micro usb to sae connector

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could always buy a spare car charger, cut the end off and solder on a SAE plug? I don't know if the droid charges off of direct 12v though, may want to check that before you plug it in and fry it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have one of these wired into my FJR. I just carry a USB to miniUSB cable to charge my Droid while riding.

There's a gal on another riding forum that I frequent that bought a load of these and is selling them off. I think it was $19 inc shipping. They're already stepped down to the proper DC voltage for charging a phone or a GoPro camera.

I just zipped mine into the loom that comes up the left handlebar and you'd never know it was there. They're weatherproof when capped.

If you need contact info, ping me.

two.jpg

This is what you're trying to do, I assume...

You could always buy a spare car charger, cut the end off and solder on a SAE plug? I don't know if the droid charges off of direct 12v though, may want to check that before you plug it in and fry it.
Whoa! I didn't think about that, thanks! Guess I'll just order an sae to cig lighter outlet and use the the car charger or the usb cable that came with the phone. I just thought the micro usb to sae would be a cleaner , simpler install.

I have one of these wired into my FJR. I just carry a USB to miniUSB cable to charge my Droid while riding.

There's a gal on another riding forum that I frequent that bought a load of these and is selling them off. I think it was $19 inc shipping. They're already stepped down to the proper DC voltage for charging a phone or a GoPro camera.

I just zipped mine into the loom that comes up the left handlebar and you'd never know it was there. They're weatherproof when capped.

If you need contact info, ping me.

two.jpg

This is what you're trying to do, I assume...

Actually, I wanted to have a really short micro usb to sae cable cause I have my battery tender lead stuck in the frame behind the steering head and the Droid mounted on the left side clutch perch with a Ram mount. I didn't htink about having to step down the power though. Good thing I didn't find what I was looking for or I might have killed my phone! Thanks for the link, but I think I'll just get a cig lighter adapter and use the car charger.

ON the wife's SV I did it a little differently. I got the cig lighter charger, took out the guts (IC board) and put it into the smallest hobby box I could find. Then I soldered on positive and negative wires where the IC board would have gotten 12V from the cig lighter, and ran these to the battery (in your case these would go to SAE).

So from the box are two wires: 1) MicroUSB to the phone and 2) wires to the battery. The IC board in the box steps it down to 5V.

Yeah, USB is only 5 volts. More to this than the connector. Cig lighter chargers aren't just connectors, they are 12V in - 5V out.

Like Aasland says, as long as you've got one of those chargers, just put its guts somewhere and use the right connectors for it, you'll be golden.

You can buy a 12vdc to 5vdc dc regulator for a couple of bucks from Radio Shack to get the proper stepdown voltage. I also sourced a panel mount usb, but I like that little unit that Tree Doc posted up since it's already made up and it costs the same as building it.

The '06 is a GenII so you have the 12V port in the glove box. Just get a cig/usb converter (low profile by belkin), then you can use a usb cable (thin) directly out of the box. Thats how I powered my gps.

Powerlet has all kinds of adaptor cables and not all of them utilize a powerlet plug.

Here is SAE to cigarette lighter. My link

Here is all of their cables My link , let the brainstorming begin.

After careful consideration, I decided to get one of the usb cables Treedoc posted(thanks!) and use a really short usb to micro usb adaptor I all ready have from a cell phone charging kit I bought years ago. All I need now is an sae pigtail and it's done. I can use this for the Gopro too. Now...where am I going to mount that 19" lcd tv...j/k!

The '06 is a GenII so you have the 12V port in the glove box. Just get a cig/usb converter (low profile by belkin), then you can use a usb cable (thin) directly out of the box. Thats how I powered my gps.
I thought about that, but didn't want to mod the lid so I could shut it with the cable running out. Plus, that outlet is only powered with the key on, which isn't that big a deal, I just prefer it to be always on. That way I can do a qiuck stop and fiddle with the phone/gps and not leave the ignition switched on. My Garmin will run off this too and it has no battery.

I thought about that, but didn't want to mod the lid so I could shut it with the cable running out. Plus, that outlet is only powered with the key on, which isn't that big a deal, I just prefer it to be always on. That way I can do a qiuck stop and fiddle with the phone/gps and not leave the ignition switched on. My Garmin will run off this too and it has no battery.

That's why I had to use a thin wire, no lid mod needed. I close the lid with the wire for my gps and a thin wire (phone cord) for my Valentine. However, if the power off is an issue, you would need an always on solution.

the trick is that you probably have to step down the amps and volts to something that won't overload the device you're wanting to charge. with a tablet (like an HP Touchpad or iPad) that's 2amps max.

[Powerlet will also build just about anything you can imagine for you, just ask'em
I installed a powerlet outlet under the cig outlet in the glove box because it sucks when the cig adapter comes undone while underway. I just put in a request to powerlet for an AAC-006 that is a powerlet adapter instead of a cig adapter, with usb outlets on it.

I got a couple of these cheap on flea-bay, they work well and the adapter is tight in the cig outlet that I installed on my Tuono, no worries of that vibrating out. Gives you a second USB outlet which comes in handy.

31zOkygtluL._SS500_.jpg