is a good thing that I did not ordered a new 021 yet. This sure looks like more suited tire for me.

I have that Pilot Road 2 2 CT front tyre in my´06 FJR. Great tyre, the bike is very easy to handle and the grip is unbeatable in wet conditions. I had Metzeler Z6´s before, but this is better tyre,IMO...Btw. these tyres have won 2 tests in Europe. Latest win was in this months Finnish Bike magazine. There was all the brand tyres in the tests and Michelin was the best.

Here are the final results:

1. Michelin Pilot Road 2 2CT, 284 pts

2. Metzeler Z6, 280 pts

3. Pirelli Diablo Strada, 279 pts

4. Bridgestone Battlax BT 021, 266 pts

5. Continental Road Attack, 260 pts

6. Dunlop Sportmax D 220 ST, 242 pts

7. Avon Storm-ST, 218 pts

Last edited by a moderator:
Latest win was in this months Finnish Bike magazine. There was all the brand tyres in the tests and Michelin was the best.
Here are the final results:

1. Michelin Pilot Road 2 2CT, 284 pts

2. Metzeler Z6, 280 pts

3. Pirelli Diablo Strada, 279 pts

4. Bridgestone Battlax BT 021, 266 pts

5. Continental Road Attack, 260 pts

6. Dunlop Sportmax D 220 ST, 242 pts

7. Avon Storm-ST, 218 pts
Shyeah..... remind me not to ever take Finnish bike magazines seriously.....

The Storm in last place? The Dunlop D220 below the Conti Heart Attack tires? :blink:

Riiiiiiight......

And another test where Michelin won is in Motorrad 11/2007...Avon Storms were the last in that test, too...

And here is the link to another "independent" test...winner there is also Michelin...

Clicky

Anyone know for certain if the PR2s are available anywhere in the US?

Not available from SWMoto or Parts Unlimited as of this morning.

Thanks,

dougc

Anyone know for certain if the PR2s are available anywhere in the US?
Not available from SWMoto or Parts Unlimited as of this morning.

Thanks,

dougc
Still not here, Doug. I'm parking the FJR for longer rides to stretch the life of these Storms until the Road2's hit.

Still not here, Doug. I'm parking the FJR for longer rides to stretch the life of these Storms until the Road2's hit.
Thanks, appreciate the input. Gonna have to choose the old Roads or try the Storms for the IBR. Decisions, decisions... :blink:

dougc

Thanks, appreciate the input. Gonna have to choose the old Roads or try the Storms for the IBR. Decisions, decisions... :blink:

dougc
If those are your choices: OLD ROADS!!!!!! You ain't gonna get the life outta of the rear Storm you need. At 4K, my WFO storm is about shot. 9k on the front, tho. I averaged 7.5k on the old Roads.

If those are your choices: OLD ROADS!!!!!! You ain't gonna get the life outta of the rear Storm you need. At 4K, my WFO storm is about shot. 9k on the front, tho. I averaged 7.5k on the old Roads.
I'm leaning that way but think I could get away with the Storms. Plan on starting with new tire on a loaner wheel and putting my wheel with new tire back on at the first check.

I generally get better tire mileage than most. 9-10K miles on Roads. If I can squeeze 5K miles out of a Storm rear I should be good.

dougc

I just called Michelin direct and was told that tires should be on sale front Aug 27th and rear Sep 3rd. Unless they get detained by customs. So, who do we know in customs?

Count me in the interested column. My Mickey Roads have turned out to be not all that bad a tire, though I'm not getting the life I did with the Azaros.

Count me in the interested column. My Mickey Roads have turned out to be not all that bad a tire, though I'm not getting the life I did with the Azaros.
Wicking up the candle a bit more these days? ;) Funny, though... I got more from the Roads v. Azaros. Go figger.

Pirelli Diablo Strada....ya big babies!
The thing that bugs me about that tire is no overlapping rain grooves across the center. Now, not that I can ride that much in the rain, but I would think that makes things a bit sloppy, no? The Storms were dead stable in the one major downpour we encountered last week and I gotta think that full width grooves helped here.

Thuggy, what's be your experience in the rain with the Stradas?

Pirelli Diablo Strada....ya big babies!
The thing that bugs me about that tire is no overlapping rain grooves across the center. Now, not that I can ride that much in the rain, but I would think that makes things a bit sloppy, no? The Storms were dead stable in the one major downpour we encountered last week and I gotta think that full width grooves helped here.

Thuggy, what's be your experience in the rain with the Stradas?

It be very good! me old Nut! I've had to ride through some very heavy down pours and a day of steady rain with sheets of thin water covering uneven road and I can tell you I felt very safe at 130 to 150 KPH (didn't want to go too fast after all it was wet)....No twitch felt like it was on rails I cannot praise them enough really....You won't be disapointed mate..These new mitchies sound really good from the blub and my distrib but the PDS are the best I have tried so far.

I am running the Road2 Tires right now. I go them at Cyclegear. I REALLY like this tire. Previously, the last 3 sets of tires have been the powers on my bike. Its gets expensive to replace them

I took the road2's out yesterday (see Alpine Loop Ride Report) and after taking pics, I pushed them a bit.. They did an awesome job!! I hope they last longer than the powers did... Bean Jar is not happy with the powers.

Our CycleGear just got them as well, and I'll be getting them in the next week or two. A bit pricey, but the old Pilot Roads were my preferred tire, so we'll see.