Mileage On The Oem Tires?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am going to try some Metzeler Z6's again. I put them on my FZ1 and they were great! They have a thick center and are angled great for the more spirited riding. They have great grip and are usually pretty predictable. I have never liked Bridgestone...everyone that has ever used them has had cupping on the front tire...ugh.

1st set went 10K.

2nd set changed to an BT-010-G on front. (OE for a 929)

(less cupping, but wearing at same rate as the 020 rear)

I don't think I'll make 10K, because I'll swap to Avon just before going to the EOM.

The BT-010-G is an excellent match with the the BT-020 rear.

Plus side = premium corner traction, no issue in the wet, less cupping.

Minus side = Side wall pops out at 95-100 mph. Becomes unstable above 110mph.

So, if this fits your riding style, it can be an excellent choice.

10,745 miles out of the OEM Bridgestones on my '04 FJR, could've probably gone another 750-1000 miles before fully hitting the wear bars. Ran the Bridgestones at 40/40 psi. Replaced with Avons, currently have 8500 miles on the Avons, running them at 42/42 psi, estimate I will get at least 11,000, maybe 12,000 miles wear. I love the Avons, great on wet roads, never had them feel like they were even close to letting loose, no need to try anything else for me, staying with the Avons. My son and I are also running Avons on our GSXR sportbikes. Most of my Beemer buddies are running Avons also.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California :agent:

I only got about 4K out of my 020's. I then put on Pilot Sports and got 7k out of a front and 2 rears. I now have the Z6s and LOVE them.

I must be pretty easy on my tires as I have 7500 miles on the original BT 020's and still have a good amount of tread on them. The front has some slight cupping but not too bad.

My 'Stones were at the wear bar at 1500 miles and complete toast at 2000. The Avons look like new at 3000 miles. Very happy with them

Al :D

I am newto all this and note that many of you get very different mileage out of a range of tyres. I see you quote 42/42. Is this something that I am missing as over here in Northern Ireland my book says 36/36 or 42/36 two up.

>I am newto all this and note that many of you get very different mileage out of a >range of tyres. I see you quote 42/42. Is this something that I am missing as >over here in Northern Ireland my book says 36/36 or 42/36 two up.

For the past 15 years, I've followed advice I was given by a Metzler tire rep on tire pressure for my '87 GL1200. I was running Metzler's ML2 highway touring tires and only getting 12,000 miles or so wear from them. I called Metzler and their rep said that, to maximize tire wear, they recommended running their tires 2-4 pounds under maximum recommended tire pressure as indicated on the tire IF you're riding one up, and to run at FULL maximum recommended tire pressures if you're riding two up. I started following that recommendation and have been getting 18,000-21,000 miles wear out of the tires on my GL1200. I also started doing the same thing on my other street bikes, including the GSXR sportbikes that my son and I have. Our mileage has been outstanding and we have not noticed any deterioration in handling, etc. etc. on any of the bikes.

When I got my '04 FJR in October, 2003, I read recommendations on the EZBoard from Warchild and other LD and IBR FJR riders about running 42/42 in the Avons and Bridgestone BT020's, for good handling and tire wear, so I followed that advice. I got 10,745 miles wear from the OEM Bridgestones (and could have gone probably another 700 plus miles before fully hitting the wear bars) and I expect to get around 11-12,000 miles out of the Avons I now have on the FJR. I weigh about 225, I've always thought that the service manual tire pressure recommendations like the 36/36 for the FJR are based on much lighter weight riders. But you should do what you're comfortable with, what feels right for you on the bike, based on how you ride and the conditions you ride under.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

:agent:

It depends on a lot more than just the pressure. I was running mine at 42/42 and was showing cords on the originals in 2800 miles. But, there was a high percentage of full throttle starts, a bit of gravel roads where the rear doesn't stop spinning, and a lot of high speed riding. (no burn-outs)

I've adjusted my riding style a bit and also due to the lack of power here in Colorado from the altitude and got about 6,000 miles on the last 020 I ran.

Grady A. Dunham

>It depends on a lot more than just the pressure. I was running mine at 42/42 and was >showing cords on the originals in 2800 miles. But, there was a high percentage of full >throttle starts, a bit of gravel roads where the rear doesn't stop spinning, and a lot of >high speed riding. (no burn-outs)

Agree absolutely. Speed, road surfaces (hard rolled asphalt is the least wearing on tires) and load are all additional factors. And smooth throttle control is probably one of the major factors after tire pressure. My son and I have done amateur roadracing and motocross and cross country dirt bike racing and you very quickly learn the benefit of smooth throttle control when you get into racing. If not, you're going to be on the ground a lot. It carries over to street bike riding.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

:agent:

I currently have 5300 miles on the BT020's. The back tire was wearing perfect until i let my friend use my bike for his Iron Butt Ride. Now the back has a flat spot in the center, But still has about 1000 miles of center left.

The front is wearing fantastic! The only thing that is strange is i have a little strip of rubber in between the bead and the tire. Someone says it's just the mold casting and it wont affect anything,But still weird.

Adam