micro usb to sae connector

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a couple of these cheap on flea-bay, they work well and the adapter is tight in the cig outlet that I installed on my Tuono, no worries of that vibrating out. Gives you a second USB outlet which comes in handy.

31zOkygtluL._SS500_.jpg
I have one like this that would wiggle out of contact so I made it tighter with a little safety tape, but I would prefer a powerlet plug if it were available just because of the way it locks into place.

As I was writing this I got an email from powerlet:

"We've got a Powerlet to USB in development right now. I've got a prototype in my hand that I need to start tests on. Production will soon follow, but don't hold your breath."

I told him I'll be a beta tester.

I've got the griffin above. Use it in the cars mostly, used it in the standard cig socket on the FJR and ran both my ipod and my android phone off of it during my SS1K. Worked perfectly, except for having to pinch my cables. Hence my interest in this thread.

I ended up going to the auto parts store and buying a generic cigarette lighter receptacle and wired that into my fuzeblock. Then ran the wires so I had enough room to stash it somewhere under the seat. Plug in the cigarette lighter usb adapter and run the cable out from under my seat, works great. Cost about $5.00 for the receptacle.

I used 2.1 mm 12-volt coax connectors from the Fuzeblock The coax are very secure and won't come apart from vibration, and can't reverse polarity. They make a nice small connector for things like the radio battery saver and GPS I sometimes want to remove. =pattern&id[q]=coax&x=0&y=0"]These coax pigtails only cost $1.75 each (you need a male and female) and they really make wiring connections a breeze.

[Powerlet will also build just about anything you can imagine for you, just ask'em
I installed a powerlet outlet under the cig outlet in the glove box because it sucks when the cig adapter comes undone while underway. I just put in a request to powerlet for an AAC-006 that is a powerlet adapter instead of a cig adapter, with usb outlets on it.
I'd be interested in one of those as well. Let us know what you find out from powerlet. Thanks!

I got a couple of these cheap on flea-bay, they work well and the adapter is tight in the cig outlet that I installed on my Tuono, no worries of that vibrating out. Gives you a second USB outlet which comes in handy.

31zOkygtluL._SS500_.jpg
I have one like this that would wiggle out of contact so I made it tighter with a little safety tape, but I would prefer a powerlet plug if it were available just because of the way it locks into place.

"We've got a Powerlet to USB in development right now. I've got a prototype in my hand that I need to start tests on. Production will soon follow, but don't hold your breath."

I've gone through 3 of these Griffin dual USB plugs so far. They are very handy but not very reliable, and short run from the positive plug to the extended rim is a problem with Powerlet cigarette lighter sockets. It's basically too short to fully seat in the Powerlet socket. Even in my car the Griffin's eventually provide unstable power. Luckily I came across this problem in a short trip last fall so I was ready with a backup before leaving on the summer trip.

Also I would be careful of those Powerlet USB plugs. Somehow I ended up winning one of those (without ever having entered a contest) and though its nice that it has a light showing you when you've got power (conspicuously absent from the Griffin) the construction is pretty lame. In typical fashion, the positive contact is on a spring, and retained with a cheap aluminum sleeve that screws onto the plastic body. That cap came off on the trip to Oregon and once inside I could see that the plastic form was rough and interfered with the spring's ability to expand fully.

In summary - I brought along a few extra USB sockets in case of failure and was glad I did. I would recommend any plug have an LED to show that you have power there - a very handy troubleshooting item. Of course the USB plug is a poor electrical connection with no retaining feature and eventually the male plugs on your device cable wear and you end up with sketchy connections.

Warm 'n Safe has something for this application: https://www.warmnsafe.com/usb-3with-pouch/

By default it uses a coax, but it can be hooked to battery tender, BMW socket, or cigarette lighter socket with an adaptor.

I plan to pick one up to run power to my tank bag from my WnS power plug that sprouts up between the seat and tank.

I've gone through 3 of these Griffin dual USB plugs so far. They are very handy but not very reliable, and short run from the positive plug to the extended rim is a problem with Powerlet cigarette lighter sockets. It's basically too short to fully seat in the Powerlet socket. Even in my car the Griffin's eventually provide unstable power. Luckily I came across this problem in a short trip last fall so I was ready with a backup before leaving on the summer trip.

Also I would be careful of those Powerlet USB plugs. Somehow I ended up winning one of those (without ever having entered a contest) and though its nice that it has a light showing you when you've got power (conspicuously absent from the Griffin) the construction is pretty lame. In typical fashion, the positive contact is on a spring, and retained with a cheap aluminum sleeve that screws onto the plastic body. That cap came off on the trip to Oregon and once inside I could see that the plastic form was rough and interfered with the spring's ability to expand fully.

In summary - I brought along a few extra USB sockets in case of failure and was glad I did. I would recommend any plug have an LED to show that you have power there - a very handy troubleshooting item. Of course the USB plug is a poor electrical connection with no retaining feature and eventually the male plugs on your device cable wear and you end up with sketchy connections.
That is indeed weird. This thing sticks perfectly in my aftermarket outlet, and it hasn't come lose once in probably 3000 miles of twisties on a very hard riding bike... Must be a slight difference in diameter and length between the standard FJR onboard outlet and my aftermarket one!

Last edited by a moderator: