Midland BT2 update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucky

Reaction score
I have had my Midland BT2 headphone set now for three riding seasons now. No real complaints for what the main purpose, which is communications with my wife on the back of the bike. Works fine for that, giving about 6 hours of constant on use, more if using the voice activated on feature. Pairing to my cellphone is fine too. However recently, it appears that one of the wired sets (the two earpieces and wired mic) plug that plugs into the main unit only was working some of the time. If you wiggled the connection you could hear it go in and out. Switching the main units didn't change anything, so I was sure it was the one molded plug that connects the 3 wires going into the helmet for the speakers and mic was causing the problem.

In my opinion, a poor design from the start for several reasons. First the "L" moided piece (that plugs into the main unit) is to long and forces a sharp 90 degree bend for the wires to go behind the headliner. Second, the metal connector on the molded piece that pushes into the main unit has a somewhat sloppy fit and easily can work loose (which it has occasionally) and in my opinion contributed to the intermittend signal and ultimate failure.

Midland now sells their "Next" unit. Gets good reviews on webbikeworld. Anyway, I called Midland (good customer service in my opinion) and talked to someone in support who acknowledged what I had said and said their wiring set for the Next will work in the BT2 and is much improved with better grade wiring and a molded metal plug that fits tight in the unit. They sell it for about $55 each delivered. However on Amazon you can get it for about $32.50 delivered. So I ordered one (part #BTH 103) . Just as Midland said. Far superior design. Fits very snug. Replaced the set and now everything is fine. Ordered another one to keep as a spare as I read that on the BT2 this is a relatively common problem. Will post if I see other problems with the headsets.