Miles per Gallons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get about 25-30 on the highway, but I think that's because of the extra wind resistance with the front tire so high off the ground.

Coming back from the WORD! rally... Running 65-70 on flat, open highway...

freakish_mpg.jpg

IIRC, my riding partners kaitsdad & TurboDave were getting better than that.

I'm still in shock. Normally get 32-35 city and 41-46 highway.

I'm wondering how everyone is getting their mileage numbers? Do you simply read the bike computer readout or are you making an actual calculation using total miles since last fillup divided by gallons pumped?

Before installing my PCIII with calculated smoothness map, my bike computer always read a little high. After PCIII, the discrepancy has gone through the roof! For example I'm looking at my receipt from last nights fillup. I reset the avg MPG on the bike at each fillup and it told me I was getting 43.1mpg since last fillup. I pumped 5.175 gallons and had gone 187.9 miles since last fillup. The actual mileage is...... drum roll please.......... 36.3mpg !! :dribble: That's a significant difference! :angry:

So all this mileage comparison is useless unless everyone lists all the details.

I have a question for all out there what is the miles per gallon every one is averaging?
On the trip to NAFO in Golden and back I went 3,016.3 miles and use 64.961 gallons of gas. Doing the numbers I got 46.43 miles per gallon. Note this was riding two up and pulling a trailer, average speed 75-80. Question to all out there is this in with all of your numbers?

Aircraftrunner
That seems very good. What kind of trailer are you pulling?

The trailer is a Neosho with flexiride suspension axles and swivel hitch. I am using a hich from open road outfitters.

I'm wondering how everyone is getting their mileage numbers? Do you simply read the bike computer readout or are you making an actual calculation using total miles since last fillup divided by gallons pumped?
Usually I rely on the bike's computer since each of the three or four times I've checked (calculated on trip meter miles divided by gallons pumped), it was dead balls-on accurate. That's more than enough accuracy for my needs. I simply use the AV MPG to gauge how much further I can go before I'm pushing the 600+ lb beast.

The estimate I posted earlier is just that, an estimate of observed averages. I have no need or desire to be more accurate than that.

YMMV :D

I rode 7000 miles in July, including NAFO. Honest average for the entire trip was 53.2 mpg. But rode mostly like a grandma, with the exceptions of Nevada desert, and 3 runs on Bonneville salt of 150+. On the FJR, speed counts much more than terrain; don't matter if you are running on flat or hilly ground.

As I should have said before 39Mpg with PCIII on an '05, calculated miles driven divided by gallons used to fill it up to the ring again, while on the center stand. Driving hwy mileage and going with the flow of traffic in California, so about 5-10 mph over most of the time.

Throw those dashboard calculations out of the equation. I was getting about 349 miles per tank but then figured it wasnt accurate since it was being trailered at the time. :download: But thats the only inflated mileage I have ever got. LOL

I have a question for all out there what is the miles per gallon every one is averaging?
On the trip to NAFO in Golden and back I went 3,016.3 miles and use 64.961 gallons of gas. Doing the numbers I got 46.43 miles per gallon. Note this was riding two up and pulling a trailer, average speed 75-80. Question to all out there is this in with all of your numbers?

Aircraftrunner
Wow, I think the trailer must have it's own power source. That is astounding mileage at that speed, two up, and with a trailer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dribble:

Ed

Both of the FJR's that I have owned have gotten high 40's to low 50's as well. The altitude out here probably helps some.

I reset the AVG MPG function with every fillup. In the almost 9,500 miles that I've put on my FJR this year, the average mileage by calculation is 46.0 and by the bike computer's calculation is 46.1.

YMMV... :rolleyes:

04 FJR with 56,000 miles on it. 3700 mile trip from California to NAFO and return. Log book keeps track of all gas and times each day. Total miles 3629, total gas 69.682 gal, MPG 52.08.

Some high speed at Speed limit plus 20, mostly speed limit plus 12. Right at speed limit in small towns.

Longrider

Maybe 38 mpg if I'm pushing my limits and having fun on twisties. I approach 60 mpg (more like 56 or 57) on a long boring road trip with friends (Blue Ridge Parkway, 45mph, 5 gear). Always 93 octane.

Before installing my PCIII with calculated smoothness map, my bike computer always read a little high. After PCIII, the discrepancy has gone through the roof! For example I'm looking at my receipt from last nights fillup. I reset the avg MPG on the bike at each fillup and it told me I was getting 43.1mpg since last fillup. I pumped 5.175 gallons and had gone 187.9 miles since last fillup. The actual mileage is...... drum roll please.......... 36.3mpg !! :dribble: That's a significant difference! :angry:

So all this mileage comparison is useless unless everyone lists all the details.
On my 07 I was getting 43 to 44 every tank and the computer was right on when checked against the miles driven and the gallons pumped. Then I had the ECU changed on the recall and the mileage dropped to between 41 and 42. Interstingly enough, the computer now reads consistently about 1.5 mpg more than when calculating it manually. It's almost as if Yamaha knew the fuel map in the new ECU was a little richer, so they manipulated the computer to make the rider think the mpg didn't change...

All time high of 49.2 on 87

100% stock and I'm not sure if mine has the ECM recall or not.

today rode down to san diego just to grab lunch with the wifey and back from riverside,186 miles and 3.6 gallons.51 mpg at 75 to 80.

Look, I understand some people obsess about this topic (not to imply you are :) but who cares. The FJR is not known for being easy on gas. I have not checked and probably won't because, unless I notice it really sucking down the fuel = possible problem I just ride it and put the fuel in when it needs it.

I talked about this on the the VStrom forum when I rode one. I quickly realized that it depends on too many factors. There are guys getting 60 miles + over there with 650's. I never did because I weigh much more than those guys.

Does one drive like a grandma? you might get better mileage out of an FJR. Man, bikes get pretty good mileage regardless so, ride it, don't worry if someone is getting better mileage than you.

2 cents worth. :) Have a nice day.

Ran my 07 to Yellowstone and back 2,800 miles this week. 50 - 58 mpg, including numerous break away sprints and a run to 140mph on the gps :yahoo: . Fast and frugal.

based upon my bikes odo:

Total miles for NAFO: 4073

Total gallons: 88.8

Average miles per gallon: 45.87