Minuteman 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CanadianFjr,

Have you done this rally? Are you doing it again this year?

I'm going to sign up and I'm wondering if many FJR's will be there.

Bill

Bill,

I think I may sign up for this also. I would like to do the SS1K. I'm going to have to wait until it gets a little bit closer though.

Axeman,

Will be cool if you can make it. I'll be signing up for the ss and getting a room booked in Jan when the registration opens. I'm going to try and do the ss and get as many points as I can. It will be interesting to see how a first timer does.

Bill

I plan to do the MM1K again this year. I'm not sure if I want to do the SS1K again or do the 24 hour. The SS1K route was a blast with plenty of time to complete the route. Some folks felt the weather was a little odd for that time of year but I felt right at home. All that was missing was the snow.

Canadian FJR

Hey Canadian FJR :) Mike here, met you at the MM1K last year. I have an 06. This is a first rate rally and I highly recommend you sign up guys. I'm not sure if I will be there this year or not, have to see about work.

Mike

Saratoga Springs, NY

Canadian FJR and ssfd110,

Glad to hear it's worth doing again. I'm going to need all your advice because I've never done a rally before.

Bill

Hi Bill,

Rob does a great job with the newbies. The route info will be posted in plenty of time before the rally. I would suggest that you read as many posts on LD riding as possible and figure out what works for you. I would also suggest to arrive early to get teched and take the oppertunity to meet the other riders. You will fgure out very quickly that the LD community is a great bunch of folks. Then two weeks after you finish the MM1K take a little ride up north and do the ALDERS rally. www.aldersland.com

Canadian FJR

Then two weeks after you finish the MM1K take a little ride up north and do the ALDERS rally. www.aldersland.com
CanadianFjr,

I'm ok with staying on the bike for a long ride, it's just when I get lost it's usually not a big deal to me. I'm thinking I'll add a couple more compasses to my tank bag to make sure I'm heading in the right direction :lol: I'll also turn the sound on for directions on my gps so it will tell me, "Turn around dummy your going the wrong way!" What interested me in the MM1k was the fact that they send out the route before the rally and it seams only the bonus details need to be mapped the night before.

I know the riding down there in NS/NB is a lot more fun than traffic filled Boston. I've checked out the Alders site, looks great!

Thanks for the advice,

Bill

Just another vote for the MM1K and what's cool about Rob's rally is that they undertake all of the IBA paperwork for you and as long as you have the right mileage, gas reciepts from the required 4 corners etc you get to go home with your SS1K complete, licence plate holder, certificate etc etc.

Hope to see you there.

Andy

I know the riding down there in NS/NB is a lot more fun than traffic filled Boston. I've checked out the Alders site, looks great!Bill
I'd say there is about a 90% chance that you won't go near Boston. I rode it in '04 and rode mostly in ME, NB, NH, and VT.

Doesn't Andy Kirby ride a ZRX and talk like a Brit?

I know the riding down there in NS/NB is a lot more fun than traffic filled Boston. I've checked out the Alders site, looks great!Bill
I'd say there is about a 90% chance that you won't go near Boston. I rode it in '04 and rode mostly in ME, NB, NH, and VT.

Doesn't Andy Kirby ride a ZRX and talk like a Brit?

1/2 right, he has a Honda ST13.

Mike

ChrisW,

I don't think I have a choice in this as the SS1k checkpoints have been Bangor ME, Wyoming RI, Milford CT. This brings you down I95/91 on a Saturday night through Bangor, Portland, Boston, Providence, Bridgeport, New Haven, Hartford and Springfield. Can you say heavy traffic?

But thats ok, to make up for all the city riding in the latter part of the SS, early on across the top of New England there is a dirt road built into the recommended SS route!

And I thought this would be an easy way to get into the IB! :blink:

Maybe this years will be different, we'll see.

But thats ok, to make up for all the city riding in the latter part of the SS, early on across the top of New England there is a dirt road built into the recommended SS route!
And I thought this would be an easy way to get into the IB! :blink:

Maybe this years will be different, we'll see.
Dirt Road! WTF....Do I have to throw a knobby on the bike?

95 on a Saturday night wouldn't be too bad I don't think. If it was a Friday or a Sunday it might be a different story.

Dirt Road! WTF....Do I have to throw a knobby on the bike? 95 on a Saturday night wouldn't be too bad I don't think. If it was a Friday or a Sunday it might be a different story.
Look at the pic on this ride report

mm1k 2006 report

I mapped out last years suggested route across the top of NE and I think SR58 is dirt. The dirt looks pretty smooth, but there are alternatives routes. I don't mind a little dirt, but I'm sticking to hardtop for this ride.

The link for the registration form is working as of this morning.

www.minuteman1000.com

They do it snail mail. They handed out the room assignments in 2005 so it pays to get in early. I got a lousy room across town. I think they are changing the venue this year so it may not be an issue.