Miles per Gallons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a question for all out there what is the miles per gallon every one is averaging?

On the trip to NAFO in Golden and back I went 3,016.3 miles and use 64.961 gallons of gas. Doing the numbers I got 46.43 miles per gallon. Note this was riding two up and pulling a trailer, average speed 75-80. Question to all out there is this in with all of your numbers?

Aircraftrunner

I have a question for all out there what is the miles per gallon every one is averaging?
On the trip to NAFO in Golden and back I went 3,016.3 miles and use 64.961 gallons of gas. Doing the numbers I got 46.43 miles per gallon. Note this was riding two up and pulling a trailer, average speed 75-80. Question to all out there is this in with all of your numbers?

Aircraftrunner
I would say for the speed you were going, 2-up, and pulling a trailer.... That's excellent mileage.

I get about that mileage just with me on it and doing all open road miles at a much lower speed.

Aircraftrunner
That seems very good. What kind of trailer are you pulling?

What aircraft runner didn't tell y'all was that he was running downhill with a big tailwind both ways, his speedo over-reads by 10 mph and his pillion was a chihuahua .

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got back from Gillette Wy. a couple of weeks ago running 80-90 two-up pulling a 400lb trailer I averaged 36.4 for the 2900 mile trip

Getting 42-46 mpg from my 2005 on the highway.

That's with a passenger, a loaded top-box and a V-Stream windshield at an average speed of 70 mph.

Can't complain about the mileage.

I once pushed that "average mpg" thingy on the dash and I think it said 39.5 mpg... If I cared about gas milage I would have bought a scooter.

I do know I get around 60-70 smiles per gallon though........

Aircraftrunner
I'm glad you asked. Since I bought my 2004 in late September, I'd had been averaging about 40 mpg (as calculated by indicated miles traveled and gallons pumped). Based on posts I had seen claiming closer to 50 I was wondering why. Then I went on a trip of only highway (tho 70+ mph) and clocked 50 mpg. Most of my riding is a daily commute of 14 mi each way. About half of it is 50-60, the other half stop and go.

I think this info is great. I get about 39mpg but I have an '05 with a powercommander and the 001map that came with the unit. I'll bet that some of the better mileage numbers are for the bikes without a powercommander.

Anyone getting 40 or better with a powercommander?

I have an 03 with a PC and a Holeshot full system. I average 42 on the road and have gotten as high as 46 on the way to NAFO. I get around 38 in the commute with Ca. gas.

On a recent trip to Reno and back I aveaged about 38 mpg. I have a 2+ 2+ aftermarket shield, had it fully extended for long periods of time and averaged 80-85.

I did a loop around Tahoe with my wife on the back and averaged 45+ for that leg.... Higher speeds really kill the milage....

I have a nitro X module/chip and run it on the power mode all the time. Get between 39-42 on the AE with a the extra large CalSci shield and Yammie top box.

With stock shield and no bags and riding 60 mph I've gotten 48 consistently.

All on California gas which for whatever reason you pollute less with but use more as it is less efficient so maybe in the end you pollute more.

I typically get 42-52 depending.

Your numbers sound reasonable.

i average right around 39-40 mpg.

i took a ride last weekend with some guys who all own cruisers. i averaged 54 mpg. i also noticed one of my in-ear earplugs had wiggled loose. on a 45 mph road, i was able to take my gloves off, take sunglasses off, take helmet off, reinsert 'phone, put helmet back on, snap in tight, put sunglasses back on, and put gloves back on. that was one of the things that helped keep me awake. ( :