Midland CB Radio - Where do you put it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesignFlaw06

Reaction score
Alright, so I've read several posts about people using the Midland CB Radio the 75-822 or something like that. And the only mountings for the handheld CBs I've seen have been on the handlebars. Frankly, I just don't like the way that looks. J&M is pricey, so I was leaning towards the Midland with a Starcom as a cheaper alternative.

Will that CB fit in the glove compartment on the left side of the bike? And if so is it possible to run from there to a license plate mount antenna? Has anyone done something like this? I've tried doing the search, and haven't found what I'm looking for.

The way I figure it, it keeps it hidden and out of the way. I don't plan on using it, unless I'm riding with some of the touring bikes in our group. And even then, we'll probably always be on the same channel. So I don't need handlebar access right? Or am I mistaken there too?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Tim

Alright, so I've read several posts about people using the Midland CB Radio the 75-822 or something like that. And the only mountings for the handheld CBs I've seen have been on the handlebars. Frankly, I just don't like the way that looks. J&M is pricey, so I was leaning towards the Midland with a Starcom as a cheaper alternative.
Will that CB fit in the glove compartment on the left side of the bike? And if so is it possible to run from there to a license plate mount antenna? Has anyone done something like this? I've tried doing the search, and haven't found what I'm looking for.

The way I figure it, it keeps it hidden and out of the way. I don't plan on using it, unless I'm riding with some of the touring bikes in our group. And even then, we'll probably always be on the same channel. So I don't need handlebar access right? Or am I mistaken there too?

Tim
By the time you mess around getting marginal results out of the Starcom/Midland setup you will have paid for a J&M setup that actually works, IMHO. Placing the handheld where you can adjust volume and squelch, which happens a lot, is a pain. The radio is too large for the glove box especially with the adaptor to run an external antenna. I fought with my setup for 2 years before I sold it and bought a J&M system. The Starcom does do somethings well but using it for cb bike to bike is not one of them.

Burk

I use a Cobra HH 38 WX/St with an Autocom system. The Cobra is similar in size to the Midland and resides in my tankbag. I don't believe it would fit in the glove box unless you did some like cut out the bottom. I took a couple of pieces of tubing and attached to the squelch and volume knobs. These stick out of the tankbag, allowing me to adjust both while the radio stays out of the weather.

I agree that the J&M unit is "the way to go for CB", but that's one of the things that keeps me out of CB and into GMRS. I can't stomach all that stuff on the bars and in my common vision.

I disagree that Starcom doesn't do CB well. Starcom works just fine if you find a good location for the CB unit itself. As already mentioned, it's all about location, location, location.

:)

Tim
By the time you mess around getting marginal results out of the Starcom/Midland setup you will have paid for a J&M setup that actually works, IMHO. Placing the handheld where you can adjust volume and squelch, which happens a lot, is a pain. The radio is too large for the glove box especially with the adaptor to run an external antenna. I fought with my setup for 2 years before I sold it and bought a J&M system. The Starcom does do somethings well but using it for cb bike to bike is not one of them.

Burk
Been there done that.......good advice. J&m for CB.

Well where did you LOCATE your CB???? I tried this setup for weeks talked to Jeff at Bikeeffects and never got the CB issue resolved. never could get it to work right. I finally went to GMRS radios and it works great. I am interested in how you got the CB's working though, since I still have them...

I agree that the J&M unit is "the way to go for CB", but that's one of the things that keeps me out of CB and into GMRS. I can't stomach all that stuff on the bars and in my common vision.
I disagree that Starcom doesn't do CB well. Starcom works just fine if you find a good location for the CB unit itself. As already mentioned, it's all about location, location, location.

:)

Here's a handheld CB with Autocom setup that works just fine for me...

You have to slide the picture over to see the radio, the picture was to highlight the spot mirrors. At this time this is the only pic of the radio that I have.

100_1451.jpg

Bananas!

Last edited by a moderator: